New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Lightroom import edits

Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom import edits

I consider myself reasonably savvy with Lightroom, having owned and used it since version 1, but I've run into something that has me scratching my head.

Here's the thing. For a while, I had LR set to apply an auto tone action to every image on import, this being an easy way to normalize minor exposure variations between shots. However, this obviously causes problems if I'm consciously exposing for a high or low key look, and so I set LR back to applying NO develop settings on import.

Now the problem is, LR STILL applies the auto tone to every image.

So, my questions are: 1) How do I prevent LR from doing this, and 2) Is there an easy way to REMOVE this action from images that have already been imported? In the History list, the first action is always "IMPORT (date/time)", with no mention of the auto tone action, and thus no way to remove it.

Help, suggestions or commiseration appreciated.

C

Apr 16, 2016 at 05:51 PM
Focus Locus
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom import edits

Chris, let me preface this by saying that I suck at LR, and have little experience with the program.

But I just so happened to be going through the preferences and features of LR, menu by menu, and may have stumbled across something that may or may not answer your first question, which is how to prevent LR from applying a previously set auto tone to images automatically on import.

Open LR, click on Import button bottom left, and when that opens, look at the middle of the right hand menu pane for "Apply During Import". Under that, there is a drop down menu for "Develop Settings". Be sure that "None" is selected, rather than "User Preset".

Again, if you already knew and checked that, forgive the hubris of my suggestion. I'm the least qualified person on FM to be offering LR advice, but like I said, I just happened to stumble across that feature this morning.

Apr 16, 2016 at 06:49 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom import edits

Thanks for your input, Focus,

Yes, Apply During Input/Develop Setting is set to "NONE"… and yet LR continues to apply auto tone on input. This is the source of my confusion.

I do appreciate your help

Best
Chris

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:12 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom import edits

Can you zero everything and create a Preset for that and then have that zero everything as LR opens the file?

Other than that I'd uninstall and reinstall in a different directory. It sounds like a bug.

IMHO LR's auto tone is dreadful, it just brightens everything whether it needs it or not.

Apr 17, 2016 at 03:30 AM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom import edits

That's worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion, dhphoto.

C

Apr 17, 2016 at 07:10 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom import edits

I never knew about that import preset button. I'm curious how you set up an action. I thought you could only create an action in PS. It looks like you created this on the library tab?

I'm just curious who you did did because I set up all my adjustments by ISO. I took a series of shots, 100, 200, 400, 800 and so on. Then I applied basic adjustments, NR, sharpening, lens correction, CA, etc and used the Develop drop down tab - Set -Default Settings. I did this for each file. It does not tie in with presets, etc. That apply presets when you open the import page has been on "none" since day one.

Apr 17, 2016 at 09:48 AM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom import edits

Go into the Develop module, press the Option/Alt key and hold it down.

The Reset button on the lower-right will change to Set Default...

Click Set Default and you'll see a dialog that has the option to reset your develop settings to the Lightroom defaults which doesn't include Auto Tone.

Apr 17, 2016 at 03:19 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom import edits

Solved!

In Lightroom preferences, under Presets, the first checkbox is for "Apply auto tone adjustments".

I unchecked that, and Bob's my uncle.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, everyone!

C

Apr 17, 2016 at 03:32 PM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom import edits

Thanks for reporting back your fix.

Apr 17, 2016 at 03:33 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightroom import edits

Zenon Char wrote:
I never knew about that import preset button. I'm curious how you set up an action. I thought you could only create an action in PS. It looks like you created this on the library tab?

I'm just curious who you did did because I set up all my adjustments by ISO. I took a series of shots, 100, 200, 400, 800 and so on. Then I applied basic adjustments, NR, sharpening, lens correction, CA, etc and used the Develop drop down tab - Set -Default Settings. I did this for each file. It does not tie in with presets,
...Show more

Well, yes, I misused the term "actions." I should have said "presets" instead. Apologies for confusing the issue.

C

Apr 17, 2016 at 03:38 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lightroom import edits

Chris Court wrote:
Well, yes, I misused the term "actions." I should have said "presets" instead. Apologies for confusing the issue.

C

NP. It was just in case I missed something.

Apr 17, 2016 at 04:49 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lightroom import edits

Chris Court wrote:
Solved!

In Lightroom preferences, under Presets, the first checkbox is for "Apply auto tone adjustments".

C

I thought I had read that you had already tried that. That would certainly be the likely culprit

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:19 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lightroom import edits

Presets can be made to apply to specific camera/ISO combinations. Sometimes you can edit or create a preset thinking that it will apply to all new photos but get surprised when it only applies to a specific camera and a specific ISO. It may not have been the problem in this case but it's worth looking out for. There is a setting in preferences to control this behaviour.

- Alan

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:57 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.