Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Milky Way over Big Cypress [Everglades] - Edited

Max_Pain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Milky Way over Big Cypress [Everglades] - Edited

Hi guys!

I've always wanted to photograph the Milky Way, which I'm glad to say I finally learned (am learning?) to do this year. Living in Miami, light pollution here is terrible and I've never, in my life, seen the galactic core until I intentionally set out to find it so I could photograph it. Turns out if I drive about 1.5 hours from home so I can get about 40 miles into the Everglades, light pollution gets to a decent level.

Anyways, I went out last weekend and again last night. The first two photos are from the first time I went, in which I waited until sunrise. Last three are from last night, when we had to leave early due to severe fog - this meant my star trails ended up with only 98 images rather than the ~200 I was hoping to use. For this being my first star trails photograph attempt ever, I'm very happy with the result

All images shot with a Canon 6D and Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 except for the star trails, that was taken with my wife's 70D and 18-135mm IS STM kit lens (so I could use Magic Lantern's sweet intervalometer feature).

CC welcome. I know I need better foreground...but given my geographic location I'm a bit restricted by what we have and the light pollution around. If you know of a place with little light pollution and a more interesting foreground in South Florida, I would love to hear about it!

Thanks!

EDIT: Just noticed that my thread was modified by a moderator without so much as a question as to which photos should be removed or even a courtesy notification that it had been edited. As a result there was no star trail photo in the thread for the last 7 hours after all the writing in the post about the star trail photo...
Mods, is it really that difficult to communicate with the users before taking unilateral actions like that? I've edited the post now to reflect which two I would prefer removed than the two that were removed by the moderation team. Thank you.

Edited on Apr 16, 2016 at 03:37 PM

Apr 16, 2016 at 01:03 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.