Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2016 · Techart AF adapter for M (and other) lenses for A7-II and...

d-intrigue
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Techart AF adapter for M (and other) lenses for A7-II and A7R-II

Oh, and firmware 2 results in a quieter, less 'chirpy' motor.

Apr 20, 2016 at 01:30 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Techart AF adapter for M (and other) lenses for A7-II and A7R-II

d-intrigue wrote:
Of course, the Techart moves the entire lens. But the question is whether the floating element is only engaged at specific distances; I.e., close up. If the element moves throughout the entire focus range then manual focus is the only way to get the optimal benefit of the FLE.

In this case it would be best to have a manual adapter for lenses with FLE, as there is no focus assist with the Techart when manually focusing using the lenses focus ring, unless I just haven't figured out how to enable it yet.

There is also the pending smartphone app which
...Show more

the floating element on the 35 lux FLE does changes it's position relative to the other optical elements throughout the focus range. how much impact that has on image quality probably varies with focus distance though.

in order for focus magnification to be engaged by turning the focus ring the techart adapter would need to have something on it to detect movement of the rangefinder focus follower on the lens and the adapter would need to communicate that to the camera. as far as i have seen the techart adapter does not have the physical mechanism to do this, but i haven't seen any particularly good images of the adapter mouth to tell for sure.

if you are just getting close with manual focus and fine focusing with AF you should probably just use peaking rather than magnification to save time and make composition easier.

Apr 20, 2016 at 03:02 PM
d-intrigue
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Techart AF adapter for M (and other) lenses for A7-II and A7R-II

Correct, there is no way for the Techart to know if the focus ring is being turned.

I finally was able to determine how to enable focus assist, as outlined in the earlier post.

But peaking does not show (nor is focus magnify possible) by default when in AF mode, one has to toggle AF/MF Ctrl first.

So, the process for my setup is:

button press to toggle MF/enable peaking
coarse focus
button press to toggle back to AF
back-button focus AF

Edited on Apr 20, 2016 at 03:28 PM · View previous versions

Apr 20, 2016 at 03:14 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Techart AF adapter for M (and other) lenses for A7-II and A7R-II

d-intrigue wrote:
Correct, there is no way for the Techart to know if the focus ring is being turned.

I finally was able to determine how to enable focus assist, as outlined in the earlier post.

But peaking does not show (nor is focus magnify possible) by default when in AF mode, one has to toggle AF/MF Ctrl first.

So, it's a button press to toggle MF/enable peaking; coarse focus; button press to toggle back to AF, then back-button focus AF.

ah, did not know that. i've never used the AF on my a7... even in dmf mode?

Apr 20, 2016 at 03:18 PM
d-intrigue
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Techart AF adapter for M (and other) lenses for A7-II and A7R-II

With the Techart attached, DMF and MF are grayed-out in the menu. The only available options are:

AF-S
AF-C

with Wide, Center, Flexible Spot (L, M, or S.)

Toggling AF/MF Ctrl eliminates the Focus Mode menu option entirely (grayed out.) So DMF and MF can't be selected either way.

This is on an A7-II.

Apr 20, 2016 at 03:25 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Techart AF adapter for M (and other) lenses for A7-II and A7R-II

d-intrigue wrote:
Ok I finally discovered the solution. Bear in mind I am new to Sony so, beg your pardon.

I had AF/MF Ctrl Toggle set to the center button. That might be the default, but in any case focus assist only works when this is toggled. I have focus assist magnification set to C2, so pressing center button will show focus peaking immediately and then C2 will magnify.

For an FLE lens then, get close with manual focus and then toggle back to AF to lock focus. Several button presses isn't ideal, perhaps this canbe streamlined somehow. Ideas?

Focus accuracy in the getting close part of this is unimportant, you just want the floating element in roughly the right place. So the easy solution would be not to switch to manual focus at all, just set the approximate distance on the focussing ring of the lens, and then use AF to nail the exact focus. Much quicker, and I would be surprised if measurably worse. just so long as your distance guess is even approximately right.

Apr 21, 2016 at 01:23 AM
d-intrigue
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Techart AF adapter for M (and other) lenses for A7-II and A7R-II

Yes, if one can live without peaking, that is the technique to use, leaving the adapter in AF mode.

Apr 21, 2016 at 01:30 AM
d-intrigue
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Techart AF adapter for M (and other) lenses for A7-II and A7R-II

I seriously doubt the FLE being out of optimal position would be perceptible in most situations; if for example the subject is at 10 feet and the focus ring on lens was at infinity, with the Techart moving the lens forward to obtain focus. My guess is the effect of the FLE is mostly when focused near MFD.

Apr 21, 2016 at 01:34 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Techart AF adapter for M (and other) lenses for A7-II and A7R-II

d-intrigue wrote:
I seriously doubt the FLE being out of optimal position would be perceptible in most situations; if for example the subject is at 10 feet and the focus ring on lens was at infinity, with the Techart moving the lens forward to obtain focus. My guess is the effect of the FLE is mostly when focused near MFD.

Easy to test, no?

K-H.

Apr 21, 2016 at 01:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

d-intrigue
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Techart AF adapter for M (and other) lenses for A7-II and A7R-II

Luckily I don't have any lenses with floating elements.

It would be an interesting exercise!

Apr 21, 2016 at 01:57 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Techart AF adapter for M (and other) lenses for A7-II and A7R-II

d-intrigue wrote:
Luckily I don't have any lenses with floating elements.

It would be an interesting exercise!

Thanks. I have the Summilux-M ASPH 50/1.4, it's pretty finicky about its FLE though We'll see.

Apr 21, 2016 at 03:42 AM
samlee.hk

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Techart AF adapter for M (and other) lenses for A7-II and A7R-II

I had add some pic used by techart LM-EA7

https://www.flickr.com/groups/[email protected]/pool

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:10 AM
azenis
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Techart AF adapter for M (and other) lenses for A7-II and A7R-II

Intrigued to try out the adapter. If anyone is looking to get rid of theirs and go back to MF PM me.

May 24, 2016 at 05:56 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Techart AF adapter for M (and other) lenses for A7-II and A7R-II

k-h.a.w wrote:
Thanks. I have the Summilux-M ASPH 50/1.4, it's pretty finicky about its FLE though We'll see.

After manually pre-focusing, the Summilux-M ASPH 50/1.4 works like a charm with AF.

May 24, 2016 at 06:30 AM
robgo2
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Techart AF adapter for M (and other) lenses for A7-II and A7R-II

k-h.a.w wrote:
After manually pre-focusing, the Summilux-M ASPH 50/1.4 works like a charm with AF.

If you are manually pre-focusing, how much faster is the total focusing time using the TechArt AF vs magnification MF? I would guess that the difference is not very great and that MF is more precise. As I see it, having to pre-focus manually largely defeats the purpose of an AF adapter.

Rob

May 25, 2016 at 08:08 PM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Techart AF adapter for M (and other) lenses for A7-II and A7R-II

Thanks Rob. Well, I would divide my lenses into several groups.

Normal to WA lenses, simply set the M lens to infinity, typically no pre-focusing required.
Lenses where the reach of the adapter's helicoid isn't large enough, so pre-focusing is necessary.
Special lenses, e.g. with floating elements that need to be in the right position, also require pre-focusing.
Extreme close focus, using the adapter's helicoid to achieve closer distances than possible with a rangefinder camera doesn't require pre-focusing but simply turning the M lens focus to closest distance.

I do all of these without relying on magnification or peaking.
Then the adapter focuses more precisely than I possibly could with my aging eyes.
In low light or low contrast scenes the adapter might not achieve focus at all and hunts.
However, if it achieves focus at all, it seems to really nail it.

I consider the adapter a work in progress, an alpha release, maybe a beta.
However, for my specific situation, I derive tremendous benefit from it already.

YMMV!

K-H.

May 26, 2016 at 05:26 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Techart AF adapter for M (and other) lenses for A7-II and A7R-II

Does the adapter work with Eye AF?

Jul 28, 2016 at 05:14 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password