New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Fearless Fiona

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fearless Fiona

I'm not a B&W kinda guy (oddly enough) but I thought this one almost required it. I'm guessing you mono guys might enjoy it, I hope.

Needless to say, I don't have a lot of experience with conversions and kinda winged this one as best I could. I spent way too much time on this (off and on) over a period of several days. I'm not sure if it was worth it or not because now I'm bias towards it due to the time investment.
And I kept hearing Jim whisper in my ear... "if you have to spend more than 5 minutes on an image you should have not taken it in the first place".

Let me know what you think with all aspects of this image and after I get some feedback from you folks I'll share the un-edited sooc jpeg file that shows where this image started.
I'd share it now but I'd like some feedback first to see how I did.

Edit: And yes, as you can tell from this image, I like to make life difficult for myself.

Dave

The mutt

Apr 15, 2016 at 05:42 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fearless Fiona

Hey buddy - Fiona is looking great!

Color issues tend to go away when dealing with mono, eh?

Looking a bit flat and lacking depth at the moment. Unfortunately the subject is white on white, with the most pop coming at the point of max contrast. I feel your midtones need a boost here.

Did you get aggressive with the sharpening around her head/muzzle? Things are looking a little blocky/artifacted in that area.

I'd also consider tightening the crop up some.

Did you happen to convert this with SEP2? Don't be afraid to get heavy with Amplify Black!

Cheers,

Jeff

Apr 15, 2016 at 06:27 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fearless Fiona

beavens wrote:

Looking a bit flat and lacking depth at the moment. Unfortunately the subject is white on white, with the most pop coming at the point of max contrast. I feel your midtones need a boost here.

Did you get aggressive with the sharpening around her head/muzzle? Things are looking a little blocky/artifacted in that area.

Did you happen to convert this with SEP2? Don't be afraid to get heavy with Amplify Black!

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff's helpful comments and suggestions aside, I love this!! It's as if Fiona has survived the turbulent, bubbling rapids, soggy and dripping, but standing tall and assertively, almost statuesque. Definitely worth continuing to work on in pp.

Steve

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:40 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fearless Fiona

eeneryma wrote:
Jeff's helpful comments and suggestions aside, I love this!! It's as if Fiona has survived the turbulent, bubbling rapids, soggy and dripping, but standing tall and assertively, almost statuesque. Definitely worth continuing to work on in pp.

Steve

100%! Stoic is the word that comes to my mind.

She is posing like whoa.

Apr 16, 2016 at 06:40 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fearless Fiona

beavens wrote:

Cheers,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! It's nice not having to worry about color issues but for some reason I loose depth perception when viewing B&W so I usually don't go there. It doesn't make sense and you would think B&W would be more appealing to me.

I just finished an edit with your suggestions in mind. Well except the crop. I have already cropped in a good bit and I don't want to loose the feel of the entire scene. The boulders she was on was actually and island (if you will) and if I trim off the top and left side I'll loose the dynamics of the waterfall and it would just be a bunch of BG clutter without presence.

I started completely over from scratch and skipped a few other NIK modules this time. And yep, I used SEP2 for the conversion. I saw the blockiness that you picked up on but couldn't figure out how to make it go away. I think I have it taken care of now. This was an absolute bitch to work on as it was harsh midday sun with an overwhelming amount of white.

It took me a while to find this "Amplify Black" in which you speak of. With the OP image I din't use any control points so I never saw that adjustment. I used the hell out of those control points this time.

Dave
---------------------------------------------

eeneryma wrote:

Steve

Thank you Steve! You gave me the encouragement I needed to start over from scratch to see if I could put Jeff's suggestion to work.

And yes, she is quite the character. I always thought Westies were kind of a girly, prissy, delicate kind of dogs but she has proven to be just the opposite. Her nick name is "Tank" because she's so rugged and nothing stops her when she puts her mind to it. Hence the harness you see on her. I think I'm going to rig up a vest/saddle for her so she can carry all my photo gear. I'll just have to make sure it's water proof.

Dave

---------------------------------------------

beavens wrote:
100%! Stoic is the word that comes to my mind.

She is posing like whoa.

Exactly!

Dave

The mutt edit

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:22 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fearless Fiona

lighthound wrote:
I just finished an edit with your suggestions in mind. Well except the crop. I have already cropped in a good bit and I don't want to loose the feel of the entire scene. The boulders she was on was actually and island (if you will) and if I trim off the top and left side I'll loose the dynamics of the waterfall and it would just be a bunch of BG clutter without presence.

it took me a while to find this "Amplify Black" in which you speak of. With the OP image I din't use any control points
...Show more

Oh the cropping would not be much - just feel like the right edge isn't offering you much.

Amplify Black is on the Control Points but also normally under Contrast!

Jeff

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:47 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fearless Fiona

Here's the unedited sooc jpeg file that shows where I started from and how bad I screwed up on this shot.
My biggest mistake was that I forgot to take it out of "spot" metering from a previous scene I had just taken. After I locked focus (BBF) I recomposed and it metered on the waterfalls.

I normally don't bother with images this bad but I wanted to try and salvage this one.

Dave

sooc jpeg

Apr 16, 2016 at 01:33 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fearless Fiona

Ever consider pushing it more dramatic?

Almost like a gritty noire superherorine dog.

And your rework is looking better! A big time salvage job for sure in post - you ain't making it easy on yourself!

Jeff

Apr 16, 2016 at 04:45 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.