New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Mac owners - annoyed with iPhoto

Zenon Char
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mac owners - annoyed with iPhoto

coming up when you put a card in a reader? There is a checkbox where you can disable it for a device but every time you format that card it comes back.

I came across this. Scroll down to Old Toad's post. I deleted the container playlist and data and it seems to be working.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6605115?tstart=0

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:06 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mac owners - annoyed with iPhoto

It's no longer "iPhoto," by the way. The name has been changed to "Photos."

Apr 15, 2016 at 07:19 AM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mac owners - annoyed with iPhoto

I stopped using iPhoto a long time ago. It's useful, no doubt, but between LightRoom and Adobe Bridge, I am good.

Apr 15, 2016 at 09:08 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mac owners - annoyed with iPhoto

Stop reformatting the card. Simply remove the files. I have never reformatted unless there was a performance problem.

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:16 AM
phaedon
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mac owners - annoyed with iPhoto

Camera format for life, son.

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:47 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mac owners - annoyed with iPhoto

DanBrown wrote:
It's no longer "iPhoto," by the way. The name has been changed to "Photos."

I realize that. I first put Photo and decided add the "i" in case someone thought it was 3rd party or something.

Apr 15, 2016 at 03:00 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mac owners - annoyed with iPhoto

saaketham wrote:
I stopped using iPhoto a long time ago. It's useful, no doubt, but between LightRoom and Adobe Bridge, I am good.

I have never used it. I just wanted it to stop opening when inserted a card.

Apr 15, 2016 at 03:01 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mac owners - annoyed with iPhoto

This is actually an Apple issue brought on by the latest update. Bottom line, Apple reads the UUID of the card when it's inserted. If it has seen the card before it will deal with it according to the settings in ImageCapture. BUTTT, when you format the card in the camera (which most of us do religiously) a new UUID is written to the card, ImageCapture doesn't recognize it and guess what, Photos launches. Argh!!! BTW: it appears that only Sony doesn't change the UUID upon an in-camera card format.

Solution, although it's a kludge IMO, is to disable Photos from launching upon card insert. In a terminal window issue the following command:

defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool YES

To undo the change, replace the 'YES' with 'NO'

Matt

Apr 16, 2016 at 08:27 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mac owners - annoyed with iPhoto

Thanks for that info. I'm going to save that in case it starts to act up again.

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:01 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mac owners - annoyed with iPhoto

Well that playlist thing did not work. I put in another card and Photos came up. I used that command in the terminal and it worked. Thanks again.

Apr 16, 2016 at 03:17 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mac owners - annoyed with iPhoto

Just goes to show ya, Apple does not know that much about real photographers. Of course, looking at Photos app pretty much explains it.

Glad it works for you.

Apr 16, 2016 at 04:23 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mac owners - annoyed with iPhoto

It is a typical ploy by Apple trying to force users to use only their applications. They are a pain in the ass.

Just like their pain-in-the-ass iTunes and iCloud.

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:45 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mac owners - annoyed with iPhoto

Yes they are. iCloud scares me.

Apr 17, 2016 at 09:50 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mac owners - annoyed with iPhoto

People are often scared of what they don't understand. They are not a pain. Ever try using windows?
Again, simply do not reformat the card. There's no need to, even if many people do it (to 'be sure' or to conform, I don't know why).

Apr 20, 2016 at 03:31 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mac owners - annoyed with iPhoto

Imagemaster wrote:
It is a typical ploy by Apple trying to force users to use only their applications. They are a pain in the ass.

Just like their pain-in-the-ass iTunes and iCloud.

Not at all.

OS X users are completely able to use ANY photo editing/management application they wish. Did Apple allow an annoying bug to survive thus far with no easy way to turn it off. Yep, no doubt about it. But Apple is certainly not 'forcing' anyone to use the Photos app. If that was their goal ... they wouldn't allow you to install a competing app.

I'm running OS X 11.4 on four computers ... have never even set up the Photos app on any of them. If Apple can't force me to use it ... they can't really force anyone to use it.

If you want to experience being 'forced' to comply ... try creating a book in Lightroom that can be easily printed anywhere other than Blurb. That's a true walled in garden.

This issue with the Photos app opening, when a newly formatted card is inserted, must not be universal because after I set my Image Capture preferences to 'no application' ... once for each of my cameras ... Photos no longer opens when I insert a card. And I format my cards in-camera after every shoot is imported and completed. Several dozen times a week in some cases.

I also import and process images from various camera cards from my staff and clients that run quite a list of Canon, Nikon and Sony point-and-shoot and DSLR models. Could this be an issue with the brand/model of camera used?

For the record, I find iCloud to function as good as, if not better than dropbox. Nothing scary at all.

Though I don't have any issues with it ... Does iTunes need a complete re-think and re-build from the ground up? Absolutely. It is starting to show it's age.

Apr 20, 2016 at 04:01 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mac owners - annoyed with iPhoto

Just curious. Where did you do this?

I set my Image Capture preferences to 'no application'

I used Canon's Camera Window for years but recently Browser started to open as well. I could not figure out how to stop that so i switched to Mac's Image Capture. I don't see an preferences in that Image Capture. Are you talking about Photos itself?

I also used that terminal l command for my laptop and inserted a card for the first time yesterday and Photos didn't open. I'm just goofing around shooting birds at the lake. I first view and delete right off the card using DPP and then drag any I want to work on into PS. It was nice not to have to close apps down.

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:20 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.