Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

My daughters best friends Nephew is being Christened next Sunday.
Initially, my daughter asked if she could borrow a camera to take some pics. I was pleased. She wants a camera rather than frig around with a phone.
Obviously I was fine with that.

Next thing I find out, my wife and I have been invited as well. No freaking idea why, I know my daughters friends mother, father and sister but never met the brother or his partner. They were tear aways from the rest of their family and from what I have heard, they may have had an incursion or two with the law on occasion if you know what I mean.

When I decline the invite to attend, I'm told I have to come because I'm taking the photos. I said pigs arse, she is taking the photos, I'm not going to cut another photographers grass and you are it.
No Daddy, I have to work that day now and can't go, you are taking them. Double pigs arse!!
My wife says but I have already told them you will!
SAY What Well the friends mother seemed disappointed when she couldn't make it so I said not to worry, you would.
34 years we have been together and she does this to me. Thanks Luv.

Then it gets better..... It's in a not too local church but the 150 " Guests" are going back to another relatives home for the " Reception".
I said tell you what I'll do, I'll take the photo booth to the house and set it up and they can knock themselves out and I'll stay at home. Nope, you have to take pics at the church as well.

AGGGGGHHHH!

I wouldn't mind so much if it was for my daughters friend who I know pretty well. I wouldn't mind doing a small favour for the parents either, BUT, for someone I have never met and don't know.... I think that's stretching things a bit far. I HATE doing social type pics anyway. Bad enough doing things at a venue when there is a set time for pics and some organization but at a home function, with that many people...... Torture!

I said to my wife, I'll come to the church, shoot the kid being drowned, do all the family shots on the church steps and then I'm busy the rest of the day.
Nope, You have to do the whole thing or I'll give you more grief than it's worth and don't be a stick in the mud and what else are you going to do and it will get you out of the house........ Ugggh!

Not happy Jan!
I have 2 cars and a Harley plus access to their 2 cars. There is a bus stop at our front fence and a train station 5 min walk away. I can get out of the house any damn time I want!!
Not like I'm a prisoner here with no means of escape! I like sitting on my butt or pottering around Sundays . I can do that any other day, but somehow it feels better on Sunday. If was working, different story but I really don't want to do this. I know it's going to drag out to be a whole day ordeal.

It's not the people that really have the expectation, it's the fact my wife and daughter have buried me up to the armpits and are determined to make me suffer the whole long and drawn out debacle.
The church won't be so bad, it's a set routine you follow 1,2, 3 and it's over.
The party afterwards will be a total pain in the arse though. If you organise pictures there will be the people that have to have every irrelevant combination possible ensuring they are in about 50 different pics including the ones they started off with a 2nd time because they have now lost track of who the hell they have shot with and not. The people won't remember 17 beers later either and they won't have improved their appearance as the drin.... day goes on. It will draw on and on because people will wait till you walk away and then want to have a pic taken. %hen 5 min later someone will ask you for another one and so it goes.

I DON'T do these jobs for money because they never pay enough to warrant the frustration and boredom and my time is worth more than the aggro. Having to do it for nothing will just make it worse.
If I was " volunteered" to Shoot the girlfriends wedding, I'd actually be pretty happy to do that for her. She is a real nice girl, been a great support to my daughter of late, not a problem.
Back yard Christening..... Why me??

Time for a sit down chat with the wife and daughter I think.
DO NOT put me in for this garbage ever again or I will not be doing it and you can explain it anyway you want.

If any one has a good excuse to get out of this,. I'm really all ears.

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:43 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

Just. Say. No.

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:59 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

Yeah sorry but no. No amount of grief will guilt me into free work for a stranger.

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:38 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

Been there. You're between the proverbial rock and a hard place. So empathy is all I can offer. At least they'll have beer, although I don't drink

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:46 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

Um, just... no. Just, no.

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:17 AM
LivLif
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

You guys are all crazy! I mean I understand that this Sucks big time. But your wife and daughter volunteered you. Not good on their part but dude.... ITS YOUR WIFE AND DAUGHTER! Keep them happy and you will be happy.

Just shoot the stupid event. Take this as an opportunity to explore new compositions and practice your craft. Maybe create something dynamic. I dunno just look at this situation as the glass being half full vs empty.

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:57 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

^ Sounds like 3-5 hours of unpaid WORK. My wife or son volunteer me for 3-5 hours of WORK, and they're going to reap what they sow. lol

Apr 15, 2016 at 01:04 AM
Southnguyen

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Apr 15, 2016 at 02:15 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

Wife and daughter disappoinmet can be the hell, I NEVER shoot for free to some one who gets paid for their job but this time is beyond this idea.

Shoot it and then sort things out for the future.

Or just say no and reason them deeply why you say no, but your wife seems to have things very clear.

Good luck

Apr 15, 2016 at 03:46 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

BigIronCruiser wrote:
Been there. You're between the proverbial rock and a hard place. So empathy is all I can offer. At least they'll have beer, although I don't drink

I don't drink much either, especially beer. I always say, If I were on a desert island with endless beer, I'd die of thirst..... Or boil the stuff and turn it back into water.
I get the idea there may be a lot of Bourbon and coke going round too. Probably all BYO.

You guys are all crazy! I mean I understand that this Sucks big time. But your wife and daughter volunteered you. Not good on their part but dude.... ITS YOUR WIFE AND DAUGHTER! Keep them happy and you will be happy.

Yes, My wife and daughter.... The two people more than anyone else in the whole world to know better than to do this to me!!

Just shoot the stupid event. Take this as an opportunity to explore new compositions and practice your craft. Maybe create something dynamic. I dunno just look at this situation as the glass being half full vs empty.

I have absolute confidence that making creditable or innovative pics from this turn will be beyond my 30 years of experience as a full time pro shooter.
I'll leave it at that.

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give.

Yeah well, that's all I can do.
As selfish as it is, I prefer to choose the good turns I do. I think I am more than reasonable in that department and can think of a lot of things I have done off the top of my head but frankly, this is not one I would have volunteer for.
Maybe my whinging and whining will show me up and I'll be happy to have done it and overwhelmed with the appreciation of the people.
I hope that's what happens and my reservations proven very false.

My only chance out of this may be to get my Dad to say he needs me to come and help him up there to run things again for a while but then if I go down that road, I have every expectation that karma will bite me fairly and squarely on the arse and I'll wish I had done the damn job.

Maybe they have a relative that will be there who is the functions co coordinator for a large hotel and offer me a room to set up for a studio and do all their wedding work.

Yeah, yeah, I know, but unrealistic and far fetched fantasy is the only upside I can think of as an upside for this one.

Apr 15, 2016 at 04:44 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

LivLif wrote:
Take this as an opportunity to explore new compositions and practice your craft. Maybe create something dynamic. I dunno just look at this situation as the glass being half full vs empty.

Yeah. I mean, like, you don't seem to have much experience mate. You could probably use some practice...

Option 1: Just don't do it. Your wife and daughter will make you fully miserable for a year or so and slightly miserable indefinitely. But, they'll never do this to you again. At my age, I would consider this a pretty viable option.

Option 2: Do it but invoice your wife and daughter, full ticket - along with punitive damages for pain and suffering.

Option 3: Sell all your gear, post haste. Buy yourself a second Harley, shrug and go hang out with your dad for a few months.

Oh, and do post a few shots of the event after you shoot it.

Love ya man.

Apr 15, 2016 at 06:09 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

amonline wrote:
^ Sounds like 3-5 hours of unpaid WORK.

Yeah, and are these people you are photographing for going to do your garden for 3-5hrs for free? Drives me nuts how little regard people have for us and our work.

Apr 15, 2016 at 06:31 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

Well, I have been sitting here having a think on my own and I have come to a decision.

I'm an arsehole.
I'm sure that's not news to anyone though.

People have blown me away of late in what they have done for me and the support they have given me. So much has come from people I don't know, right here even, but that didn't stop people doing a lot for me.
Maybe it's time to start paying back again.

Good chance this will be a complete and utter waste of time and maybe it won't. It sure as hell won't kill my lazy worthless arse to do it though. Yeah, I'm probably going to be bored and frustrated out of my brain. So what?
I have had a lot bigger things to deal with lately so if I cant handle this, I'm not worth much.

I'll go with high hopes, low expectations, a smile on my miserable face and see if I can pull a rabbit out of my backside. If I can't, no shame, If I can it might give me some sorely needed motivation.

I'm not going to sit round for the next week dreading this. As I well know, lifes too short so I'll stop being a pedantic princess now, take a teaspoon of concrete and harden the fk up.
I'm still real ticked my Daughter who was mainly responsible for getting me into this has seen fit to blow it off but for once I won't make an issue out of it.

I guess it may earn her some brownie points as well. Not that she needs them, they all think the sun shines out her fundamental orifice.

Option 2: Do it but invoice your wife and daughter, full ticket - along with punitive damages for pain and suffering.

Funny you say that Chuck.
It's exactly what I said to my daughter earlier on when I was given the Update she wasn't doing it and I was. I said I'll be sending you the bill then I take it? Terrific!
That made her ears twitch and her voice raise!

Anyway, I'll go do this and try my best to be happy about it.

Apr 15, 2016 at 06:59 AM
RobWNY
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

Take every other image as a selfie, and deliver the full set with a selective coloring post treatment. That'll learn'em.

Apr 15, 2016 at 07:29 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

glort wrote:
Well, I have been sitting here having a think on my own and I have come to a decision.

I'm an arsehole.
I'm sure that's not news to anyone though.

People have blown me away of late in what they have done for me and the support they have given me. So much has come from people I don't know, right here even, but that didn't stop people doing a lot for me.
Maybe it's time to start paying back again.

Good chance this will be a complete and utter waste of time and maybe it won't. It sure as hell
...Show more

Well, mate. Good on you.

If it helps buffer any of this, I want to make clear and go on record:

You're my very favorite and most excellent arsehole in the whole wide world.

Everybody needs one and I don't know what I'd do without you.

*big manly guy hug with a soft pat on the tush*

Apr 15, 2016 at 08:32 AM
JimUe
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

if you do this, won't everyone expect you to work for free now?

Apr 15, 2016 at 08:41 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

Does your wife work?
Find a daughter's friends' family that needs some of that done for free and volunteer her for it! (This is a great idea if you want to sleep on the couch for the rest of eternity).

Apr 15, 2016 at 08:45 AM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

I think at this point the couch would start to look pretty good.

Everyone has to make their own decision, but there is no way I would do this. Not for someone I don't even know. My wife works at our County Court House and once volunteered me to do all the official portraits for the judges, the DA and his assistants, etc. I refused and did not do it; she got over it after a couple of days...

Apr 15, 2016 at 09:42 AM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

do it for the exposure.

Apr 15, 2016 at 09:44 AM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Suckered. Now I Know how some of you feel.

Just set up your photobooth and sit back and relax?

Apr 15, 2016 at 09:50 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.