New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · PCB PLM Question

rjk55425
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PCB PLM Question

I see that the umbrella mount versions are back ordered but that they are clearing out the speedring versions, which can also be mounted using the optional 7mm umbrella shafts. I plan to use a Buff light, Alien Bee. Any downsides I am missing if I go with the speedring PCBs? It does look like one must mount/unmount the speedring or shaft every time you use the PLM? I assume the umbrella mount PLM has the shaft permanently attached so setup/tear down is faster than the speedring version? The discontinued ones are not returnable so want to get this right.

buff claims the efficiency of the modifier is the same regardless of mount.

Thanks, Randy

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:33 AM
sharpblur

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PCB PLM Question

Hey Randy I have all three sizes in soft silver with three cages. Setup time is absolutely not an issue. Light in the centre of PLM is a beautiful thing. I was testing it with and without cages and it is way better with. Shame they are stopping production on these.

Apr 14, 2016 at 04:25 PM
rjk55425
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PCB PLM Question

Sharp blur, do you leave the cages on or put on and take off every shoot?

Apr 14, 2016 at 08:38 PM
sharpblur

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PCB PLM Question

I always take them off. Putting it on and removing the cage takes under 10 seconds.

Apr 14, 2016 at 08:43 PM
rjk55425
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PCB PLM Question

Super, you helped me pull the trigger, will get a couple of the 64" ones! Thanks guy.

Apr 14, 2016 at 08:50 PM
neoshazam
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PCB PLM Question

They are really nice. I have Soft Silver in 64 and 86 and extreme silver in 51 , all cages. I'm very tempted to get another one of each just in case, love the cage.

Apr 14, 2016 at 09:00 PM
rjk55425
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PCB PLM Question

Guys do either of you shoot large groups with one light + PLM? Wondering which is best for that. I currently use an ab1600 with 60 inch umbrella. I hate the spill so hope one of these will be better. Leaning toward 64s, one white, one soft silver with 1 white sock.

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:11 AM
sharpblur

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · PCB PLM Question

I've shot group with white diffuser only. I'm not sure if you can do it without it. That beam is quite focused so maybe if it's further away or white PLM?? I'm not sure. I have only soft silver.

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:52 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · PCB PLM Question

I'm buying up the cages, so you leave 'em alone! You hear?

Seriously, though, even though the Buff folk say it makes no difference, I think the combination of quick precise positioning plus the bit of rear splash control makes them worthwhile.

The white PLM doesn't focus much, which Paul Buff himself pointed out. Soft white simply doesn't focus, it spreads no matter what. But it spreads pretty wide and well, if you have enough power.

The big silvers do put out something close to a beam--the parabolic is well designed and works as intended--as long as the light is in the right spot without a reflector (it needs the light emitted to the sides). The great thing about the Big Silvers is that they cast a big beam.

Apr 16, 2016 at 09:06 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.