New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Used D4s' over priced?

chip_master
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Used D4s' over priced?

pjheller wrote:
Waiting to find the granny who bought a D5.

Believe it or not D4s sold by grandpa/grandma do exist and more probably on smaller sites like CL, Jorge scored one a bit faster then I did a while back in my neck of the woods.

Harder to find any on eBay as that market is very big, but deals can be had on ebay. Savy old folks will look at eBay average selling price for the going rate. If you judge by what is being offered here and offer, dang it would just be one more of them "sitting" here with no action, but well priced, well we know what happens there.

Apr 15, 2016 at 09:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Used D4s' over priced?

goosemang wrote:
The gap between the D4 and D4s seems higher than I'd expect. Are the improvements really worth another $1200 or more?

Only to the those who know how to use the "subtle" improvements.

The D4 has very good AF
The D4s improved on that

The D4 has very good relative low light exposure capability and DR
The D4s improved on that

The D4 uses XQD
The D4s can take advantage of XQD 2

The list can go on

Apr 16, 2016 at 05:25 AM
mirandamember
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Used D4s' over priced?

sjms wrote:
for me, in the last 2 years, my usage for this tool (D4s) was reduced to minimal. I actually used my D7200 more. the individual that got mine got essentially received a brand new body with goodies. going to try out the D500 for awhile before I put down for the D5s if/when it comes.

believe me the D4s was hard to part with.

I am the lucky fellow with sjms' near-brand new body with goodies. For me, the group area AF makes it a completely different tool than the D3s I was using. Silly as it may sound to some, with two kids playing sports, (College D1 and little league), the right body and lenses are some of the most treasured tools I own.

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:15 AM
morrismike
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Used D4s' over priced?

Not unlike buying a house, the key is looking at what similar houses actually sell for versus what they are listed for.

Apr 17, 2016 at 07:15 AM
chip_master
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Used D4s' over priced?

morrismike wrote:
Not unlike buying a house, the key is looking at what similar houses actually sell for versus what they are listed for.

Unlike a house where one can check the public records and web sites like zillow and others compile them, B/S here only list the asking price and at least my experience is that offline negotiation can lead to significant lower than what you see listed

I do find tracking eBay a good gauge of what the larger market sees as the worth.

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:37 AM
morrismike
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Used D4s' over priced?

chip_master wrote:
Unlike a house where one can check the public records and web sites like zillow and others compile them, B/S here only list the asking price and at least my experience is that offline negotiation can lead to significant lower than what you see listed

I do find tracking eBay a good gauge of what the larger market sees as the worth.

You should always buy your camera gear from reputable sellers on ebay. At the very least, use the selling prices on ebay as an upper limit on what to pay at a shop.

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:02 PM
chip_master
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Used D4s' over priced?

morrismike wrote:
You should always buy your camera gear from reputable sellers on ebay. At the very least, use the selling prices on ebay as an upper limit on what to pay at a shop.

YMMV of course, got scammed once on a TGTBT D4, but with detailed conversation with seller you can figure out something and judge if it is worth it. Deals are rare but I find there is ebb flow like here. I have had good luck feeding my NAS there; D4x2, D810, 200f2 and a D5 coming this week. No question probably a lot more vigelence required versus the B/S which has some aggressive self police here.

Apr 17, 2016 at 01:14 PM
brianric
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Used D4s' over priced?

ckcarr wrote:
That low shutter count one's not even available.

Couldn't imagine spending $6,500 on a body and only putting 2,821 shots on it. Especially since the claim to fame was fast shutter @ 11 fps. Heck, the battery life was 3,020 shots. You would only charge it once. Probably owned by a little old grandma who only took it out on Sunday to church...

My first shoot last week I put on 4,000 clicks on my D5. Only had the camera two weeks.

Apr 17, 2016 at 07:47 PM
SIMusings
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Used D4s' over priced?

chip_master wrote:
Let's watch economics play out, supply and demand.

Supply is starting to appear as pros release their D4s as they acquire their D5, likely going to be high count shutters first as the NPS guys getting first dibs. Then we got the second group of hobbiest who have to have the best regardless of price ( I see one guy with a D4s all the time at football games but never shooting, suspect he probably has a few thousand shots at most on his, will he or won't he get a D5 )

I'm sure some hobbiest may hold back a bit
...Show more

NAS / GAS? What am I missing here?

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:16 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Used D4s' over priced?

SIMusings wrote:
NAS / GAS? What am I missing here?

Nikon Acquisition Syndrome / Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Colloquially known as the Gotta Have Its.

Apr 18, 2016 at 07:42 AM
SIMusings
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Used D4s' over priced?

henry albert wrote:
Nikon Acquisition Syndrome / Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Colloquially known as the Gotta Have Its.

Got it... the meaning and the problem.

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:36 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Used D4s' over priced?

goosemang wrote:
The gap between the D4 and D4s seems higher than I'd expect. Are the improvements really worth another $1200 or more?

Yeah seriously. You could shoot the D4 for the next five years and win a pullitzer. I mean that is a hell of a camera for less than $2500. I wouldn't buy anything else. In fact, buy two and dual shoot.

Apr 19, 2016 at 02:24 AM
lsutigerfan
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Used D4s' over priced?

shameless plug. I have flawless D4 with 8k clicks on board for now-reduced and lowest absolute price of $2,850. does that sound outrageous?

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:07 AM
chip_master
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Used D4s' over priced?

lsutigerfan wrote:
shameless plug. I have flawless D4 with 8k clicks on board for now-reduced and lowest absolute price of $2,850. does that sound outrageous?

Getting close to market value, is it sold yet

Apr 20, 2016 at 09:43 AM
lsutigerfan
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Used D4s' over priced?

Yes it sold on ebay actually. And poor buyer (from all indications - a soccer mom) paid hundreds more than I even wanted -- covered selling fees of course. What a god**** shame

Apr 23, 2016 at 06:51 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.