Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Lee polarizer: 105mm or 4x4?

kaitlyn2004
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lee polarizer: 105mm or 4x4?

Looking to add a CPL into my LEE kit and really struggling with which direction to go.

I find I do HDR a little more than usage of graduated NDs, but that of course doesn't work with any moving situation

What were your thought processes like when you added polarizer, and which one did you opt to go with and why?

Apr 13, 2016 at 06:31 PM
dlabrecque
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lee polarizer: 105mm or 4x4?

I use the 105mm adapter. A 4x4 polarizer has to be turned to be useful. That's fine if all you'll use is the polarizer, but if you're using additional filters, you'd have to hold them in front of the polarizer. Maybe that's not a huge deal, but it can be kind of a pain, particularly if the exposure is a long one. Plus there's the fingerprints...

Lee actually makes a 4x4 rotatable adapter that fits onto your current adapter, but I've yet to see anyone use one of those. The 105 ring is designed to be left mounted onto your adapter, so there's also nothing additional to install when you need to use a polarizer.

Apr 15, 2016 at 08:44 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lee polarizer: 105mm or 4x4?

Not that dlabrecque is wrong in any way, but I would actually recommend the 4x4 for most people.

1) I feel it is less likely to vignette than the 105mm, even the new slim version of the 105mm. This is because it sits closer to the lens while being in a filter slot instead of just past the last filter spot. Some people will say this is a non-issue with a CPL because you shouldn't be using it on the wide end due to issues with the sky color. However, I use it quite frequently with wide angle lenses to cut reflections off water and foliage in wooded stream areas where the sky is not even visible due to the trees and rocks.

2) Although you can not fine tune the polarizer (make small rotations) while using ND grads, what people forget is the filter is square not just a rectangle...you can always rotate the filter ITSELF 90 degrees. This allows you to at least choose between High and Low strength options while using ND grads. And this last part is obviously personal, but, like you, I rarely find myself using ND grads these days anyway. Pretty much bracketing if I need it. Between focus stacking, panoramas and bracketing, I'm doing multi exposure just as much (or more frequently) as single exposure.

3) I find a 4x4 filter easier to deal with. I think it is easier to slide a filter into a slot than it is to screw a filter onto the front of the lens. This can be important if you are stacking strong ND filters while using manual focus. In that scenario, if you accidentally change the focus, it is hard to see well enough to change it back.

4) Also, the 4x4 is significantly cheaper than the 105mm+adapter. Filters always seem to be more prone to scratches than my lenses. I'd rather buy a filter for $220 than $270 (filter) + $65 (adapter) when there is potential that I might accidentally scratch it and need to replace it in a couple years. The used prices are even more spread. I think I got my 4x4 filter for $140 off ebay. Not to mention that there are even cheaper options (I am considering the Haida 4x4 CPL but that is another topic).

Those are of course all my opinions and they probably vary from person to person and shooting style etc.

EDIT: Also, I don't hold filters in front of my polarizer like mentioned above for long exposures. I simply put the 4x4 CPL in the 2nd slot. Turn the filter to get the desired strength. Focus to desired spot. Finally, slide the ND filter into the 1st spot and you're ready to go.

Apr 15, 2016 at 09:10 AM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lee polarizer: 105mm or 4x4?

For the very few times I still use graduated ND's, I have a Lee holder built up with just one slot, and then have the 105mm thread adapter on the front of it. I then can combine the adjustment of the grad ND with an adjustment of a 105mm glass coated polarizer, and do that without any hand holding. The combination does limit your field of view somewhat on wide lenses, but setting up the holder with just the one slot helps with that.

But for any shooting that does not require a grad ND, the best approach by far is high quality multicoated screw in glass filters. If you really need both solid ND and a polarizer, you can install them both. You get the best quality of filters, and never ever have any kind of issue related to light leakage causing flare or loss of contrast. You also spend less on the polarizer, because it is smaller than 105mm, plus of course you need the direct screw in polarizer anyway for when there is no solid ND required. The screw in polarizer is also standard as a multi coated item, while the 105mm size is harder to get as multi coated. And, as another bonus, with screw in filters that fit your lens, you can install your standard lens hood if you need it.

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:59 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lee polarizer: 105mm or 4x4?

Roland W wrote:
For the very few times I still use graduated ND's, I have a Lee holder built up with just one slot, and then have the 105mm thread adapter on the front of it. I then can combine the adjustment of the grad ND with an adjustment of a 105mm glass coated polarizer, and do that without any hand holding. The combination does limit your field of view somewhat on wide lenses, but setting up the holder with just the one slot helps with that.

But for any shooting that does not require a grad ND, the best approach by far
...Show more

The lens hood is a good reason to stick with screw on filters that I hadn't thought about. However, if someone is considering/using the Lee system it is likely because they have lenses with different filter sizes. I used to hike/shoot landscape with as many as 4 different lens filter sizes. I'd rather have a Lee holder + adapter instead of step downs. But they are a viable option.

I have never seen any comparison's between 4x4 filters and screw on filters. Are the 4x4 ND filters really of lesser quality than the screw in filters? I found my 4x4 circular polarizer to be of superior quality (in terms of cutting reflections) to my mid-ish grade screw on CPL that I had. I'll admit that I never had a high end screw on filter to compare it with, but I imaged it would have kept up nicely...maybe not.

Apr 15, 2016 at 02:03 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.