FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Farewell, night

M_J_Helin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Farewell, night

Summer is coming and soon the nights wont get dark anymore here in Finland. But we are not there yet...

Last night we had a surprisingly nice aurora display. Especially the rays were beautiful! I have rarely witnessed so much purple and blue colors in auroras. I had so much fun! Can't wait to get my hands on rest the pictures. Maybe tonight? Or maybe I'll go to bed early..

Oh, and by the way, I LOVE my Sigma 20mm Art

Edited on Apr 15, 2016 at 03:27 AM · View previous versions

Apr 13, 2016 at 03:18 AM
jhg photo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Farewell, night

Marvelous picture with stars, aurora and river! Also a nicely structured aurora. Would you mind to share your settings?

Apr 13, 2016 at 06:37 AM
M_J_Helin
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Farewell, night

Thanks! Rarely does everything work out so nicely; No clouds, fog, aeroplanes or satellites. Half Moon illuminated the scenery and of course the auroras were prettier than I even dared to dream of.

Gears were D600 and Sigma 20mm art. I think the settings were iso 1600, six seconds and f:2. A panorama made of eight frames.

Apr 13, 2016 at 08:24 AM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Farewell, night

Very nice! I especially like your first image - very nice composition.
Keith W.

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:58 AM
jhg photo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Farewell, night

Thank you very much. While I expected the reasonably short exposure time I am surprised that this is even an eight frame pano. Very impressive work, indeed.

Apr 14, 2016 at 02:19 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Farewell, night

Great images.

Question for you, about the Sigma 20ART...how do you control distortion of the stars in the corners? I love that lens, but it often ends up distorting the stars in the corners, exaggerating any movement in them. Your images don't seem to suffer from that, might be partially the shorter exposures.

Apr 14, 2016 at 08:28 AM
M_J_Helin
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Farewell, night

Thanks!

Travis Rhoads wrote:
Great images.

Question for you, about the Sigma 20ART...how do you control distortion of the stars in the corners? I love that lens, but it often ends up distorting the stars in the corners, exaggerating any movement in them. Your images don't seem to suffer from that, might be partially the shorter exposures.

Thank you!

Well, the short shutter speed helps for sure. Are you are aware of the rule of five hundred? By dividing 500 with the focal length of the lense you get the approximate maximum time you can use without star trails (using full frame). In this case it's 500/20= 25 seconds. But it depends on how close the (celestial) equator the stars are. So if they are very close, the time is a bit shorter (Orion for example). Then again the Big Dipper and other constellations near the north (or south) pole can take a bit longer exposure without trails emerging.

Apr 14, 2016 at 09:14 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Farewell, night

Travis Rhoads wrote:
Great images.

If you are stitching why include the corners? When I stitch something and have weak corners I crop the corners out before I stitch.

M_J_Helin - great pics. Love your composition with clean foreground and the trees/stars have a pleasing crispness to them. I think you've found a great star lens with the 20mm ART.

Dave

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:07 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Farewell, night

M_J_Helin wrote:
Thanks!

Thank you!

Well, the short shutter speed helps for sure. Are you are aware of the rule of five hundred? By dividing 500 with the focal length of the lense you get the approximate maximum time you can use without star trails (using full frame). In this case it's 500/20= 25 seconds. But it depends on how close the (celestial) equator the stars are. So if they are very close, the time is a bit shorter (Orion for example). Then again the Big Dipper and other constellations near the north (or south) pole can take a bit longer
...Show more
Yes, I am aware of that rule of 500. I try to keep exposures to 15-20 seconds with the 20ART...I have not posted the set of images yet, not done editing...but one in particular shows a lot of distortion on one side, its not super distracting, but noticeable.

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:08 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Farewell, night

dbehrens wrote:
If you are stitching why include the corners? When I stitch something and have weak corners I crop the corners out before I stitch.

M_J_Helin - great pics. Love your composition with clean foreground and the trees/stars have a pleasing crispness to them. I think you've found a great star lens with the 20mm ART.

Dave

If it were a stitched image that I have issues with that would be the easy fix...my stitched images area actually much better, its the single frames that are problematic.

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:08 AM
M_J_Helin
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Farewell, night

Travis Rhoads wrote:
Yes, I am aware of that rule of 500. I try to keep exposures to 15-20 seconds with the 20ART...I have not posted the set of images yet, not done editing...but one in particular shows a lot of distortion on one side, its not super distracting, but noticeable.

A sample image would be nice
I really don't have any ideas, but I suppose whatever the reason is, it's not the particular lense.

Oh my, it looks like I won't be sleeping much tonight :/
http://www.spaceweather.com

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:33 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Farewell, night

M_J_Helin wrote:
A sample image would be nice
I really don't have any ideas, but I suppose whatever the reason is, it's not the particular lense.

Oh my, it looks like I won't be sleeping much tonight :/
http://www.spaceweather.com

I will let you know when I post them up...I don't want to clutter your thread anymore than I already have...my apologies...

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:40 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Farewell, night

I like the first one quite a bit, I think the horizontal works well. Just clone out that that bright reflection on the chimney.

Jim

Apr 14, 2016 at 01:20 PM
M_J_Helin
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Farewell, night

Thanks!

JimFox wrote:
I like the first one quite a bit, I think the horizontal works well. Just clone out that that bright reflection on the chimney.

Jim

Thanks! The reason I didn't clone the reflection is because I tend to use the rules set by Finnish nature photography contest. No removing any details in the image, local, moderate adjustments are allowed etc. I don't follow the rules every time, of course. And that brings me to the next image; The first had a satellite in it which I erased thus resulting to a image that isn't allowed to be used in the contest. Luckily I took another set of images without the satellite. I also dimmed the chimney a bit

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:57 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.