Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thoughts on Panasonic FZ1000

As a travel/wildlife/hiking camera?

Apr 12, 2016 at 06:50 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thoughts on Panasonic FZ1000

It is a very good camera as long as you feed it some light. I had it and a FF DSLR when I went to Badlands, Rushmore, Yellowstone, Tetons ... 80%+ of my shots were using the FZ1000.

Check my top 15 ... about half are from the FZ1000.

Chews up batteries a bit, so get extra ... but other than that, it can do ... a lot.

Apr 12, 2016 at 09:18 PM
jimmy462
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thoughts on Panasonic FZ1000

Hi ShutterPonch,

There are only a handful of folks here on FM that I've seen who both own and have posted about this camera (and with this post you'll have heard from two of us! Ha!), so I wouldn't expect too much feedback on your question.

First off, I'll second Rusty's assertion that the camera can do "a lot"!

Second, I'd suggest to anyone interested in a new camera to go and peruse some sample images from real shooters using the gear and see if it suits their needs. Here's a few links to some active groups over at flickr...

Panasonic FZ1000 Photography | Flickr - Photo Sharing!:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/fz1000/pool/page1

Panasonic DMC-FZ1000 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/2717527@N22/pool/

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Fan Club | Flickr - Photo Sharing!:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/lumix-fz1000/pool/

Macro, Landscape, Portrait, Action, and 4K UHD Video all in one light-weight, easy to setup-and-shoot body...yeah, it can do "a lot".

My FZ1000 accompanies me on all of my DSLR/Big-Glass outdoor nature and wildlife adventures, it is my "quick first shot before it flies or runs away because I have to fiddle with a tripod for my 7D and telezoom setup" camera. It is my current video camera for everything outdoors (4K UHD, yay!).

IQ and ISO performance are on a par with my 7D (read: great for anything under ISO 1600) and I'll again concur with Rusty that you'll be happiest feeding it light.

One added, and unexpected, bonus I've found with using the EVF on this camera is that one can use it to see into dark spaces in real time by adjusting the Exposure Compensation. This has proved invaluable in a variety of outdoor settings for me. Case in point, just yesterday we were hunting down an Eastern Screech Owl known to haunt the hollowed-knots of a specific tree. It was around 6 p.m. and the sun was positioned low and was creating an absolutely horrible backlit situation with said tree. It was impossible to see into the tree holes with the OVF and telephoto on the DSLR to see if the owl was lurking deep inside without purposely shooting and chimping with that setup, but I ran my trusty FZ1000 up 3-stops in EC and could clearly see deep into the cavities of the tree. Unfortunately for us, no owl yesterday, but this "night vision trick" is now in my bag-of-tricks and has proven helpful especially during twilights when all sorts of critters start making their appearance.

FWIW, the 1-inch sensor is as small as I'd prefer to go (though I have been known to grab a few snaps with my iPhone ), and I'm quite satisfied with its IQ. Also, the lens is sharp throughout its range, so no worries there. And, lastly, be sure to give the Sony RX10 II or III a good tire-kick before proceeding.

Anyhoo, them's my data points, let us know what you decide!

Best,

Apr 13, 2016 at 08:52 AM
darrenleow

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thoughts on Panasonic FZ1000

Anyone else enjoying their FZ1000 as much as me? It has become my default travel camera because the 25-400mm lens is just so versatile in almost all lighting conditions, and the 1" sensor gives great image quality for most of my purposes. AF is fast with the DFD technology, and other features like in-camera panorama, flip-out screen, wi-fi transfer & remote control are useful too. I wish it had weather-sealing like the RX10 series as it would make the camera more of a rugged go-anywhere companion.

I've also started to dabble in some basic video work, and the FZ1000 is great for video too, with in-camera stabilisation, mic input (using Rode VideoMic Go) and 4K video recording.

Some photos from the FZ1000 in the last half a year I've owned it. Is it the cure to GAS?

Below 3 photos are from the same vantage point

Sep 07, 2016 at 05:23 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.