FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · AF Fine Tune Differences Between Bodies

Dj R
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · AF Fine Tune Differences Between Bodies

snapsy wrote:
Silly question but are you certain AF tune is enabled? One quirk of Nikon's UI is that it'll let you change the AF tune values for lenses even if AF tune is disabled on the body. I made this mistake once while tuning a body for a friend. Took me 30 minutes before I realized my mistake.

For sure, thx for checking though.

Sep 15, 2016 at 04:18 PM
some_film

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · AF Fine Tune Differences Between Bodies

workerdrone wrote:
I find it strange that none of your lenses required any adjustment on the previous body - I've heard of that but I've never experienced it myself.

While one or two of my lenses might require nothing on one body, all of the others will benefit from some tuning. This is on every body I've ever owned. And I've been through a few!

On my D3s and D300s, all my lenses have been a zero adjustment or were so close to zero with just a possible +/- 1 or 2 that I left them at zero and turned off AF fine tune. Every lens, 200-400/4 to my 20mm. On my D7000, everything is a significant back focus adjustment, -15 for example on my 50/1.8. D600, D610, D750, lenses have all taken mild/modest adjustments. They're consistent though. If the body back focuses on one lens, it back focuses on all.

Sep 15, 2016 at 09:18 PM
la puffin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · AF Fine Tune Differences Between Bodies

Dj R wrote:
Crazy
I didn't realize there could be a body that is so good, that you use a host of glass, and not require major fine tuning.
I will be sending my to FF bodies and my three primes to NPS while I'm on vacation.
Would they replace something for me, if they thought it was "bad" ?
maybe I don't need to send the 105mm f1.4E though.

Look at this attached image...
the 24 and 58 needing major help.

I'm getting a D4s today, on loan from NPS. I bet they calibrate and check it often.
Maybe I will check my primes on it, to get a
...Show more

All of your lenses are within 2-3 ticks of each other. That's a good thing. I think your bodies happens to be centered one way and the other lenses (not the 105) are centered the other way. Since the 105 is close to 0, I'd send in the other two lenses. If you send in the bodies, then the 105 will likely be at the end of AF tuning range.

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:13 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.