Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Linear polarizer 4x4 on DSLR or mirrorless cams?

aCIDfire
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Linear polarizer 4x4 on DSLR or mirrorless cams?

Looking to buy Tamron 15-30 or Nikkor 14-24 and make a filter holder for 100mm filters.. Is there a possibility to use 4x4 polarizer filters instead of CPL?? I read somewhere that due to other mechanism of polarizing (linear) these filters are not suitable for DSLR due to different metering of light when using CPL or linear PL.I have Sony A7r II. Do you use these polarizing filters to Lee/Cokin filter holders? Is there some problem with it? Thank you.Mark.

Apr 12, 2016 at 04:39 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Linear polarizer 4x4 on DSLR or mirrorless cams?

You can use a 4x4 circular polarizer. I use the Lee one right now and like it a lot. No need to get a linear polarizer and lose autofocus.

Edit: Also not sure if the Nikon will work with a 100mm. Might be large enough to take 150mm. Not sure. I was more of less saying stay away from linear and get a 4x4 or 6x6 circular polarizer.

Apr 12, 2016 at 06:02 AM
aCIDfire
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Linear polarizer 4x4 on DSLR or mirrorless cams?

Thank you for reply. I thought that 4x4 are not circular /=screw in/ filters.

Apr 13, 2016 at 01:14 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Linear polarizer 4x4 on DSLR or mirrorless cams?

aCIDfire wrote:
Looking to buy Tamron 15-30 or Nikkor 14-24 and make a filter holder for 100mm filters.. Is there a possibility to use 4x4 polarizer filters instead of CPL?? I read somewhere that due to other mechanism of polarizing (linear) these filters are not suitable for DSLR due to different metering of light when using CPL or linear PL.I have Sony A7r II. Do you use these polarizing filters to Lee/Cokin filter holders? Is there some problem with it? Thank you.Mark.

mark - the Nikon 14-24mm requires 150 x 150 cm filter. also, on the wide end, the front element will gather stray lights coming from behind the filter. if i remember correctly, the 150 x 150 filter holder comes with 4 collapsible opaque black plastic pieces which covers the four corner quadrants of the square filter to block stray lights.

shoot me a pm if you need a photo of the lee holder showing the plastic pieces.

Apr 13, 2016 at 03:04 AM
aCIDfire
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Linear polarizer 4x4 on DSLR or mirrorless cams?

Thanks for information,.. as I have many 100mm LEE filters, I find some way to make adapter DIY..
here is the link for 14-24 that I found some pictures. Not sure yet 100% but I think IŽll go for Tamron
15-30 as there are less reflections shooting against the sun.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1423164/0#13499505

Apr 13, 2016 at 07:48 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Linear polarizer 4x4 on DSLR or mirrorless cams?

aCIDfire wrote:
Thank you for reply. I thought that 4x4 are not circular /=screw in/ filters.

The word "circular" in circular polarizer has nothing to do with the shape of the filter. There are both circular and linear 4x4 polarizers. The circular polarizer filter (regardless of shape) has another layer of glass in front of it which allows DSLR's autofocus.

Apr 14, 2016 at 08:49 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Linear polarizer 4x4 on DSLR or mirrorless cams?

mark - i saw the photos of the customized filter holder; quite clever.

did the user reported any vignetting at the wide focal length? that would be concerned with using the 100mm holder.

btw, the lee 105mm cpl is not cheap either.

Apr 24, 2016 at 08:39 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.