New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

DianeinCR
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

Congratulations to DianeinCR for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 4 votes - View Previous Winners

About a year ago I did a pregnancy shoot with Jeannie and shared a few photos here. This is a follow up shoot one year later.

Both Jeannie and I really enjoy the work of Ivette Iven, and we wanted to recreate our favorite of her works. I thought this would be a good challenge for me. Like Ivette Iven, Jeannie is a mom who is working hard to overcome the stigma of a women breastfeeding her child when he or she is hungry.

This shot was done with two speed lights...one in the room, and Greg held one outside on a very tall pole so that the flash could reach the second story window.

Jeannie was thrilled with the results. Looking back I have identified a few things that I wish I had done differently. Any feedback is welcomed.

Diane

gdgood Photography 2016

Mother and Child

Canon EOS-1D X    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    70mm    f/2.8    1/160s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 12, 2016 at 02:38 AM
Big Appa
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

Charming. Very nice composition, great idea, the window.
The warmth of mom, the little fellow with his hand on is foot.
I love it.

Nit. I like the highlight on mom's hair, but maybe a little less.

Now all I have to do is vote as Featured Thread.

Thank you for this one.

Ed

Apr 12, 2016 at 03:48 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

The glare from the window is distracting, but a very good image that she will cherish from now on.

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:16 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

Love it. It's sad what families have to go through to simply feed their children.

I've said numerous times that if someone ever said anything to ANY woman breastfeeding her child while I was around, it would likely be among the worst days in that persons life. And if they did it to my wife as she was feeding one of our children... Ohhhhh boy...

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:48 PM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

I love the concept. I am pretty sure there was no need for a flash outside the window. If you wanted that kind of glare, it is easy to do in photoshop with much more control. And, it looks like the indoor flash was not bright enough. Almost everything in the photo appears that it was either underexposed or overexposed right out of the camera.

Apr 12, 2016 at 04:04 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

Big Appa - So glad you enjoyed this image, and thank you for the suggestion to back off a bit on the highlighting in the mom's hair.

DaveOls - I do agree that the window glare on my subject(s) is a bit distracting and makes it difficult to see that mom does indeed have two legs. That's something I'd definitely change.

Jonathan Brady - I agree that a mom should not have to hide in the shadows to feed her child. I'm glad you love the image. Jeannie is thrilled with it.

Elliokramer - I think the window glare is a bit too much as well. The highlight in mom's hair is what mom was looking for. It's very much to her taste. Jeannie is a confident and outspoken young woman who asks for what she wants.

I was trying to mimic Ivette Ivens image and learn a few things along the way. This is what I was going for...

Photo by Ivette Ivens

Apr 12, 2016 at 06:28 PM
Big Appa
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

Ivens photo is technically better than yours. But yours has what hers does not,
that nice, warm connection of the baby and the mother.

I went back and looked at some of your other photos, and the ones of Auggie at
six months are wonderful.

Ed

Apr 12, 2016 at 07:38 PM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

Despite my minor criticism above, I really love that you made this photo. It's great, regardless!

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:50 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

Nice capture. I think though that I'd prefer to see her leaning against something so that there could be more hand connection with her child, like a half hug or something.

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:56 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

Big Appa, - Ivens photo is technically better than yours.

That's certainly true. I'd love for people to point out the specifics so I can focus on improving them next time.

elliokramer - Despite my minor criticism above

I'm here to learn so minor, or major criticism when necessary, are all welcomed by me.

steve32 - I'd prefer to see

You raise up a point that the mom and child doesn't necessarily appear that connected. I think our desire to see that physical warmth shared between people who have a lot of bare skin is starting to get to the point of this shot. Breast feeding is simply that...it is feeding your child. If Auggie were sitting in his high chair and Jeannie was feeding him with a spoon I don't think any of us would feel like she had to have him in an embrace; yet it makes us a bit uncomfortable that Jeannie isn't somehow cuddling Auggie in this shot.

Thank you to ALL of you who have taking your time to share your reactions to my post.

Apr 13, 2016 at 02:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

FotoHouse
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

Brilliant shot! I think it is a strong attempt even if it didn't quite match the skill lvl and you did an awesome job.

Ivette's image has a more worm's eye-view so that the background tapers inward forming a better leading line to her and the child. The child also has the right expression translating comfort and happiness from sucking on the goods (which are also carefully positioned). The bloom is also more subtle than yours w/ a bit of color grade on the bokeh that is warm into cool (warm colors protrude while cool colors recede)--again, leads your eyes back to the subject matter. She also applies fake rays and particles to assist in reacting with the scene being more alive.

There is more, but I'm sure you can already grasp the major differences from what I've just observed.

Welcoming critique is the best attitude to have. Be serious...without the serious attitude.

Apr 13, 2016 at 06:50 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

FotoHouse - Thank you for your comments and critique. I learned a lot from it. I will reprocess my shot and see what I can get from it now that I have a few other things to think about.

Yes, I am serious about learning, and always grateful to all who are willing to take their precious time to share their knowledge with me.

I see that you are new to this forum and I welcome you!

Apr 14, 2016 at 01:41 PM
Nexu
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

I like Diane's photo better.
Very well done.

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:29 AM
Lightsearcher
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

Just beautiful..!!!

I love the color and haze from the window, it is strong but I think is perfect.

Just voted for it...

Marcelo

Apr 15, 2016 at 01:48 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

This is a strong photo. It's not my cup of tea but yet I keep coming back to it. I find it engaging.

Apr 15, 2016 at 01:54 AM
poshyp
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

Interesting.

Apr 15, 2016 at 02:11 AM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

Love the message and a lovely photo. Prefer the overall exposure of the original, but a personal call. Minor critique is the transition on her thighs and lower legs looks strange, maybe semi recovered.

Apr 15, 2016 at 04:38 AM
Big Appa
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

I did say I thought Ivens photo was technically better than yours..but having said that,
I want to impress that I think your photo is better.
The warmth between Mom and Auggie makes it so.

Ed

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:46 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

Nexu - So glad you enjoy my image better. If I may ask, what about it do you prefer?

Lightsearcher - I too enjoy the light and how is embarrasses the subjects. I think it makes them both seem ethereal in some way. And, thank you for the vote!

Vcook - I take your comment as very high praise. When we view something (as you put it, it isn't our "cup of tea") and are compelled to return to it, that means it has effected us. What more could I ask for?

poshyp - Thank you!

qwyjibo - I too find a few elements of the original image more appealing, but in the end I prefer my subjects expressions. As one person commented to me, "I love how the back lighting and the tree hint at it being a special, magical (maybe even ethereal) moment, but Jeannie's and Augie's facial expression's and posture make it clear that this is a just another day."

Yes there was an issue with the legs reflecting in the window and I am trying to rework my image to recover them better.

Big Appa - I hear you. I struggle with the technical aspects of my work constantly and I am always glad to have people point to what bugs them. It helps me to see them, sometimes for the first time.

Edited on Apr 16, 2016 at 01:51 PM · View previous versions

Apr 15, 2016 at 02:52 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Jeannie and Auggie - One Year later

I was too worked up earlier, about what women have to endure to feed their children, and I didn't leave any specific C&C, sorry about that.

Someone said that they felt the outdoor lighting was unnecessary and MY GUESS is that I disagree. One reason is that adding flare/ghosting/etc. via photoshop is, IMO, going to lead to too much perfection. I like the randomness that natural flare causes. And reason is that if you notice the trees outdoors, in the window pane on the left the branches are more noticeable whereas on the right, thanks to the flare, they're less noticeable. IMO, the flare helped to isolate the subjects against the background. Sure, the isolation could have been done in post by increasing the highlights/exposure, but again, I think having it occur more naturally likely resulted in better results. Could be wrong though.

Regarding the "two legs look like one"... Personally, I don't think it needs much, if any, editing. For one, are we saying that if she was a one legged person, we'd have an issue with the image? And two, it didn't seem to me to appear as one leg. On the underside of her left leg, I can see her right leg pretty easily. I also see two feet worth of toes and the ball of her right foot. Might the image look better with Jeannie's right leg propped up a little? Yeah, probably. But not because it would eliminate doubt of her perceived one-leggedness.

Actually, my biggest opportunity for improvement suggestion would be to locate a more aesthetically pleasing surface for her to sit on. This looks like a folding table with a black sheet on top of it (which it may be). The rest of the scene is warm, inviting, comforting. The table looks hard, dark, unforgiving. And while it's a very small part of the image, I think the contrasting "feelings" it injects could be eliminated by selecting a better surface.

Finally... I can't help but wonder how this image would look with Jeannie leaning up against a big oak tree, sitting on nice, lush grass. If she were wearing a bathing suit bottom which was hidden by the shirt, a wayward tree root, grass/flowers/whatever, there would be no reason for anyone who saw her to complain and I think the setting, in "mother nature", would exponentially increase the impact of the image. I also think the image could serve a dual purpose as a pro-breastfeeding in public piece, if that were so desired.

Having said all of that, I still LOVE the image and if this image were of my wife feeding either of our 2 children, I'd print it without hesitation and hang it up :-)

Apr 15, 2016 at 05:02 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password