New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Grand Canyon | Petrified Forest | Joshua Tree

wayneng
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Grand Canyon | Petrified Forest | Joshua Tree

Hi all,

Spontaneous roadtrip suddenly got thrown into my schedule to help a friend move out to the LA area, so we're driving from Austin to LA. We plan on doing this all in 2 days but wanted to briefly hit these spots along the way (yes, I know its really brief and won't have ideal settings).

We're going to go 1st week of May, planning on getting to Petrified Forest in the morning and grand canyon in afternoon. Joshua Tree the next day.

With just about a day for each of the parks, what would be your top recommended photo spots? I've been to Grand Canyon last summer but wasn't that inspired on a washed out sunny day but hoping it would be different this time around. Never been to Petrified or Joshua tree.

Apr 11, 2016 at 01:19 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Grand Canyon | Petrified Forest | Joshua Tree

You're not even going to wait for sunset at GC?

About all you can do is pray to the weather gods for dramatic conditions.
If the skies are clear, you might bail on GC altogether. Go hike Oak Creek instead. That would save at least an hour of driving and give you some lovely creek / tree / redrock shots.

Edited on Apr 14, 2016 at 08:16 PM · View previous versions

Apr 11, 2016 at 02:42 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Grand Canyon | Petrified Forest | Joshua Tree

I'd skip the forest and spend that time in the canyon, or anywhere else for that matter. At the most, do a drive by thru the forest.

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:49 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Grand Canyon | Petrified Forest | Joshua Tree

I'd do the drive through at Petrified Forest - we hit it last fall mostly just because I handn't before -, start at the north end then out the south end of Petrified Forest. The north end is more colorful desertish erosion features with some petrified rock bits, the south end is a lot of petrified rock. It's kind of interesting but not sure you have the time or time of day for great photos. - but there isn't much else out there east of Flagstaff until you are in the forest area around Flagstaff. The meteor crater but that's kind of expensive and interesting for what it is but not all that photogenic and you can see it from the highway. Again, it's not really on your route, go north from Flagstaff, then east along the south rim. A variety of overlooks, points, Desert Watch Tower, etc. Kind of depends on how much time you want to spend there, too. West of Williams isn't real exciting on I-40 but faster than old Route 66. that has some nostalgia if you pass through the towns and even 66 has some business routes through town, highway bypassing the towns. Joshua Tree is south of I-40. I guess I'd go in from 29 Pallms and drive the main road, checking things out as you go. If you see something interesting, stop and wander some.

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:30 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Grand Canyon | Petrified Forest | Joshua Tree

Petrified Forest is not a very productive location, in terms of photography. It is mostly flat, although there is some interesting scenery, for example, at Blue Mesa. The problem is that it is closed when the light is the best.
So if I had limited time, such as you, I would spend it at Grand Canyon or Sedona.

Sasha.

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:48 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Grand Canyon | Petrified Forest | Joshua Tree

Craig Gillette wrote:
West of Williams isn't real exciting on I-40 but faster than old Route 66. that has some nostalgia if you pass through the towns and even 66 has some business routes through town, highway bypassing the towns. Joshua Tree is south of I-40. I guess I'd go in from 29 Pallms and drive the main road, checking things out as you go. If you see something interesting, stop and wander some.

Yeah I stayed overnight in Williams and it is a cute little town. Good place to stay on the way to/from the South Rim. I like Cafe 326 which is right on the main Route 66 through town if I recall correctly. If you're in to photographing old Americana type towns and midcentury motels in various states of disrepair then you might want to allot some more time to the drive itself. Just the sheer wilderness you are driving through on I-40 can be captivating and can be great subject matter for photography that is a little different from your typical GC type shots.

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:16 PM
wayneng
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Grand Canyon | Petrified Forest | Joshua Tree

thanks for the tips so far. seems like there's not much love for petrified forest or joshua tree :P

Apr 14, 2016 at 02:25 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Grand Canyon | Petrified Forest | Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree is fine. If you happen to arrive at least an hour+ before sunset, head up to Keys View for a quick tour of the park and nice sunset view.

Apr 14, 2016 at 08:13 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Grand Canyon | Petrified Forest | Joshua Tree

If you have an interest in such things, and the sky is something other than bland and clear, Meteor Crater is an interesting / pretty place to stop.

Apr 14, 2016 at 08:18 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Grand Canyon | Petrified Forest | Joshua Tree

I though Petrified Forest was interesting - but I'm kind of a geology fan. the problem is you are covering quite a distance in a limited time and it's kind of hard to predict the sorts of things that might be interesting to others - that and there are limited hours at that park. It takes sometime to drive through and would take a bit more time to try to work out interesting subjects, angles, etc., and for the most part it's wide open and you would be shooting under bright, overhead sun conditions.

Joshua Tree is quite popular but again, there is a range of subject matter and trying to pick out specifics is a bit tough. Lots of joshua trees, granite rock formations and different areas have differing vegetation types., a lot of later in the day potential but not a grand series of iconic vistas like Yosemite or Death Valley or the Grand Canyon. And as pointed out, some of the towns/cities, on ld Route 55 have some intersting opportunities. Flagstaff and Williams are in pretty good shape, lots of tourist dollars keeping the old portions in repair, active, and lively. OTOH. Holbrook and some of the others really show the impact of highway and traveling changes on the old Route 66 communities and facilities.

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:12 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.