New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Online Backup service

tyalexander

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Online Backup service

I'm looking for some feedback on what online backup service you use, I had Carbonite on my last computer I really didn't have any complaints other than the way they throttle the upload, it took weeks to backup my computer.

Apr 11, 2016 at 01:18 PM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Online Backup service

When you're backing up terabytes of data, online backups seem like a bad option for exactly the reason you state. There is no way to do it quickly. A pair of backup drives kept off-site and used on a rotating basis is very reliable and fast for both backup and restore if something bad actually happens.

Apr 11, 2016 at 01:58 PM
tyalexander

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Online Backup service

I've got everything backed up on externals, I still like keeping a cloud based backup just to be safe, as well as being able to access files from my phone or another computer.

Apr 11, 2016 at 02:17 PM
rustinm

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Online Backup service

I use Crashplan. They have / had an option, additional one time charge, where they send you disks to seed in 1TB chunks. From there oyu ship the drive back and they upload to the cloud locally. Once the drive is there you connect to your account. May want to contact them and see if that service is still available

Apr 11, 2016 at 03:01 PM
gadelrosario

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Online Backup service

I use Backblaze. The initial back up of approximately 400 GB took close to a week but updates have been effortless ever since.

Apr 11, 2016 at 04:00 PM
woutgeo

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Online Backup service

I use Amazon cloud (in addition to a back-up drive). The interface is atrocious, but it's free if you're an Amazon prime member and a non-professional. I also use odrive, which helps a bit with the Amazon interface.

Apr 11, 2016 at 04:32 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Online Backup service

I use Crashplan also. After the initial upload, I never notice that the backup is occurring.

Apr 11, 2016 at 04:49 PM
tyalexander

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Online Backup service

Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated, I'm going to check out Crashplan and backblaze to see what they offer.

Apr 11, 2016 at 08:26 PM
rytch0
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Online Backup service

Ditto for Crashplan and Backblaze -- I use both.

Apr 12, 2016 at 07:40 AM
wunhang

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Online Backup service

I use SOSBackup which is a competitor to Crashplan and the like. They're a bit more expensive than Crashplan, but they do backups of network and external drives which is a must for me since I have my photo archive on a NAS. They also do file versioning.

Apr 13, 2016 at 09:48 AM
mstrickland
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Online Backup service

I just started using Backblaze and have about 4 TB of data that I'm transferring - it's taken about a month so far, and has affected my local bandwidth, but I'm happy with the service so far.

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:52 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Online Backup service

Intended more for business use but still affordable for home users, Storagecraft shadow protect (backup) and shadow stream (cloud service) are very good and offer excellent customer support.

You have two options for cloud back up. You can use one of their vendors, mail a seed disk, and then start uploading incrementals. Or you can be your own cloud and put your seed disk offsite (parent, friend's house, etc) and have your backups stream to it.

The software handles the backups, emailing event notices, streaming the backups, and also checking existing files for continued integrity (ie MD5 sums). I had my cloud integreity check go bonkers last year with a flurry of email alerts that my cloud backups were corrupted. Determined my mobo was dying affecting the hard drive bus, and fixed it right away.

David

Apr 13, 2016 at 01:19 PM
Chris Finlay
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Online Backup service

I've been on the fence about fully engaging in an online backup process for a while now. I've got multiple copies of stuff locally, but I'm still missing the off-site component and need to take care of that.

I started using Amazon prime's photo storage a couple days ago. It'll work for basic stuff, but the interface isn't all that great.

I had looked into the other amazon offerings, and had stumbled onto Glacier, which I interpret to be a sort of insurance policy type backup system (e.g., you get to pay the deductible when/if you need to download your files). I haven't gotten very far on getting anything uploaded anywhere, though. My photo library isn't terribly well organized and I feel like that might need to be the first step.

I did checkout crashplan on the suggestion of the above posters, and it may be something I consider going forward, as well.

Apr 20, 2016 at 04:12 PM
JPAZ

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Online Backup service

1+ for Crashplan. FWIW, it runs constantly in the background and I hope to never need to find out if it will allow me to recover data in event of a crash or HD failure. The initial upload a couple of years back did take forever, like all cloud baed services. I also periodically back up to an external HD and also run a mirror RAID real time.

Nothing is perfect. Even printing all your images is no guarantee. I have boxes of old prints and negative from film days that would be history if anything happened to the site where they are stored.

Apr 20, 2016 at 05:06 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Online Backup service

JPAZ wrote:
I hope to never need to find out if it will allow me to recover data in event of a crash or HD failure.

If you don't test at least one recovery, all your backups are a gamble.

Apr 20, 2016 at 06:18 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Online Backup service

dgdg wrote:
If you don't test at least one recovery, all your backups are a gamble.

You got that right. Definitely test out your backup.

Apr 20, 2016 at 06:20 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.