Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Nikon 105mm f/2.8D, is the VR worth the extra cash?

NYCPhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 105mm f/2.8D, is the VR worth the extra cash?

The non-VR has been around for ages and it gets high praise. I've used the VR version in the past and it was spectacular. I don't have any experience with the non-VR one. Anybody use them both and is the extra $300 worth it for the VR?

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:33 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 105mm f/2.8D, is the VR worth the extra cash?

Better AF, VR "can" come in handy, and finally there's the Nano coating.
I thought it more than worth the modest price differential (<$100 when I scored mine)

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:16 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 105mm f/2.8D, is the VR worth the extra cash?

$300 is an easy choice for (very good) VR and faster AF compared to the older D version. I don't even use a tripod for a lot of my 'macro' shots anymore unless I have to, it has saved me so much time and hassle. The AF is accurate pretty much right down to 1:1.

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:23 AM
Nate71LB
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 105mm f/2.8D, is the VR worth the extra cash?

For myself it is because I use it a lot as a general purpose short telephoto and as a portrait lens. If I used it for geting macro shots only, I would not consider VR "worth it" because for that type shooting, I use it with flash and don't AF.

Apr 11, 2016 at 01:42 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 105mm f/2.8D, is the VR worth the extra cash?

Nate71LB wrote:
For myself it is because I use it a lot as a general purpose short telephoto and as a portrait lens. If I used it for geting macro shots only, I would not consider VR "worth it" because for that type shooting, I use it with flash and don't AF.

Yeah, same here. Macro capability is a secondary function for me, but the VR and AF are both very good. FWIW, my copy is one of the older "Made in Japan" versions. I guess newer releases were made in China. I don't have any first hand account of the difference, but in general I'll take Japan over China on about anything.

Apr 11, 2016 at 01:52 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 105mm f/2.8D, is the VR worth the extra cash?

It's absolutely worth the extra money. I have lots of sharp images I would never have gotten when I didn't have a tripod with me. Plus it makes a great portrait lens and short telephoto with a TC-14 with VR.

Edited on Apr 11, 2016 at 04:03 PM · View previous versions

Apr 11, 2016 at 02:39 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 105mm f/2.8D, is the VR worth the extra cash?

If you want to use it as macro as well as short tele, for which it does a spectacular job, it's well worth the upgrade.

If you already own a 70-200 f2,8 VR then you might consider to save a few $ and spend that towards an 85mm f1,8 AF-S

Apr 11, 2016 at 02:54 PM
NYCPhotog
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 105mm f/2.8D, is the VR worth the extra cash?

Already have a 70-200 VR and an 85 1.8.

Apr 11, 2016 at 03:02 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon 105mm f/2.8D, is the VR worth the extra cash?

Well hell, I can't say that this is terribly helpful but I was just editing and hit this one from last week. Handheld with VR (and a speedlight at full power in a 24" softbox), focused with AF.

Apr 12, 2016 at 09:34 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon 105mm f/2.8D, is the VR worth the extra cash?

Yes. I had both, but kept the 100mm VR.

Kent in SD

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:14 PM
RKH
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon 105mm f/2.8D, is the VR worth the extra cash?

Two23 wrote:
Yes. I had both, but kept the 100mm VR.

Kent in SD

I thought we were talking about the Nikon 105 vr or non (oops)vr?? I have the non vr and love it.

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:44 PM
highcontrast
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon 105mm f/2.8D, is the VR worth the extra cash?

Depends on how you're going to use it. I've owned multiple copies of both, and if traditional, disciplined tripod-based manual-focus macro is your use for this lens then the non-VR is actually a bit sharper. But if the lens will double as a handheld portrait lens, or you'll use it handheld for macro or other general purpose stuff, in most cases you'll get sharper results with the VR.

Apr 13, 2016 at 01:07 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon 105mm f/2.8D, is the VR worth the extra cash?

RKH wrote:
I thought we were talking about the Nikon 105 vr or non (oops)vr?? I have the non vr and love it.

Obviously left off the 5. Nikon 105mm VR micro. Don't think there even is a Nikon 100mm in current production.

Kent in SD

Apr 13, 2016 at 07:52 AM
NYCPhotog
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon 105mm f/2.8D, is the VR worth the extra cash?

Thanks for the feedback.

Won't be a portrait lens. It'll mostly be handheld macro work. Having said that, it looks like the extra cash for a used VR is the way to go.

Apr 13, 2016 at 09:39 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon 105mm f/2.8D, is the VR worth the extra cash?

Diavolo wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Won't be a portrait lens. It'll mostly be handheld macro work. Having said that, it looks like the extra cash for a used VR is the way to go.

There are two versions of the 105 VR that you'll see when looking. The original runs were made in Japan and the newer models are made in China. I can't speak to any quality difference or design changes. As far as I know they are the same design. My copy is made in Japan. If given the choice, I'll take Japan over China for putting my lenses together.

Apr 13, 2016 at 09:49 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.