New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Buy a non-US version of Olympus camera and/or lenses

penghai
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buy a non-US version of Olympus camera and/or lenses

Thinking of buying an Olympus E-M1 and a 12-40 lens, I'm considering buying the grey market products to save some bucks. I'm wondering:

1. If you own an Olympus camera/lenses, does it ever need to go back to Olympus for service?
2. There are brand new e-m1 for under $620 in the bay, versus a new USA model of $999. This seems well worth it.
3. If I don't mind to pay, will Olympus service a non-US model camera?

Could anyone share your experiences/insight ?

Thanks

Apr 11, 2016 at 12:48 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buy a non-US version of Olympus camera and/or lenses

1. My wife picked me up a E-M1 kit with 12-40 when she was overseas and after some negotiating was able to get it for around $1,000 usd. I've bought some grey market lenses before (4 Sony, 2 Olympus) and never had any issues with them. Just consider them to be the equivalent of buying a used lens out of warranty.

2. The price difference would seem to be significant enough to take that risk.

3. They will accept it but you'll have to pay for the repair. Base price for repairs starts at around $195 if I remember correctly.

This is from an email I exchanged from them a few weeks ago.

"You would have to pay the flat rate repair fee which can be found on the link below.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_servicerepair.asp?utm_source=getolympus&utm_campaign=topnav&utm_medium=website&utm_content=service_repair
Thank you for choosing Olympus!"

For me it made sense since it was a gift from my wife meaning that $1,200 I spent on a Pen F could go towards lens purchases. But also because to me the E-M1 is one of the best bodies I've ever used in terms of ergonomics.

Again if you go into it thinking that you're paying the price of buying a used body off the B&S forums which wouldn't have warranty on them to begin with but instead getting a brand new camera at a significant savings it might offset any hesitation of not having a warranty. Used copies are selling for the same or more than a new grey market. It's physically the same as a US retail body, with selectable video frame rates (24/25/30). Has 30+ languages and will include an adapter to pull into a US wall (but I use the right angle charger and don't rely on that ridiculous long charger cord).

Apr 11, 2016 at 04:22 AM
srvfm
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buy a non-US version of Olympus camera and/or lenses

I bought and EM5 a few years ago and did have to send it in for small cracks around the LCD. It was originally purchased in Canada but they covered it as US warranty. I also just bought a used EM1 with a local camera shop warranty. The only thing I've read about with the EM1 is one of the back buttons not working over time. I'll gamble for that much of a difference though. Great camera and lens

Apr 11, 2016 at 07:13 PM
Hutch
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buy a non-US version of Olympus camera and/or lenses

In a dSLR the sensor is protected behind the mirror when not in use. Found out the hard way that was not the case with my mirrorless Oly EM1 when spots suddenly appeared in my photos burned in by the sun on the sensor. Fortunately, Oly was good enough to replace the sensor under warranty. I've since found it's a fairly common problem and am now in the habit of switching off the camera between shots.

Apr 11, 2016 at 07:22 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buy a non-US version of Olympus camera and/or lenses

You can pick up a reconditioned E-M1 from Olympus for $720 but if you wait until they have another promotion/offer you might be able to pick one up for under $600, and it comes with a 90-day warranty. Alternatively, you can pick up a lightly-used E-M1 for under $700.

Apr 11, 2016 at 08:35 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buy a non-US version of Olympus camera and/or lenses

bobbytan wrote:
You can pick up a reconditioned E-M1 from Olympus for $720 but if you wait until they have another promotion/offer you might be able to pick one up for under $600, and it comes with a 90-day warranty. Alternatively, you can pick up a lightly-used E-M1 for under $700.

I would think about a reconditioned one from Olympus to get the 90 day warranty but if you're thinking of buying used, for me personally I'd rather pay less for a new grey than a slightly more expensive used. In essence you're buying a product that doesn't carry a warranty why not pay less and get one with 0 actuations? Especially with the way the B&S forums may turn out, that LNIB might not actually be LNIB.

Mine came with FW 4.0 loaded on it and is identical to one I would pick up at Amazon or B&H here in the states.

Apr 12, 2016 at 04:19 AM
penghai
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Buy a non-US version of Olympus camera and/or lenses

HI,

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences and thinking.

Eric

Apr 12, 2016 at 06:24 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Buy a non-US version of Olympus camera and/or lenses

One way to look at it, is that a lot of places accept returns for a couple of weeks. If there are manufacturing issues, they'd probably show up in a couple weeks. Of course, if it has marks, they might not take it back.

Not saying I always buy grey, but it's one way to look at it. I'd be more hesitant on more expensive items, though.

Apr 12, 2016 at 07:19 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.