New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2016 · Regrets/mistakes??

Grantland
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Regrets/mistakes??

If you could do it over again . . . Camera, lens, excursions/trip, etc, etc . . .

We all have regrets? No big deal. . . Help us learn . . . from yours.

My biggest regret is when I was new to Nikon 3 yrs ago (10 yrs w/Canon). I didn't understand all the lens variations/names . I pick up a 300 f/4 d ( screw drive) lens. I used it once and it stills sits my closest. Don't get me wrong . . . it will produce nice pictures. Just not what I was needed for action pictures. Since then I picked up a 300mm f/4E AF-S and I am happy.

How about you?

Apr 10, 2016 at 06:18 PM
Elisha82
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Regrets/mistakes??

Purchasing a Sigma 530 DG Super flash during my Sony Alpha mount days which failed the night before my sisters wedding.
Purchasing a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX from my Canon days from a forum member that said he only used it once and switched mounts. Had to send it to be calibrated twice and even after a bunch of component replacements, it was very soft almost as if shot trough a dirty window!
Selling my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX. Beautiful lens once it returned from calibration and it lived on my 7D for almost the whole of 2010!
Selling my 7D and purchasing a 5D2 a year later. POS was slow, clunky and garbage AF. Anything other than center point was unusable in low light without AF assist!
Most recent regret is not purchasing the Nikon 85mm f/1.8 when the Canadian prices were similar to US prices! Can't stomach the $599 price tag for a lens that cost under $450 just a year ago!

Apr 10, 2016 at 06:39 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Regrets/mistakes??

Regrets? I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention.

Apr 10, 2016 at 06:46 PM
rovin47
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Regrets/mistakes??

Purchasing a D7100 a year and a half ago before doing ample research on the camera. Had I done so I would have found that a lot of users were having auto focus problems with this body.

Apr 10, 2016 at 06:50 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Regrets/mistakes??

First 2 to come to mind.

1. Going to Patagonia without knowing photography. I got my first DSLR(used D80) from a friend before moving to south america. Soon after moving to Peru we went to Patagonia and I was still the type of person who shot in P or auto mode. I didn't know what RAW was or have any concept of exposure. The trip was amazing and Torres Del Paine was stunning. The scenery was so good I even got some good shots. Sadly I shot the whole trip in small JPG.
After this trip I told myself I either need to learn photography or sell my DSLR and get a small P&S. That started my obsession.

2. Picking up my backpack in a hotel without realizing the zipper was not closed. Watching my 17-35 hit the marble floor and become a paper weight.

Edited on Apr 10, 2016 at 07:15 PM · View previous versions

Apr 10, 2016 at 06:51 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Regrets/mistakes??

snapsy wrote:
I've had a few.

Opps

Apr 10, 2016 at 06:54 PM
SteveS
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Regrets/mistakes??

rovin47 wrote:
Purchasing a D7100 a year and a half ago before doing ample research on the camera. Had I done so I would have found that a lot of users were having auto focus problems with this body.

I have the D7100. Never a focus issue. Best DX camera I ever owned. But my only regret was buying a new 7D. Had nothing but focus issues. Came over to Nikon after that and never had focus issues again.

Apr 10, 2016 at 06:58 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Regrets/mistakes??

mysh wrote:
First 2 to come to mind.

1. Going to Patagonia without knowing photography. I got my first DSLR(D80) from a friend used before moving to south america. Soon after moving to Peru we went to Patagonia and I was still the type of person who shot in P or auto mode. I didn't know what RAW was or have any concept of exposure. The trip was amazing and Torres Del Paine was stunning. The scenery was so good I even got some good shots. Sadly I shot the whole trip in small JPG.
After this trip I told myself I either
...Show more

thanks for sharing! Refreshing. . . Some have ego's and won't post.

I once had a seņor high senior high school shoot . . . fell in the water w/ 5d2 and 70-200 IS. arghhhh. the water won.

Apr 10, 2016 at 06:59 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Regrets/mistakes??

SteveS wrote:
I have the D7100. Never a focus issue. Best DX camera I ever owned. But my only regret was buying a new 7D. Had nothing but focus issues. Came over to Nikon after that and never had focus issues again.

Go Nikon!

Apr 10, 2016 at 07:00 PM
morrismike
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Regrets/mistakes??

The buying order of equipment.
I got a D5200 and some crappy Tamron and Sigma lens. I should have got a D7100 and 70-300 vrg right off the bat.

I did get a 70-300vrg (best lens for a new dslr guy).

I did get a D7100 finally and gave the D5200 and some lens to my parents.

I went home on vacation with a side trip to the ozarks and was completely unprepared to shoot any astrophotography.

I proceeded to accumulate a lot of good lens right off the bat (which was great but I don't shoot any of them enough). I did finally pick up a 180mm f/2.8 and a 800mm ais f/5.6, but the 17-55. 180, and 800 should have been the next 3 lens after the 70-300.

Edited on Apr 12, 2016 at 10:14 PM · View previous versions

Apr 10, 2016 at 07:01 PM
morrismike
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Regrets/mistakes??

mysh wrote:
First 2 to come to mind.

1. Going to Patagonia without knowing photography. I got my first DSLR(D80) from a friend used before moving to south america. Soon after moving to Peru we went to Patagonia and I was still the type of person who shot in P or auto mode. I didn't know what RAW was or have any concept of exposure. The trip was amazing and Torres Del Paine was stunning. The scenery was so good I even got some good shots. Sadly I shot the whole trip in small JPG.
After this trip I told myself I either
...Show more

It could have been worse. If that had been a 20-35mm you would have been paying to repair the marble floor.

Apr 10, 2016 at 07:04 PM
lorac
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Regrets/mistakes??

snapsy wrote:
Regrets? I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention.

You did it your way.

Apr 10, 2016 at 07:06 PM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Regrets/mistakes??

I sold a Mamiya 7 with 50/80/150 lenses too cheaply, thinking I needed something else. Really wish I'd have hung on to that.

Apr 10, 2016 at 07:23 PM
chrisdupe
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Regrets/mistakes??

Yeah....accumulating a FM B&S feedback of almost 200... Damned GAS!!! With all the money I've blown chasing the perfect system and switching back and forth I could have taken a few trips and made some great photos and memories.

Apr 10, 2016 at 07:41 PM
ab7638
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Regrets/mistakes??

Sometimes I regret upgrading from my 30D/80-200 plastic lens and 1D/75-300 Wally World special. Whenever I look back at the photos taken with those 2 cameras I amazed by the really great pictures they took. Maybe back then I concentrated more on lighting and composition that I did on gears

Apr 10, 2016 at 08:03 PM
VetraLens
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Regrets/mistakes??

Elisha82 wrote:
Most recent regret is not purchasing the Nikon 85mm f/1.8 when the Canadian prices were similar to US prices! Can't stomach the $599 price tag for a lens that cost under $450 just a year ago!

If you're okay with refurbished, Nikon store currently has them for $400. Sign up for email updates and they'll send you a 10% off coupon

Apr 10, 2016 at 08:03 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Regrets/mistakes??

chrisdupe wrote:
Yeah....accumulating a FM B&S feedback of almost 200... Damned GAS!!! With all the money I've blown chasing the perfect system and switching back and forth I could have taken a few trips and made some great photos and memories.

, yes! Too honest

Apr 10, 2016 at 08:10 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Regrets/mistakes??

regret buying a 24-70 when I'm a prime guy.
awesome lens, but
too big. too heavy.
flipped it, but I owned it a year and used it twice.

love having a d810 and d610 overall.
but wish I got a d750 instead of the d610, as my 2nd, for no particular reason.

Apr 10, 2016 at 08:19 PM
dag_anir

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Regrets/mistakes??

well, I would say, selling my D90, I mean, yes i already had a D700 and sold intorder to buy the D810 (which i love and is amazing), but the d90 was my first Dslr, and became my (then GF and now wife's) first camera and she still doesnt forgive me for selling it (and also i miss that camera it was great)

Apr 10, 2016 at 09:17 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Regrets/mistakes??

shooting long lenses handheld and relying of VR to get sharp images. While this works, you come home tired from bearing the weight all day

Apr 10, 2016 at 09:36 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.