Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · ??? insert for luggage to hold lenses, gear ???

chiron
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ??? insert for luggage to hold lenses, gear ???

I am looking for a padded insert that is designed to fit into a normal carry-on rolling bag and to hold lenses, bodies, etc. Ideally, this would be something flatish rather than tall, and have multiple compartments for lenses. It should fit in and just about fill up a standard size carry-on bag The padding should be dense but thin and not excessive so that not too much space is given up to thick padding.

Essentially, it should turn a regular rolling carry-on bag into a well-padded lens and camera case.

Anybody seen anything like this?

Apr 10, 2016 at 08:44 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ??? insert for luggage to hold lenses, gear ???

I used an ultra-light carbon fiber carry-on roller bag for a couple of years, but I switched to a backpack and small shoulder bag about four years ago when the airlines started forcing gate checks for roller bags on small commuter planes, even though mine was undersized and easily fit under any seat. Anyway, I didn't use padded inserts then, and I don't now. Instead, I use individual neoprene lens bags and camera covers. I think it's a better way to go.

Apr 10, 2016 at 08:59 AM
Paul_K
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ??? insert for luggage to hold lenses, gear ???

I took part of the inserts of a Lowe Pro AW II which I don't use anymore, and customized/adapted them to fit the smaller sized, non photo dedicated, cheapo back pack I picked up at a local market (although I admittedly reinforced the stitching of the straps etc).
Apart from the smaller size, the fact it does not have the typical look of a 'photo back pack' (see Lowe pro, Think Tank etc) and thus becomes less obvious for wrong doers (and eager airlines), is a major reason for me to do so.
I admit I'm helped by the fact that I am starting to use/take along less equipment nowadays after switching from shooting sports (surf) back to fashion.

In my surf shooting days I e.g. used to carry along 2 D3's, a 200-400 zoom, 4/600mm, plus some smaller lenses, speedlight, batteries, monopod etc.

In contrast, even when I'm shooting catwalk, I have two smaller sized bodies (d800 and DF) a 70-200, a 24-85, and a monopod, and maybe, depending on what I expect I might encounter a 2/28 (manual lens) and 1.4/58 AF, and a SB800 + extra batterypack.
When I shoot fashion outside on location, I might choose a 2/135 and 1.4/85 instead of the 70-200 and 28 (in the past I used to lug a 2/200 around, in retrospect way too heavy and cumbersome for easy handling) , and ditch the speedlight.

Believe it or not but that all fits snugly in my cheapo back pack, which is smaller then e.g. a Lowe Pro Mini Trekker (one of which I also have lying around)

Apr 10, 2016 at 03:18 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ??? insert for luggage to hold lenses, gear ???

Trekpak is what I used to convert my roller bag to a camera bag. Works great - I just gate check the whole roller bag for the small regional jets. No problems in over 2 years. http://trekpak.com

PS I am not affiliated with the company, just a satisfied customer.

Apr 10, 2016 at 03:25 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ??? insert for luggage to hold lenses, gear ???

Mountainsmith makes some 'cubes' that work well.
Consider ebay.
F-stop has some nice cubes (ICUs).
Careful with carryon with wheels. On regional jets, I often see people having to gate check them. Hence I use a Loka or Gura Gear backpack instead.
I actually put a gura gear backpack into one of my checked bags along with my tripod and other things. Makes it easy to grab and go later.

Apr 11, 2016 at 07:59 AM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ??? insert for luggage to hold lenses, gear ???

Yes, with some of the small regional jets, I have had to gate check. No problem. I would not check it through regular checked baggage, however.

Apr 11, 2016 at 08:24 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.