New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

happygirl

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

I plan to use the tablet for digital art painting (corel painter, etc.), some editing in LR 5.7 (no photoshop). I will not be using it for free-form drawing.

Pro/cons of pen usage, smoothness of software operations, etc. from any of ya'll who have used either or both of these tablets? How difficult (or easy) is it to get used to hand movement on the Wacom tablet while watching the computer screen as I edit?

The Ipad pro (?) sounds really good, but I use a pc with windows.

My plan is to use it mainly for digital art painting/some editing, not as an actual computer. Wireless is important.

Thanks!

Ooops, just saw the previous questions about SP4.

Apr 09, 2016 at 05:56 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

I have read that Lightroom iOS tablet version is not as good as lightroom version on the Mac and Pc. An iPad pro can not run PC or Mac applications like Photoshop. You would need you check with Corel to see if they have a version of painter for iOS. I do not think there is an iOS version. I do not use Lightroom and I am not a fan of iOS where one can not even access iOS file system. I would rather use the Android OS on a tablet.

I have read good things about the Apple $100 pencil. There also is a $20 app name Astropad available that enable you to use your iPad Pro like a Wacom Cintiq wired or wireless with your Mac. So you can use your Apple pencil with your Mac application like Photoshop and Painter via Astropad and a mac. Astropad does not support Windows PC.

Apr 09, 2016 at 09:41 PM
happygirl

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

Thanks for your reply and the information, but as stated in my OP, I use a PC with windows, not a Mac, so obviously anything to do with Apple I cannot use.:-(

Apr 10, 2016 at 03:25 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

Yes, you read what I posted correctly and I did check on the Corel website I was correct there is no iOS version painter. So if you want to use painter that will not be possible on an iPad. So you are right you can not use Apple.

Panter is Mac and PC only no iPad Pro it uses iOS not OSX

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:15 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

happygirl wrote:
How difficult (or easy) is it to get used to hand movement on the Wacom tablet while watching the computer screen as I edit?

I found it very easy, and in fact easier in some ways than drawing on paper because my hand doesn't obscure the picture!

Make sure, though, that you tick the option "Force Proportions" in the driver preferences/settings (on the Mac, this is per user). It isn't the default and if you don't set it it will try to use the whole area of the tablet even if the aspect ratio isn't the same as the screen's - you'd have to draw an ellipse to get a circle. That's insanely unintuitive, and if you've heard stories about it being hard that might be the reason.

I've had problems with the drivers for Mac supplied by Wacom in the past, but the current version seems to be OK.

Apr 11, 2016 at 03:14 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

melcat wrote:
I found it very easy, and in fact easier in some ways than drawing on paper because my hand doesn't obscure the picture!

I've been using tablets since 1996, Cintiq products since 2008, and the iPad Pro since 2015. One can certainly get used to using a drawing surface that is different from the visualization surface, but I would not recommend it. Melcat is one of many artists extol the benefit of an unobstructed screen, so that preference is certainly a powerful one. However, I have found this benefit to be hugely overrated. In my 12+ years using CalComp and Wacom Intuos and Bamboo tablets, I got very good at drawing on the table while looking at an unobstructed screen. It's nice, but I would still say that moving from Intuos to Cintiq was a complete and total revelation. The little things got a lot easier, including the ability to make the perfect stroke the first time, every time. This sort of instant and relatable visual feedback is a huge time saver.

All that being said, my wife still uses an Intuos 5 and has no interest in a Cintiq or iPad Pro, so you can definitely build a pretty strong workflow around an Intuos. Intuos also costs a lot less than Cintiq. But if the cost variable went away, I can think of no compelling reason to choose Intuos over Cintiq. I find the experience of drawing on the screen to be just that much better, and would happily pay 4-5X the cost of an Intuos to get it.

Apr 11, 2016 at 12:49 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

I would think an artist would prefer a Cintiq experience over an Intuos experience. A retoucher may like the Intuos way better. Different strokes for different folks.

Apr 11, 2016 at 01:38 PM
happygirl

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

I would like the Cintiq but not in a position to pay twice the amount.

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:04 PM
eyal.ma
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

I have the wacom intuos and iPad pro 12.7".
I am now working on the iPad pro as a screen/editing cintiq style. It works great.
You can use the iPad pro (or surface pro 4) as external monitor to either windows or mac, with appropriate apps. You are not limited to apple only product line.

The advantages of the surface pro is that you can completely run everything on it directly, full version and all, as it runs windows 10.

The advantages of the wacom is the pen itself, but if you get a good enough stylus pen, it might be just as good.

Apr 12, 2016 at 03:38 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

eyal.ma wrote:
You can use the iPad pro (or surface pro 4) as external monitor to either windows or mac, with appropriate apps. You are not limited to apple only product line.

Yes, I use my Surface Pro 3 216ppi display or my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 359ppi display as a Third High-resolution Display on my Windows workstation using Spacedesk. Wirelessly just use Chrome on the tablets. However the surface pen, apple pen and touch one the tablet is not usable on the workstation.

I have also used my intuos Small with my Surface Pro 3. The Surface pro 3, 216 ppi resolution is usable with Photoshop UI, I do not believe that the Surface Pro 4 or Surface Book 264PPI resolution would be. I would need to use Photoshop 2x UI and scale Photoshop UI to 132ppi. In some respect, the Surface pro 3 is better for me than the Pro 4.

I can also use Photoshop on the Surface preo 3 without the keyboard using Touchkey instead. However, I prefer to use the keyboard, keep my fingers off my display for my retouch work and use my Intuos wirelessly with my surface.

Apr 12, 2016 at 08:24 AM
architect7
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

I use an iPad Air 2 with Microsoft's Remote Desktop app to perform editing on my main workstation via anywhere in my house. Works great and best of both worlds, nice light tablet I can use anywhere but then I still get the robust hardware performance with my big workstation. YMMV but I've found it difficult to use LR on anything less than a very fast i7 workstation, mobile i7 CPUs just don't seem up to the task for the big D810 files, even when using Smart Previews and SSD. Makes sense since a mobile i7 CPU is usually rated at ~40% of how fast a typical desktop i7 will perform.

iPad Pro with RDP app accessing a fast workstation would probably be a great combo, though I like the light weight of the iPad Air 2. If you do get an iPad Pro, make sure it is deeply discounted via sale on Slickdeals.net, etc. because it has not done well with enterprises so distributors have been fire-saling them for cheap lately.

Apr 12, 2016 at 09:58 AM
happygirl

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

the iPad Air would be very nice indeed, but I can't use it as I have Windows/PC.

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:27 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

I do not like iOS while with some available apps you can share files between your computer and your iOS mobile device. I still find it a pain I can not access apple iOS file system.

My wife prefers to use her iPad Air 2 where I use my Samsung Galaxy Tabs s 8.4. Even with the free ES Files explorer I have no problem easily assessing the Android file systems and all network machines disk and Routers Disk. I may pay the $3 to get rid of the ad and get the extras its an outstanding app.

All mobile devices have web browsers though only windows tablet browsers support flash these days.

Remote computer access control is possible but I stopped using it and just use their disk remotely. If I want to use Photoshop I'll go to my workstation use its two displays add a mobile high-resolution display wirelessly as a third Windows display.

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:53 PM
architect7
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

happygirl wrote:
the iPad Air would be very nice indeed, but I can't use it as I have Windows/PC.

Hmm, I don't think you quite understood my previous post, I too use only Windows for everything desktop. I use the Microsoft Remote Desktop App on my iPad to access my Windows workstation and I actually use very little of the native iOS apps. The iPad as a touch input device is near perfect and then it makes a great reader/travel device too.

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:11 AM
eyal.ma
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

Mr Mouse wrote:
Yes, I use my Surface Pro 3 216ppi display or my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 359ppi display as a Third High-resolution Display on my Windows workstation using Spacedesk. Wirelessly just use Chrome on the tablets. However the surface pen, apple pen and touch one the tablet is not usable on the workstation.

I have also used my intuos Small with my Surface Pro 3. The Surface pro 3, 216 ppi resolution is usable with Photoshop UI, I do not believe that the Surface Pro 4 or Surface Book 264PPI resolution would be. I would need to use Photoshop 2x
...Show more

I'm using astropad as my remote connection between the computers. Worked with either cable or wifi, and it fully support the apple pencil.
You can also use duet display which also support it.

Apr 13, 2016 at 06:16 AM
eyal.ma
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

happygirl wrote:

You can use apps which either makes the iPad a secondary touch screen monitor to the windows machine, or copy the window and gives you stylus or pencil support.
I tried the iPad pro + pencil with astropad app on windows and mac, works great.

Apr 13, 2016 at 06:18 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

eyal.ma wrote:
I'm using astropad as my remote connection between the computers. Worked with either cable or wifi, and it fully support the apple pencil.
You can also use duet display which also support it.
I tried the iPad pro + pencil with astropad app on windows and mac, works great.

You use a Mac astropad does not support Windows PC or Linux PC and there is no plan to add such support. For PC users astropad is $20 down the drain. You also wrote you tried astropad on windows how?

Astropad Windows ?

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:16 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

architect7 wrote:
I use an iPad Air 2 with Microsoft's Remote Desktop app to perform editing on my main workstation via anywhere in my house. Works great and best of both worlds, nice light tablet I can use anywhere but then I still get the robust hardware performance with my big workstation. YMMV but I've found it difficult to use LR on anything less than a very fast i7 workstation, mobile i7 CPUs just don't seem up to the task for the big D810 files, even when using Smart Previews and SSD. Makes sense since a mobile i7 CPU is usually rated
...Show more

I tried using my iPad Air 2 with MS Remote Desktop, and while I could see everything, it was difficult to use. The iPad doesn't let you use a mouse. It's tedious to use your finger to find the pointer to put on top of the things you want to make adjustments with... it's just not effective.

Unless I'm missing something?

Plus, Photoshop CS6 extends beyond the viewing window as do other windows. It's just weird.

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:46 PM
architect7
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
I tried using my iPad Air 2 with MS Remote Desktop, and while I could see everything, it was difficult to use. The iPad doesn't let you use a mouse. It's tedious to use your finger to find the pointer to put on top of the things you want to make adjustments with... it's just not effective.

Unless I'm missing something?

Plus, Photoshop CS6 extends beyond the viewing window as do other windows. It's just weird.

I guess I'm the opposite, I love being able to switch to mouse control in the RDP app and the offset control allows me to move my finger naturally instead of using a stylus or mouse and then I get to see exactly what I'm doing, down to the pixel level. I have a WACOM tablet but I honestly haven't used it in years because using the iPad as an input device is so much more natural. But I could see how this would be a learning curve for someone who prefers using a physical input device like a mouse, stylus, pen, etc.

Home network and internet speeds definitely play a big part as well. I'm on all CAT7 with a very efficient gigabit switch and router, performance and input feedback was drastically improved when I upgraded from my aging 6 year old Netgear router to my brand new TP-Link Archer C9 router. Plus now I have full WiFi coverage of the backyard.

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:58 AM
matthewcrim

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Surface Pro 4 or Wacom Intuous

In my view, Surface pro 4 is the most effective replacement for laptop by Microsoft. Most of us feel comfortable about writing with ballpoint pen on paper and you can get the similar feeling when you write with Surface Pen on your Surface Pro 4. Microsoft besides bringing you cost-saving benefits with Microsoft Surface Pro 4 discount code also brings Cortana, who will work as your personal digital assistant.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Promo Code http://www.promocodesoffice.com/microsoft-surface-pro-4-promo-code-coupons.html

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:20 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.