Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · How much time pre-ceremony?

giddyup
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How much time pre-ceremony?

Just wondering how much time you usually need pre-ceremony? I realize this depends on the couple, and if you are working solo or with a 2nd. So please specify if you work with another photographer - or what the time difference is solo and with 2nd.

I usually shoot solo, here are general time needs:

2 hours for general stuff without a first look: getting ready bride, getting ready groom, bride details, wedding party, shots with mom and dad, venue, etc.

2.5-3 hours needed if they want a 1st look.

3 hours needed if they have multiple locations for venue & getting ready.

Guess I'm just wondering if I am slow. It sure doesn't feel like it. I encourage them to let me start 2.5 hours ahead of time for general, just in case things run late.

How do you reason with clients about pre-ceremony time needs?

Apr 08, 2016 at 06:49 AM
JohnnyArguedas
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How much time pre-ceremony?

My suggested timeline has been the same from when I shot solo to now shooting with my wife. I ask for 1 hour (at least) of getting ready. That takes care of pre-wedding details and candids. After that we build in additional time if they have a first look (15 minutes plus travel time), and then any pre-ceremony formals (30 mins family/bridal party, 30 mins with couple).

Apr 08, 2016 at 09:22 AM
canon pants
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How much time pre-ceremony?

I usual get 1 hour with groom,1.5 hours with bride. This seems to work well.

Apr 10, 2016 at 07:43 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How much time pre-ceremony?

Ceremony is usually in the afternoon so the bride starts getting ready 2 hours at most before she needs to be in the car and driven to the location. That is when I arrive to photography her with her family and friends. I do informal group shoots immediately before her half of the wedding party departs. With the groomsmen it is more like an hour before the departure time - less getting ready but I photograph the interaction between the groom and the groomsmen and parents if they are present.

Where I shoot the traffic is unpredictable so I leave so as to arrive 1/2 to 1 full hour ahead of schedule. I cannot afford to be late because I hit traffic. I find that my arrival also reduces the stress level for the bride as she can stop worrying about when I will show up.

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:40 AM
giddyup
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How much time pre-ceremony?

Yeah, the traffic here can get really backed up as well, and most of my weddings are an hour away, so I end up leaving 30-40 min earlier than I need to, just in case. A lot of times I show earlier than I need to, but I can spend that time setting up lights or looking for good portrait spots, or just starting a little early. There have also been times where I have got stuck in traffic and am grateful I leave some cushion time before official start time.

Apr 11, 2016 at 09:31 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How much time pre-ceremony?

When things start happening I start shooting. We document so that means we are there all day long. I don't like to miss anything. So could be 1 hour before... could be 8 hours before. Each wedding is different.

Apr 12, 2016 at 03:38 PM
mirrorrim
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How much time pre-ceremony?

2 hours before. I spend majority of the time with the bride, and if groom is in the same location then I spend about 15 mins with him right before bride is ready to put on the dress. Then I go back to bride for the dress zip up. In this time I get shoe, jewelry, and dress detail shots along with candids.

If there's a first look, I arrive 3 hours before. That last hour is 30 mins for bride and groom portraits and 30 mins to "prepare for ceremony" (either travel, hide from guests, venue detail shots, or most likely, time buffer in case things ran late).

Apr 13, 2016 at 07:47 PM
seangannon

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How much time pre-ceremony?

I am normally with the boys for about 30-45 minutes and then go to the bride for 60-90 minutes. This is in the UK where the ceremony is typically at 2pm. So I start at 11- 11.30 with the boys and go from there. Of course there are variants to this.

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:49 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.