Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2016 · Is there a wireless trigger system that doesn't suck even a little?

amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Is there a wireless trigger system that doesn't suck even a little?

Phottix have been 100% reliable for me. I love them. I tried all the typical big names. Had problems with every single one of them. Swapped to Phottix in 2011 (three years use before I stopped shooting), and didn't experience one misfire or failure. I've had several seconds I recommended them to as they had problems with all the other brands (including brands I had not tried), and the one that swapped to Phottix shared the same experience I had. I recommend them without pause.

Oct 22, 2016 at 02:07 AM
ronrandle
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Is there a wireless trigger system that doesn't suck even a little?

How have the Odins and LP180Rs been holding up after some time? Have you been shooting with multiple triggers powered on to control the same lights at all? Any issues? I am not worried about TTL or HSS, but just remote power OCF use. Thanks!

We have a full year of use and they seem to be holding up well. We actually use two different set ups during the reception. I use the Odin II TTL transmitter to control a Canon 600 that I hand hold and two additional Odin II receivers that fire two Elinchrom Quadras. I can't control the power on the Quadra units but the triggers function flawlessly.

My second shooter uses a Mitros+ on her camera for fill and to control the two LP180R's mounted to the same stands as my Quadra heads. We are able to compare our settings at the beginning of the reception and once we lock in our settings it's hard to tell who took which shot when we're editing.

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:03 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Is there a wireless trigger system that doesn't suck even a little?

Still love the RT's ...

430RT x5
600RT x5
STE3 x2

Really looking forward to trying the new Phottix 500w that's compatible with RT's ...

h ttp://www.lightingrumours.com/phottix-indra500lc-8360

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:46 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Is there a wireless trigger system that doesn't suck even a little?

ronrandle wrote:
We have a full year of use and they seem to be holding up well. We actually use two different set ups during the reception. I use the Odin II TTL transmitter to control a Canon 600 that I hand hold and two additional Odin II receivers that fire two Elinchrom Quadras. I can't control the power on the Quadra units but the triggers function flawlessly.

My second shooter uses a Mitros+ on her camera for fill and to control the two LP180R's mounted to the same stands as my Quadra heads. We are able to compare our settings at
...Show more

Are you using the $150 TTL Odin receivers to trigger the Quadras? I've been trying to figure out if any of the other Phottix line would work with the Odin II as a dumb trigger (no TTL or other controls, just fire the flash). I've been reading on their site but it isn't super clear.

Any reason why you and your other shooter don't just fire the same flashes off camera?

Oct 23, 2016 at 09:09 PM
Holger
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Is there a wireless trigger system that doesn't suck even a little?

amonline wrote:
Phottix have been 100% reliable for me. I love them. I tried all the typical big names. Had problems with every single one of them. Swapped to Phottix in 2011 (three years use before I stopped shooting), and didn't experience one misfire or failure. I've had several seconds I recommended them to as they had problems with all the other brands (including brands I had not tried), and the one that swapped to Phottix shared the same experience I had. I recommend them without pause.

Agree, use Phottix, too. In November they introduce a new set of triggers, being usable on Sony, too,
Phottix Triton II:
http://www.phottix.com/media/wysiwyg/downloads/Catalogue_2nd_edition_2016_210916_preview.pdf

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:10 AM
ashton lamont
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Is there a wireless trigger system that doesn't suck even a little?

I have two Odin triggers and five Odin receivers. They are not the Mark II's introduced a few months ago but they have the latest firmware installed - as of a couple of weeks ago anyway.

I've found that although they are 100% reliable they do not work fully with the Canon 5DS-R or Canon 5D Mark IV. You loose the functionality of shooting in ETTL mode - every shot is full power and cannot be reduced from the triggers. Its not a firmware cockup in so much as they still work fine with older bodies such as the Canon 5D Mark II.

They are still perfectly good when in manual mode (guns set to ETTL in order to receive valid commands) in that you can control the guns using ETTL signals from the triggers. Thats the only mode I ever use them in anyway.

Pete

Oct 24, 2016 at 03:07 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Is there a wireless trigger system that doesn't suck even a little?

The Odin triggers are the best but if you do not want to have additional hardware that comes with using a separate trigger system then I would suggest a transceiver unit/system that has the trigger built into the flash. For Nikon there is not a lot of options and fewer ones that are as reliable as the Odin triggers. For the past 3-4 years I have been on a quest to find such an animal. Finally Godox has introduced just such a beast. They have a couple options. An all manual flash that takes AA batteries, an all manual flash that is powered by a Li-on battery and a TTL model with a Li-on battery. The trigger system that is built into these is as reliable as the Odin triggers.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:08 AM
LivLif
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Is there a wireless trigger system that doesn't suck even a little?

MRomine wrote:
Godox has introduced just such a beast. They have a couple options. An all manual flash that takes AA batteries, an all manual flash that is powered by a Li-on battery and a TTL model with a Li-on battery. The trigger system that is built into these is as reliable as the Odin triggers.

These really take the win. The triggers are ultra reliable, great range and the batteries last forever. I'm no longer carrying around a bunch of triggers and AA batteries. The only issue i have had is over heating when you really push them. Other than that they are wonderful and a must buy.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:20 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Is there a wireless trigger system that doesn't suck even a little?

LivLif wrote:
The only issue i have had is over heating when you really push them. Other than that they are wonderful and a must buy.

I have found out the work around on this too. On Nikon bodies with the camera body is set to Auto FP (e-menu Bracketing/Flash) and you set you shutter speed on the camera to one of the matching Auto FP shutter speeds this will automatically set the flash to HSS which will cause the flash to pulse rapidly to achieve the correct exposure at a rate that can not be seen with the human eye. This will cause the flash to hit the overheat plateau much quicker than normal. So when shooting inside at receptions just be sure to keep your shutter speed at 1/250 or lower and you will be fine. For more info see the box in the middle of page 11 of the Cheetah light V860xN manual.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:33 AM
LivLif
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Is there a wireless trigger system that doesn't suck even a little?

MRomine wrote:
I have found out the work around on this too. On Nikon bodies with the camera body is set to Auto FP (e-menu Bracketing/Flash) and you set you shutter speed on the camera to one of the matching Auto FP shutter speeds this will automatically set the flash to HSS which will cause the flash to pulse rapidly to achieve the correct exposure at a rate that can not be seen with the human eye. This will cause the flash to hit the overheat plateau much quicker than normal. So when shooting inside at receptions just be sure to keep
...Show more

I never shoot over 1/250 unless I'm intentionally using HSS. They will over heat regardless. Especially if shooting rapidly at 1/4 power or higher.

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:29 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Is there a wireless trigger system that doesn't suck even a little?

LivLif wrote:
I never shoot over 1/250 unless I'm intentionally using HSS. They will over heat regardless. Especially if shooting rapidly at 1/4 power or higher.

Ok, just thought I would mention that because many Nikon shooters do not realize that if the camera body is set for Auto FP it puts it into the the HSS mode automatically when you reach those shutter speeds.

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:39 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Is there a wireless trigger system that doesn't suck even a little?

ronrandle wrote:
Yes, I use the Odin TTL II receivers that are $140 on Amazon and while they have ETTL capability in my situation they are essentially a dumb trigger. I think you can also use the Stratos receivers but I've personally never tried that.

And great question about me and my second shooter both using the Quadras. We actually did that at our last wedding. One of the guests smashed into her Mitros+ and busted the hot shoe so she had to use a spare Transmitter to trigger the Quadras and it worked out well. She didn't have her fill, but
...Show more

Thanks, that's really helpful! I'll keep digging around to see if the Stratos receiver is compatible or some other dumb receiver that just fires the center pin will work. I guess it would need to understand the channels as well. I don't use manual flashes all the time, but they are a solid backup and also really helpful if I am ganging a few together.

---------------------------------------------

MRomine wrote:
The Odin triggers are the best but if you do not want to have additional hardware that comes with using a separate trigger system then I would suggest a transceiver unit/system that has the trigger built into the flash. For Nikon there is not a lot of options and fewer ones that are as reliable as the Odin triggers. For the past 3-4 years I have been on a quest to find such an animal. Finally Godox has introduced just such a beast. They have a couple options. An all manual flash that takes AA batteries, an all manual flash
...Show more

I've been curious about the Godox/Cheetah/FP stuff as it sounds like a lot of people are going that way. It is certainly a less expensive line as well. I'm not really worried about having Lithium batteries as I am already pretty invested in AA rechargeable batteries and I almost never have to change batteries mid-event. I am curious about the XT32n transmitter as well, though it looks like it isn't out for Nikon yet, just Canon. The X1R is also way way cheaper. :-/

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:49 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Is there a wireless trigger system that doesn't suck even a little?

BSPhotog wrote:
I've been curious about the Godox/Cheetah/FP stuff as it sounds like a lot of people are going that way. It is certainly a less expensive line as well. I'm not really worried about having Lithium batteries as I am already pretty invested in AA rechargeable batteries and I almost never have to change batteries mid-event. I am curious about the XT32n transmitter as well, though it looks like it isn't out for Nikon yet, just Canon. The X1R is also way way cheaper. :-/

They have a model that is non-Li-on battery powered but has all the other features: http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_Camera_Flash_TT685N.html If you want to trigger them without a flash on-camera the trigger to get is the X-T1

Oct 24, 2016 at 03:01 PM
Doug Maclean
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Is there a wireless trigger system that doesn't suck even a little?

Just switched over from Yongnuo to Godex and shot a wedding this weekend with 4 tt 600 speedlights and an AD600 strobe and X1N transmitters on 2 cameras.Not a single misfire and the recycle time was really fast.I like the built in radio receivers in the godex and the menus are clear and quick to change.I hate ttl and just adjust everything manually.The AD 600 is a sweet unit for the price.
Doug M

Oct 26, 2016 at 07:53 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.