New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Pentax SMC Takumar 500 4.5

Mendel314

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pentax SMC Takumar 500 4.5

Hey all
Has anyone used one of these? I can't seem to find much info on them from more recently than ~2008. What I can find is positive, but I was wondering if anyone has used one on a higher resolution camera than 6mp... They seem to go pretty cheap, around $350, which for a lens of this length and speed is damn reasonable. The consensus from film and ~6mp cameras was that it was very sharp, but has uncorrected CA. CA is not a concern for me, since it is easy to fix in post, and at 1/5 the price of comparable lenses that are better corrected, a few seconds more processing seems like no big deal.

Apr 07, 2016 at 09:52 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pentax SMC Takumar 500 4.5

I sold my SMC Pentax 500/4.5, which is basically the same lens, in 2006, after using it for a while on 8MP 20D and 30D cameras. As you mentioned, it's pretty sharp, but has lots of CA - too much for me. I went to the Nikkor *ED 400/3.5 and then Nikkor ED 500/4 P, which have much better image quality. Of course, they're also more expensive, but much less than the Canon 500/4L IS that I now use. The 400/3.5 and especially 500/4 P don't lose much in terms of IQ compared to the 500/4L IS, but the AF and IS are very useful for action, and it provides many times more keepers for me.

Apr 07, 2016 at 12:44 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.