New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

ridnovir

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

I want to get an breakthrough ND filter at first I thought that 10 stop was the way to go but breakthrough site suggests 6 stop is more versatile. I will use it for cityscapes and landscapes for cloud streaks smooth water etc. I do not own any ND filters yet which one 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop would you suggest to buy first.

Edited on Apr 08, 2016 at 11:22 AM · View previous versions

Apr 07, 2016 at 09:09 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

I have a 6 and 10 stop. For sunrise/sunset scenes to smooth the water and (desired or not) smooth the clouds, the 6 stop seems ideal for me and have yet to pull out the 10 stop. Sometimes with my 6 stop at sunrise, I have raised the iso to 200 to shorten the exposure effect. Using my A7R, it is easy to manually focus with the 6 stop already in place which is nice.

I think for brighter scenes, the 10 stop would be better.
If at sunrise/sunset you want that 'water turned to fog' effect or substantial cloud streaks, then I'd get the 10 stop.
3 stops is fairly weak. Most polarizers give about 1.5 stops.

I'd get a 6 stop if you are going to purchase only one initially.
If you plan on shooting often in brighter light or want the 'water fog' effect or want extreme cloud streaks, then I'd suggest the 10 stop. All depends on what you have envisioned.

David

Apr 07, 2016 at 10:19 AM
wunhang

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

Just be aware about two issues using the 10-stop filters that a lot of people don't always mention...

1) Depending on brand, they give different color casts on the images whether it be a purple or blue. You'll find that you won't have such coloration with the 6-stops (or less).

Obviously if you shoot in raw, you can always correct the color cast in post production.

2) You're not going to be able to use the viewfinder at all on a 10-stop. Depending on how much light you have, the 6-stop should allow viewfinder usage. Avoid this limitation by using the liveview capabilities of your camera (if it has it).

Apr 07, 2016 at 11:02 AM
craig_k
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

their recommendation primer:
http://breakthrough.photography/2015-nd-buying-guide/

an x2\x4 model 6 stop would allow for slower shutter speeds in urban use to eliminate "human traffic congestion scenes" ... the 3 stop wouldn't allow for that purpose as a reminder.....it's certainly be more beneficial for smoothing moving waters over the 3stop....the 3.5mm frame edges are nice to prevent vignetting

Apr 07, 2016 at 03:38 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

In general, I use my NDs as follows:

2- and 3-stop are good for gentle blurs on subjects like moderately flowing waterfalls and gentle surf at the beach.
I generally recommend a 3-stop as a good first ND filter if you're only buying one.

6 stops works well for faster waterfalls and clouds.

10-stop filters do a nice job of turning the slow ripples on lakes into mirrors on most days; combine with other NDs if the day's brighter. I don't get a lot of use from my 10-stop ND; the 3- and 6-stop ones are my most used. I also get a lot of use from my Tiffen VND.

As for color cast: I found major cast differences among B+W NDs; my current set of Hoya PRO ND's (2-, 3-, 6-, and 10-stop) exhibit virtually no color shift to my eye (B+W was very obvious so ditched my 2-, 3-, and 6-stop B+Ws pretty quickly). I've compared my Tiffen with a Singh-ray VND and neither exhibits noticeable color shift until the denser ranges are reached.

If you're not sure which ND you really need, then I'd suggest either getting a VND and seeing what you end up using, or buy a 3-stop ND and see how it works for you. While BT are supposed to be the best, the Hoya Pros I have are outstanding and produce fine images with my 5DSR and various L lenses. If you're unhappy with your first ND, then you can move to BT for future ones and at least have a good idea of which one(s) you really need for the work you're trying to do.

Apr 07, 2016 at 06:33 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

currently using a 6 and 10. both by Breakthrough Photography. i can say there is little to no color cast in their product.

Apr 07, 2016 at 07:33 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

My B+W MRC 6-stop ND has a serious color shift of 1000 Kelvin to the warm side as measured using my studio strobes and a Sekonic flash colormeter. The shift is not actually on the Planckian locus, so color-matching the shift by eye is closer to 2000K. Digital color correction works, but I am not pleased with B+W performance.

As for smooth-water effects in broad daylight, a 10-stop ND is required, while 6-stop is good for wide-open shooting in daylight with non-HSS flash (my application).

Apr 08, 2016 at 02:56 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

FWIW: I got a five and a two stop ND that with a PC (one stop) makes a nice Fibonacci series. 1, 2, 3, 5 or 8 stops when stacked. I'm easily amused...

Apr 08, 2016 at 07:20 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

How's your vignetting?

artificialyello wrote:
FWIW: I got a five and a two stop ND that with a PC (one stop) makes a nice Fibonacci series. 1, 2, 3, 5 or 8 stops when stacked. I'm easily amused...

Apr 08, 2016 at 07:56 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

dgdg wrote:
How's your vignetting?

I don't know! Haven't tried the full stack yeat, but all kinds of phenomena are expected with that combo... I might get the opportunity to try it out this summer. I do live at the 58th parallel. ヅ

Edited on Apr 08, 2016 at 11:09 AM · View previous versions

Apr 08, 2016 at 08:10 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

ridnovir wrote:
I want to get an breakthrough ND filter at first I thought that 10 stop was the way to go but breakthrough site 6 stop is more versatile. I will use it for cityscapes and landscapes for cloud streaks smith water etc. I do not own any ND filters yet which one 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop would you suggest to buy first.

6 Stop for your well thought out reasons

Apr 08, 2016 at 10:50 AM
castlekeeper01
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

The variable ND's offer a useful learning tool. Good ones, used appropriately, will let you experiment with a minimum of gear. I use a Singh-Ray vari-n-duo when I travel.

I also have a Lee system. I find the screw on Singh-Ray produces faster results; the Lee system gives me graduated options for horizons.

I would recommend starting with a used variable ND to find what strength(s) you prefer. They are also nice for "between" darkening values - you aren't stuck with just a 3 or 6 stop.

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:20 PM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

I own a 6 and 10 stop right now. If I could do it again I would get a 3 and 6. Then stack when I need to get a longer shutter speed. Stacking my 10 and 6 for 16 is not personally useful.

Apr 16, 2016 at 07:16 PM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

drewmey wrote:
I own a 6 and 10 stop right now. If I could do it again I would get a 3 and 6. Then stack when I need to get a longer shutter speed. Stacking my 10 and 6 for 16 is not personally useful.

You can still get a 3 or 2 stop to complement your stack. You've still got your 6 stop and would not need to stack to get to 10.

Apr 17, 2016 at 02:18 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

Oh I know. I probably will. Just have already spent money on the 10. So in my case, I'll probably keep 3, 6, and 10.

Apr 17, 2016 at 05:52 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

I would probably have bought a 3 and 6 today too. But then I wouldn't have had a Fibonacci series to brag about. ;-)

Apr 17, 2016 at 06:02 AM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

I have the Hitech, Singh-Ray, Lee Big Stopper and a cheap Tiffen and have to say they all have color cast issues.

My last purchase was with the 6 stop and 10 stop Haida filters, (4x4). No color cast issues to report and very good optical quality. I'm a happy camper now.

Here's a review of what I bought by someone I don't know, but he's accurate.

http://www.achim-sieger.de/en/nd-filter-review-lee-big-stopper-formatt-hitech-prostop-irnd-haida/

Good luck with the decision on your purchase.

Apr 17, 2016 at 06:50 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

shutterbug guy wrote:
I have the Hitech, Singh-Ray, Lee Big Stopper and a cheap Tiffen and have to say they all have color cast issues.

My last purchase was with the 6 stop and 10 stop Haida filters, (4x4). No color cast issues to report and very good optical quality. I'm a happy camper now.

Here's a review of what I bought by someone I don't know, but he's accurate.

http://www.achim-sieger.de/en/nd-filter-review-lee-big-stopper-formatt-hitech-prostop-irnd-haida/

Good luck with the decision on your purchase.

I have those 2 as well and would second his comments about color cast (or lack of with the Haida) and overall optical quality.

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:47 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

I prefer 3 and 6 stop filters, but it really depends on the subjects.

EBH

Apr 17, 2016 at 01:09 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which ND filter 3 stop v 6 stop v 10 stop

I only use the 10 stop and have been thinking of getting a 15 stop filter (ND32000). I like the extremes. Sometimes I use less extreme ND filters so I can use my f/1.2 lenses wide open with bright subjects.

Color cast is always an issue with the dark ND filters. After using ND gel filters with extreme red color shift and horrible light leak problems, I just sourced a Haida Slim ND screw-on filter that has been getting good reviews, but can be hard to find in the US. I just received it from a German ebay seller, so no first hand test results yet.

Here's a review and another review of the Haida filter. For me, a value focused gear buyer, the Haida was a no-brainer after reading the linked reviews. I found mine on ebay, 77mm shipped for something like $40 for ND1000 3.0.

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:18 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.