Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Rules & Guidelines | Uninsured Payment Alert!
How to post Feedback | How to Red-Flag a thread

NEVER use Paypal Gift, Venmo, Zelle, Apple Pay, Google Pay or any other uninsured payment!

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2016 · BEWARE: WTB threads

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · BEWARE: WTB threads

To all members starting WTB (want to buy) threads:

I have received some complaints from WTB thread starters who received PMs with very attractive prices from actual scammers.
To better protect yourself against fraud, NEVER participate in transactions with just-registered members who have a low post / feedback count. Even if a new member seems legit (with real names and websites), do NOT participate in such transactions UNTIL you check their references. In some cases, it's best to wait for a more established member to purchase your gear from.

Please proceed with caution, and alert us immediately of any suspicious PM you receive.
Thank you,
Fred

Apr 06, 2016 at 12:22 PM
MC.12.21.12

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · BEWARE: WTB threads

Thanks for the heads-up. Just posted a WTB listing a will be sure to be extra vigilant against these types of too-good-to-be-true scammer offers.

Apr 06, 2016 at 12:30 PM
M3Roc
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · BEWARE: WTB threads

This should be stickied at the top of the FS thread. I've run into this multiple times.

Apr 06, 2016 at 12:30 PM
skyloverz
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · BEWARE: WTB threads

I just got a weird PM from Campredon Film responding to my ZEISS OTUS WTB post
he said he was from Ebay. sent me a link to his ebay items
now I cannot find that PM in my inbox.... my OUTGOING PM is still there

Apr 06, 2016 at 12:33 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · BEWARE: WTB threads

Thanks for making mention of this, Fred--coming from you, it certainly helps.

Apr 06, 2016 at 12:38 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · BEWARE: WTB threads

Hello Mr. Fred,

I am responding to your "WTB threads" post. I wanted to let you know I have some threads that I'm willing to sell you for 40% below the average used price of threads. Please reply back soon so that we can make arrangements for the sale.

Regards,

Apr 06, 2016 at 12:45 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · BEWARE: WTB threads

MC.12.21.12 wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up. Just posted a WTB listing a will be sure to be extra vigilant against these types of too-good-to-be-true scammer offers.

You know, the scam can also come from someone who posts a WTB listing, where they can scam an established FM user.

Beware of anyone with low post counts no matter how long they may have been a member, WTB, WTS, or otherwise.

Apr 06, 2016 at 12:52 PM
Maineguy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · BEWARE: WTB threads

THANKS FRED,
I had 2 scammers contact me in the past 2 weeks from a WTB that I posted. I learned a lot from other long-timer FM'er's as to what questions to ask FM'er's to see if they are for real.

Apr 06, 2016 at 01:00 PM
jcm5
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · BEWARE: WTB threads

I do want to add that as a fairly new person to FM (I think I have now 11 or 12 reviews), it was helpful that someone took a chance on me to sell their item, so that I can start to build up my review count. Obviously no one wants to be scammed, but hopefully people in the Buy/Sell won't automatically discount someone for being new.

Apr 06, 2016 at 01:02 PM
Nocc
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · BEWARE: WTB threads

Maineguy wrote:
THANKS FRED,
I had 2 scammers contact me in the past 2 weeks from a WTB that I posted. I learned a lot from other long-timer FM'er's as to what questions to ask FM'er's to see if they are for real.

Could you link to a guide or something of that nature so we can also learn to discern? It can get pretty blurry at times.

Apr 06, 2016 at 01:12 PM
kris.sb

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · BEWARE: WTB threads

I have been contacted by a person ([email protected]) who used a sold EBay listing and tried to sell me the item.

Apr 06, 2016 at 01:15 PM
jerrybyers
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · BEWARE: WTB threads

jcm5 wrote:
I do want to add that as a fairly new person to FM (I think I have now 11 or 12 reviews), it was helpful that someone took a chance on me to sell their item, so that I can start to build up my review count. Obviously no one wants to be scammed, but hopefully people in the Buy/Sell won't automatically discount someone for being new.

Make sure you use an established payment system. PayPal Gift does not secure, nor guarantee your payment. If you have doubts about the transaction and you don't know the credibility of the other party, always insist on using regular PayPal. The 3% fee is worth it.

Apr 06, 2016 at 01:16 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · BEWARE: WTB threads

Nocc wrote:
Could you link to a guide or something of that nature so we can also learn to discern? It can get pretty blurry at times.

One simple rule would be to insist that the person wanting to sell you something post that item in a FS ad here.

That way it's visible , you can see if they have feedback or not, and Fred (and the site) benefit from those people paying to participate in the Buy & Sell forum.

Apr 06, 2016 at 01:23 PM
mjbetch
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · BEWARE: WTB threads

Always ask for tagged photos. I think Tagged photos should be a requirement on this board now to be honest.

Tag meaning a handwritten tag with the user's FM name as well as the date taken with the item(s) for sale.

I almost got scammed by a "George Duncan" on here. He sent me untagged photos and I was dumb enough to believe him. Paypal held my money until we were able to get it straightened out.

Apr 06, 2016 at 01:29 PM
Johnny McClung
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · BEWARE: WTB threads

I had a scammer PM me from my WTB ad... his username was flying44 and his email is [email protected] with no feedback, brand new registered member showing a location of Florida... telling me he had a mint 50 1.2 L, when i asked him for another feedback source or for any form of verification he stated he was from California... too many red flags for me...

Apr 06, 2016 at 01:31 PM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · BEWARE: WTB threads

Thanks Fred. Just posted a rare (for me) WTB post today. I have my own threshold for feedback and posts here on FM for anyone who might respond. After nearly being taken a couple of years ago, I've got standards in place for my protection.

Apr 06, 2016 at 01:39 PM
demdo
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · BEWARE: WTB threads

That's the second time faba's email shows up in this thread. Seems like a pattern.

Apr 06, 2016 at 01:41 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · BEWARE: WTB threads

Yes, standard vigilance when conducting high value transactions is always a good plan. On the other hand we should not aim to exclude new members from using B+S marketplace here-- at one point or another we all had 0 transactions.

Apr 06, 2016 at 01:43 PM
Nocc
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · BEWARE: WTB threads

I got scammed once trying to buy a beater X-Pro 1. He said he had one that he was willing to sell for $300 or $600 with the 35mm 1.4 lens. This was below the going rate, and the conversation had moved to email (He did this because his account got closed!). Unfortunately, I wasn't as careful as I should've been. In hindsight, I now see that he was rushing the sale via Paypal gift, his Paypal address was sketchy as well. Luckily, I went for the body only, and only lost $300. It was an expensive lesson, that I am glad to have before I got jacked of A LOT more money in my naivety!

Apr 06, 2016 at 01:45 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · BEWARE: WTB threads

I recently had an item for sale in FM buy and sell. It was fairly priced, according previous FM ads, and I have a long history of posting and buying and selling on FM. After posting my item, a day or two later, a clearly long established FMer posted a WTB ad, same as my item for sale. My item met his conditions. I notified him by PM. That long established FMer never replied. At the same time, two other well established FMers posted the same item for sale, also fairly priced. For at least 3 days, none of the identical model items sold. The next day, I got two offers and sold my item.

I have no idea why that FMer posted his want to buy, but he clearly HAD NO INTENTION TO BUY.

After this experience, I will never again respond to WTB ads, no matter how well established that person is.

Apr 06, 2016 at 01:46 PM

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.