New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

grog13
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

I have a nasty 7D sensor I can't seem to get clean. It has resisted the rocket blower, the sensor pen and about 10 passes of wet cleaning. Strange thing is, rather than seeing slight improvement with each pass, the spots change & move around (sometimes a few go away, sometimes they seem to multiply) but they just won't go away. I've used the Dust-Aid device with success on other sensors, but I'm out of the cleaning strips, and at any rate that's usually my intermediate step between blowing & wet cleaning. Any ideas?
Thanks!
-Greg

Apr 05, 2016 at 09:12 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

The last arrow in my sensor-cleaning quiver is usually a wet cleaning (or two), with VisibleDust SensorClean fluid and Vswabs. I once had to do it four or five times, after I sneezed on a sensor while trying to clean it

My last straw would be to try ROR (Residual Oil Remover) on a Vswab. I've never tried that. If that didn't work, I'd send it to Canon.

Edited on Apr 05, 2016 at 09:25 PM · View previous versions

Apr 05, 2016 at 09:24 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

I've forgotten the name of the product, but have you tried the little plastic "sticks" with the gel cube at the tip?

Apr 05, 2016 at 09:25 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

The green swab stuff works well.

The 99% IPA works too. Just need to use clean - lint free wipes.

-Mark

Apr 05, 2016 at 09:31 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

I send the camera bodies to Nikon for sensor cleaning.

EBH

Apr 05, 2016 at 09:47 PM
grog13
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

gdanmitchell wrote:
I've forgotten the name of the product, but have you tried the little plastic "sticks" with the gel cube at the tip?

Haven't tried that, but I think it's pretty much the same thing as the Dust-Aid (used to be known as "Sensor Stamp") - a sticky silicone pad you press on the sensor, then clean on a special adhesive strip. I've ordered more strips for my Dust-Aid and if that doesn't do it, might try the gel thingy.

Apr 05, 2016 at 09:54 PM
grog13
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

Ziffl3 wrote:
The green swab stuff works well.

The 99% IPA works too. Just need to use clean - lint free wipes.

-Mark

99% IPA?? As in India Pale Ale?

Apr 05, 2016 at 09:56 PM
grog13
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

jcolwell wrote:
My last straw would be to try ROR (Residual Oil Remover) on a Vswab. I've never tried that. If that didn't work, I'd send it to Canon.

It would indeed seem that there is oil on it, since the wet cleaning seems to move it around but not remove it. Anybody tried this ROR stuff?

Apr 05, 2016 at 09:59 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

grog13 wrote:
It would indeed seem that there is oil on it, since the wet cleaning seems to move it around but not remove it. Anybody tried this ROR stuff?

I've used ROR on lenses for 30+ years, but not on a sensor.

EBH

Apr 05, 2016 at 10:05 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

I have had some defective pre-moistened sensor swabs that did what you describe. I also had issues with pec pads.

The only wet sensor cleaning I've found that works consistently is to purchase dry sensor swabs and add eclipse fluid. Its expensive, and takes 3-5 of them if the sensor is really dirty.

Since you have tried with no success, have Canon try it. As mentioned above, it could be oil. A sensor will never be 100% clean, all you do is remove the bigger dust pieces, but dust starts over landing on the sensor as soon as you clean it. It should not be a problem for a few months though. Using a rocket blower regularly will help keep it clean.

Apr 05, 2016 at 10:51 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

grog13 wrote:

What kind of wet cleaning product are you using now?

Apr 05, 2016 at 10:52 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

jcolwell wrote:
I once had to do it four or five times, after I sneezed on a sensor while trying to clean it

Lol.... I had the same sneezing experience while wet-cleaning a sensor, although I made a precautionary move of tying a hankie over my face below eye level (ala bandits in the movies). The precaution was intended to prevent my breath from stirring up dust in the room.

I also turned my face away from the sensor when the urge to sneeze has reached the point of no return.

Apr 05, 2016 at 10:52 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

I just take mine to a local camera repair shop for that if it gets that bad.

Apr 05, 2016 at 11:48 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

If the spots keep moving around it sounds like cleaning fluid got between the glass and the sensor.

Apr 05, 2016 at 11:57 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

If you place the camera body on a table with the mounting opening facing up, then lean over it to peer in and attempt cleaning, anything on your clothes, hands, face and hair will fall in and land in, on and around the mirror box, mirror and sensor. The worst offenders are flakes of skin that are inevitably oily and stick to the sensor or whatever they land on. Even if you blow off the flake, it will leave oil behind. You are yourself a perpetual sensor soiler if you don't pay attention to how you go about inspecting and cleaning.

...and get yourself a Sensor Loup and cleaning set from Visible Dust.

Oh, and ordinary, particularly cheap bulb blowers are often coated internally with a talcum-like dust which will simply blow that powder and debris on your mirror/sensor. Specific photographic blowers when they get old and/or have been left in the sun will begin to deteriorate and blow debris too. If your think, for example, the Visible Dust blowers are expensive, there are reasons.

http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=444

Apr 06, 2016 at 01:23 AM
borno
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

I found the fluid that came with the visible dust green swabs did the same thing for me(moved stuff around). I now use a kim-wipe wrapped around an old swab and a couple drops of lab grade methanol. Sometimes a pentax oick-1 gel stick and blower. I am frequently cleaning the old 1dsii but the newer bodies stay clean much longer.

Apr 06, 2016 at 04:52 AM
Trad59

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

Ive always had success with Visible dust "Smear Away" liquid. I've tried a few of the "dust" removers, but I often find what you're describing, the stuff simply gets moved about...

Apr 06, 2016 at 05:27 AM
grog13
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

What I've been using is Eclipse fluid with the pre-cut strips of Pec pad from Copper Hill (RIP), and a Giottos rocket blower. I do try to keep the camera tilted away from myself, angled up just enough to see what I'm doing, and try to work quickly. It occurs to me though, that with it being pollen season here now, it may be hopeless.....

Apr 06, 2016 at 07:20 AM
GammyKnee
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

grog13 wrote:
What I've been using is Eclipse fluid with the pre-cut strips of Pec pad from Copper Hill (RIP), and a Giottos rocket blower. I do try to keep the camera tilted away from myself, angled up just enough to see what I'm doing, and try to work quickly. It occurs to me though, that with it being pollen season here now, it may be hopeless.....

That's pretty much what I do, though I just use uncut pec pads, wrap them round the wand and tape 'em.
A few of my personal sensor cleaning habits that might help:

- Use a room with closed windows. Give it a good vacuum clean then let everything settle with the door shut for a few hours prior to cleaning.

- My most trouble-free cleans for me usually happen about 20mins after I've showered. Seriously, it seems to help!

- Prior to exposing the sensor, give the whole mirror chamber a few Giottos blasts. You'll never get the sensor clean if there's a load of dust in the chamber. FWIW I usually do this with the body on a tripod, lens mount facing down, with one hand pumping the Giottos blower and the other carefully directing the nozzle. I do this a little away from the table used for the wet clean, and use a separate Giottos blower that is used only for sensor cleans; it lives in a clean drawer and never goes out in my bag.

- Beware using too much fluid. If I get the sensor too wet new dust clings to it as soon as I've swiped.

- After the wet-clean I always mount the body back on the tripod and give the sensor another Giottos blast or two.

Edited on Apr 06, 2016 at 03:31 PM · View previous versions

Apr 06, 2016 at 10:29 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sensor cleaning dilemma

Use a product called "Smear Away" from Visible Dust. It will take just about anything off the sensor. Follow the instructions and procedure very closely, or it will not work as well. You can follow it up with a regular swab after if there is any residue at all but I have found it generally leaves the sensor absolutely spotless. Eclipse (methanol) won't clean certain things, such as some biological compounds and saliva, so no amount of passes will do any good. With a single pass of Smear Away I have taken things off sensors that 5+ double passes with Eclipse didn't even touch. A little spendy but fantastic product.

If the swab just moves the 'dirt' around or smears it more, you either need another pass with a fresh swab or you likely just didn't use the product exactly as recommended to begin with. Most people tend to use too much product, or don't wait long enough for it to distribute evenly in the fibers of the swab before use.

After speaking at length with the head tech at Visible Dust I am also a convert from the popular Copper Hill method (which still works well in many scenarios).

Apr 06, 2016 at 02:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.