New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Low Standards

Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Low Standards

On another thread there was a comment that most of us who post must be "ancient." The theory being ---- "Some older folks have more time to go out to shoot, edit, post, etc. and also generally have the means to get some of this [really] expensive gear"

Well, I resemble that.

I may be a bit ancient but I still cannot afford expensive gear. I am still shooting a Canon Rebel. Actually I am on #3. I burned out the shutter on one and decided to upgrade from #2 to #3.

I certainly don't have a lot of time to shoot, edit, post, etc. In fact in the last month I have gotten out to shoot once and that was only for about 2 hours. Within the past few days, I posted 3 images from that outing. I am posting 3 more today.

So I have a new theory. Some of us oldtimers don't see well anymore. We can get caught up in our own style and hardly care what others think. As an oldtimer I stick to my rights to appear deaf and not pay attention to others. Finally I can no longer wait for those grand elusive masterpieces. So it helps to have low standards.

Apr 05, 2016 at 07:57 PM
mxwizard1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Low Standards

The end of March was 2 years that I retired. I was lucky to start young and was able to leave at ....well lets say between 50 and 60.I have lots of time to get out and shot, if it wasn't for all the other stuff I'm doing. As I told the young bucks when I turned 50....Because it my turn!!!!!!!!!!...Let the old timers rule,
...I absolutely love the last image...Now I have to go its past my nap time.

Apr 05, 2016 at 08:48 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Low Standards

Great stuff, Jim.
And I enjoyed your comments as well But I can't help feeling like you just gave some of us the finger, most artistically, in your first and third images.
Second is my fav and is not a structure/flower I can recognize. What is it?
Presentation of each is excellent.
While I like the third, I am wanting more DOF.

Scott

Apr 05, 2016 at 09:09 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Low Standards

Hi Jim, I could have said that other than I do spend a lot on gear. But this is not low standards at all, and that second is a home run.

Apr 05, 2016 at 09:26 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Low Standards

I believe the second flower is just a daisy. The first and third are anthuriums. The finger structure is the spadix which is actually a cluster of flowers arranged on a stem like support.

I am really bad about flower names. I am certainly not a gardener. When I shoot I don't even see the signs in the greenhouses with the names of the flowers.

Typically I am lost in concentrating on composition, lighting, depth of field and trying to achieve focus. I also suspect that the difficulty in making a good capture can cloud my judgment. When the shot is difficult I tend to think the result is better than it deserves.

Apr 05, 2016 at 11:19 PM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Low Standards

Age and gear and experience are irrelevant for Artsy photography.

Age and gear and experience are an important factor in commercial photography.

Whichever way the dice falls, pure passion is the road to success in any endeavor.

Apr 06, 2016 at 01:38 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Low Standards

WRONG! I said the folks in my camera club are ancient!

Second is fantastic.

Well done!

Jeff

Apr 06, 2016 at 08:56 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Low Standards

..and I believe you defined ancient as an average age of 65.....

I am taking photography courses with someone who just turned 97. He started to learn photography at age 95 and shoots amazing stuff. BTW, he also teaches a European history and a writing course.

Apr 06, 2016 at 09:10 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Low Standards

Camperjim wrote:
..and I believe you defined ancient as an average age of 65.....

I am taking photography courses with someone who just turned 97. He started to learn photography at age 95 and shoots amazing stuff. BTW, he also teaches a European history and a writing course.

Relativity is a powerful thing! I am sure that 97yo sees you all as mere children.

Goes to show that it's never to late if you've got the drive.

Apr 06, 2016 at 10:06 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Low Standards

Holy crap! You mean I'll still be dumping money into this hobby until I'm 97!

Very nice set Jim. I'm torn between the subtle colors of #1 or the vibrant blue in #2. I suspect hanging largely on a wall that #1 would be more pleasing.

#3 is a great image as well but my childish mind just can't un-see something in that one.

Was there a reason you went with a shallow DOF in #3? I thought you always liked to capture the full depth of your main object? To me I think it works extremely well on this image because it forces the viewer to look right on the very end of the pistil. Was that your intent?

Dave

Apr 06, 2016 at 12:43 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Low Standards

You are not supposed to unsee things. I go to a lot of trouble to look for those possibilities.

The choice of DOF for #3 gives a sort of lens baby image. Not something I usually shoot but I do look for as much variety as possible. I can probably correct some of the blurry appearance in post but I doubt the image is worth a lot of effort.

Apr 06, 2016 at 01:09 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Low Standards

Jim, I suspect that you hand hold, especially in tight public places. I could never do these hand held and would struggle with a tripod. I sometimes do floral at a distance with a long lens hand held, but otherwise this is way beyond my skills. It's not unsteady hands, its all about focus.

If I did not have a tripod, Live view and af, I would need to quit.

Apr 06, 2016 at 01:31 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Low Standards

Camperjim wrote:
The choice of DOF for #3 gives a sort of lens baby image. I can probably correct some of the blurry appearance in post but I doubt the image is worth a lot of effort.

Ummm, natural falloff isn't something that typically warrants "correction". I'm not seeing anything to correct. Did I miss something here?

Apr 06, 2016 at 01:45 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Low Standards

My last shooting session was in a greenhouse. No tripods or monopods allowed. I achieve focus by getting the focus approximately correct and then rocking back and forth to bring the image into final focus. Of course, I am often fighting subject motion at the same time. A slight breeze can make for a lot of subject motion for macro shooting. Greenhouses always seem to have too many fans running.

Focus is only a small part of the technique. Finding the desired composition is tough with macro. DOF and light are always issues. I have a tough time getting the lighting as I want it. Many of my images are backlit, but I try to avoid silhouettes and achieve a balance with front lighting. I often rely on a combination of natural lighting in one direction and flash or reflected light in the other direction. Sometimes I use side light and shadows as in #3 above. In addition to light intensity, I typically need to adjust the balance of lighting by changing ISO. The whole process requires intense concentration which is why I enjoy it. If I am in the zone.....and maintain low standards.....I can generate several keepers an hour. After about two hours of shooting, I am exhausted.

Apr 06, 2016 at 01:48 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.