New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

rattymouse
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

Headline story on the net today, INSTAX film cameras continue to be amazing sellers, by far Fujifilm's best today.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/fujifilms-instax-analog-camera-outselling-its-digital-devices-by-nearly-four-times/

By sales volume, revenue generated, and by profits (easily), the INSTAX cameras and film out earn Fuji's X cameras many times over.

Apr 05, 2016 at 07:55 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

Fuji is really riding this hipster wave.

Apr 05, 2016 at 09:00 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

Almost no competitors. Pricing is kinda high, hope it comes down.

Apr 05, 2016 at 09:28 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

Lee Saxon wrote:
Fuji is really riding this hipster wave.

This has been going on for a loooong time now. The majority of the Instax cameras look like brightly coloured jelly beans. Hipsters don't buy those. They don't even buy the one that is meant to look like a classic RF. Leica users like me do..
Hipsters use $2000 Sonys with $10 CCTV lenses. To match the output of their iPhones and filter apps.

As an aside, they also use typewriters at coffee shops, cuz only a dork still brings in a laptop to work on their screen play

Apr 05, 2016 at 09:53 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

Instax is about fun — nothing wrong with that! :-)

People love the little Instax cameras because they are fun, easy to use, and produce prints that they can share. Click off a shot and hand someone a little print. I don't use one, but I watched a group making photos this way somewhere in SoCal last weekend, and the folks who got the prints were thrilled by them.

There is certainly a niche (a big niche) for such things, and this has been a very successful product for Fujifilm.

Virtually all of the current serious camera companies sell a diverse range of products, from the lowest of the low end to the high end, and without that range of successful products the companies would not be successful. Often the large scale of the low end and/or popular market products serves as a profit center that allows companies to also pursue high end products.

Edited on Apr 05, 2016 at 02:16 PM · View previous versions

Apr 05, 2016 at 10:14 AM
mjbetch
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

You can't really compare the quantity sold for Instax vs X-Series.

However, you sure as hell can compare the revenue and profit generated for the company. Good for them. Instax isn't going anywhere unlike their peel backs.

Apr 05, 2016 at 10:16 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

It's like iPhone photos...nothing to do with quality, it's all about instant convenience. In today's drive through food, drug and even liquor stores we are in this instant convenience world.

Apr 05, 2016 at 10:27 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

With Instax you get actual prints instead of data on a card. Most images captured stay on the card, or shown on facebook. They are seen once and forever forgotten, never seen again.

Apr 05, 2016 at 10:50 AM
liggy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

I'm glad that the Instax is profitable. More R&D funding for my platform of choice.

It's fun. I just picked up the SP1 myself. People love it.

Little spendy on the consumables but not earth shattering.

Will put it to even better use for business. The next time I'm on a golf outing with customers - handing them prints over cocktails at the 19th hole will be a guaranteed success.

Edited on Apr 05, 2016 at 11:09 AM · View previous versions

Apr 05, 2016 at 11:05 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

runamuck wrote:
With Instax you get actual prints instead of data on a card. Most images captured stay on the card, or shown on facebook. They are seen once and forever forgotten, never seen again.

Absolutely. Digital files are instan(X)ly forgotten. I have INSTAX shots of my kids all during their childhood. THOSE are the family momentos, one-of-a-kind shots.

Apr 05, 2016 at 11:08 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

mjbetch wrote:
You can't really compare the quantity sold for Instax vs X-Series.

Sure you can. One is wildly successful and the other sells enough to keep the accountants at bay.

mjbetch wrote:
However, you sure as hell can compare the revenue and profit generated for the company. Good for them. Instax isn't going anywhere unlike their peel backs.

You think revenue is not connected to sales? Interesting.

Apr 05, 2016 at 11:10 AM
mjbetch
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

rattymouse wrote:
Sure you can. One is wildly successful and the other sells enough to keep the accountants at bay.

You think revenue is not connected to sales? Interesting.

Of course there are going to be more sales of Instax as they appeal to a much broader target market. You can pick one up on a whim for $60. The new X-Pro2 for $1700? The average consumer isn't even going to think twice about it. Hence more sales for Instax, obviously.

It's like comparing comparing Toyota sales to Lexus F Performance sales.

The goal of a company is profit.

We won't include overhead for the sake of the comparison.

If I sold 1000 pieces of product a for $1 each, I'd have $1000.
If I sold 250 pieces of product for $5 each, I'd have $1250.

That's 25% more revenue with 75% less quantity sold.

To answer your question, of course revenue is connected to sales. However, you can't really compare the quantity sold of product geared to two different target markets. As a company, you can definitely compare revenue of those two products, though. Make sense?

Apr 05, 2016 at 11:51 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

runamuck wrote:

And what shoe box or junky album do the prints end up at. With digital images, I can upload an image while traveling and 100's of my friends and followers can see the image and my blog about it. With a print in hand in Vietnam...well I guess I can look at it and forget it on the dresser drawer while packing.

Personally I make photo books from all my travels and the quality from these books totally blows the doors off any instant small sized print. I've actually started scanning all my family photo albums from the last 40 years so I can make photo books to give to the kids so the memories get passed along.

I see zero advantage of instant prints other than you can hand it to someone that has no phone...otherwise I just e-mail or text them the image and they have it instantly...able to share that image through the net with family and friends.

Apr 05, 2016 at 11:54 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

My local McDonalds outsells my favourite brewpub by at least a couple magnitudes...but guess where I go to when I want a burger.

Apr 05, 2016 at 11:57 AM
tgrantster
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

They also have the little printer thing that I believe uses the same "paper". Been thinking of getting one for travel. It can be synced up with a phone and you can print images taken with your phone. I will sometimes have my phone and X-T1 synced up and then I could download images to my phone and use my phone and this little printer to rip off some shots.

Apr 05, 2016 at 12:29 PM
Ix4224
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

tgrantster wrote:
They also have the little printer thing that I believe uses the same "paper". Been thinking of getting one for travel. It can be synced up with a phone and you can print images taken with your phone. I will sometimes have my phone and X-T1 synced up and then I could download images to my phone and use my phone and this little printer to rip off some shots.

Yup, it's the Instax SP-1 printer and it uses the same Instax Mini film as most of the Instax cameras.

I have one and it's been great to give to friends/family on trips/events.

If you own an X camera with Wifi, like your X-T1, you can even print directly from the camera to the printer.

Apr 05, 2016 at 02:14 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

Ah, there goes the thread... ;-)

Apr 05, 2016 at 02:18 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

We're obviously not the target market for the camera but it was a brilliant idea from Fuji. Good on them for thinking outside the box.

Apr 05, 2016 at 02:38 PM
tgrantster
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

Ix4224 wrote:
Yup, it's the Instax SP-1 printer and it uses the same Instax Mini film as most of the Instax cameras.

I have one and it's been great to give to friends/family on trips/events.

If you own an X camera with Wifi, like your X-T1, you can even print directly from the camera to the printer.

A print button! I'm getting one!

Apr 05, 2016 at 02:52 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Instax CRUSHES X Camera Sales

snapsy wrote:
We're obviously not the target market for the camera but it was a brilliant idea from Fuji. Good on them for thinking outside the box.

Ironically, INSTAX is a Kodak invention picked up by Fujifilm. This film is what caused Polaroid to sue Kodak. Years later the technology ended up being sold by Fujifilm.

Apr 05, 2016 at 05:24 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.