Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Lacrosse - Omaha Lacrosse Club

jcnemy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lacrosse - Omaha Lacrosse Club

Haven't posted lately and finally things fell in place to shoot lacrosse for the first time - albeit our local club here in Omaha.

Really enjoyed shooting in the daylight...unlike the challenges of Friday Night Lights and indoor sports. I almost forgot how to shoot under ISO 3200 and with plenty of shutter speed and decent ISOs. Wow, what a nice change of pace.

With being the first time - tried various gear setups in order to get some reach due to the field position in relation to the sun. Finally seeing image degradation using both the 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters, both on the D3s and D7000....not bad...but noticeable, even stopped down a tad. I'm thinking I'll go native next time and just wait for the action to come within reach.

Used normal sports shooting techniques and concepts, especially with 'shoot tight and crop higher', however, since this a new sport coverage for me, definitely open to C&C to continue to fine-turn.

Looking forward to the next opportunity where I'm looking at getting more 'ball in flight' shots.

Thanks for looking,

JC

Apr 04, 2016 at 09:23 PM
jcnemy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lacrosse - Omaha Lacrosse Club

more 6-10

Apr 04, 2016 at 09:25 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lacrosse - Omaha Lacrosse Club

JC:

Since you asked, I will be glad to offer my opinion on your series (I shot lacrosse 8-years).

First off LAX can be difficult to shoot for the novice. You have captured some nice moments. Good exposures and focus in the series.

1. A nice portrait

2. Is hard for me to appreciate, too much of the defenders back. The ball is going up/down? Being passed/shot?

3. I like but the stick/head dominates too much of the image. Not enough emotion. Is the player on the far right a girl?

4. Always the shot where the photographer should have been more right or left to capture more of the face of the shooter but I like the shot.

5. Your best. Ball, face and background.

6. Loose ground ball shots work best when both D/O players are closer together (faces showing) and fighting for control of the ball.

7. Doesn't work for me. Not enough faces or action.

8. The BW effect doesn't save the image. Keeping all of the stick doesn't help either.

9. Did you get all the legs in this shot? A different crop might help.

10. is an almost for me. If both players were looking the other direction.

The more you shoot the better the results on much of what you can't control. Try when able to shoot and or crop in the vertical.

I like your thought let the action come to you. In LAX it always does. TFS

Ted

Apr 05, 2016 at 01:18 PM
jcnemy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lacrosse - Omaha Lacrosse Club

Ted ellis wrote:
JC:

Since you asked, I will be glad to offer my opinion on your series (I shot lacrosse 8-years).

First off LAX can be difficult to shoot for the novice. You have captured some nice moments. Good exposures and focus in the series.

1. A nice portrait

I like your thought let the action come to you. In LAX it always does. TFS

Ted

Ted -

Thanks for taking the time to look and provide excellent and detailed comments on each pic. Your observations and comments help shape and train my eye on what to look for, anticipate, and capture for lacrosse as well as post-processing techniques.

I did rely on the basics by trying to focus on the face, the ball, and peak action…but not being familiar with the flow of the game made it challenging and trying to follow that little white ball proved to be challenging as well.

Your comments alluding to cropping, the ball in relation to the action, focusing on the face, and basics to follow regarding capturing peak action are great tips that I'll focus on next time. Some are routine sports photography concepts - but nice to get a better idea on they relate to lacrosse.

Went back to address comment #9 and found a few more that may initially embrace some of your suggestions.

Again - thanks for feedback and looking to get back at it soon!

Sincerely,

JC

#11 - Vertical attempt at comment #6

#12 - Possible improvement compared to comment #10?

#13 - probably similar to comment #1 and #5

#14 - redo based on suggestion to comment #9

Apr 05, 2016 at 09:02 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.