New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 1 pic testing out new LED lights for headshots

nextelbuddy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1 pic testing out new LED lights for headshots

For the longest times I have been wanting a set of kino flos like Peter Hurley but couldn't justify the price. I wanted to dabble in the lighting and style for fun and if I like it then keep going with it but if not then I wont have much invested in it.

I have a detailed thread in the lighting sub forum here

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1417695

If has a list of everything including pricing etc and all parts used.

here is my test shot. Wife stepped in, she had no makeup and was reluctant for me to post it but she finally agreed I think I need to make some major adjustments in the direction of lighting as well as positioning etc but for the first shot of the set i was pretty impressed. I definitely want to add some solid back grounds as well.

I do see a lot of opportunity for me to use this setup and I like the instant results you get over flash as well.

thanks for looking!

ISO 100, 1/1000 SS @ 1.6 so I have tons of light coming from this thing.

First test shot with LED Panels by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

Apr 04, 2016 at 07:26 PM
wswartzwel
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1 pic testing out new LED lights for headshots

Very pretty model you have there….

They do a nice job of lighting her up without a bunch of shadows. Looks like they make a lot of light. One thing I notice is the catch light in her eyes, causes her pupils to look square ?

Apr 04, 2016 at 07:54 PM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1 pic testing out new LED lights for headshots

wswartzwel wrote:
Very pretty model you have there….

They do a nice job of lighting her up without a bunch of shadows. Looks like they make a lot of light. One thing I notice is the catch light in her eyes, causes her pupils to look square ?

yes and no. in this picture yes, but I do need to change the lights and also figure out the best subject distance to camera to lighting setup ratio. figuring this out will help sculpt that catch light to be slightly less square but for the most part the lights are setup in a square pattern thus will be close to that somewhat.

its not for everyone certainly and the light can almost give a flat full look as well but I do like the look and it has its places. I believe it can be a lot better I just need to practice with it and get more people in front of it as well.

Apr 04, 2016 at 08:03 PM
wswartzwel
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1 pic testing out new LED lights for headshots

Well it certainly looks great for first try, her neck and cheeks are glowing.

Apr 04, 2016 at 08:05 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1 pic testing out new LED lights for headshots

None little job there mate.

Apr 04, 2016 at 08:07 PM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1 pic testing out new LED lights for headshots

wswartzwel wrote:
Well it certainly looks great for first try, her neck and cheeks are glowing.

thats definitely something i want to change. its distracting and takes away the focus from her eyes and top of the head. I will be changing the lights around to see what balance I need.

thanks!

Apr 04, 2016 at 08:30 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1 pic testing out new LED lights for headshots

It's definitely a different look, and I like it for that. Things I don't like are the falloff of light to the hair. The hair becomes muddy, either due to the shallow DOF or graininess, not sure. Doesn't mean this is bad, you may be going for that look shooting wide open like that.

Apr 04, 2016 at 09:10 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.