New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · What the ....

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What the ....

I finally took a hint from some of you folks here and started capturing small jpg files along with my RAWs.
I figured this could give me a "base" for further editing my RAW files.

At this point I'm thinking my camera is a hell of lot smarter than I am.

Please take a look at these and tell me if you see any of my usual cyan or other color issues. As far as I can see they look amazingly good from a (non) color cast point of view.

I'm not positive right now but I'm pretty sure I had the camera set to "Standard" or or possibly "Faithful".

These are all sooc jpgs with very little clean up or adjustments done. I did crop them to where I thought they would be most presentable.

My next question is, If these look correct, how can I transfer the same exact look into my raw files to be used as a good starting point for further editing? I tried "sync" last night but obviously there is nothing to sync so I know that won't work. Simply using them as visual reference would simply be an exercises in futileism for me for know reasons.

My typical workflow is to pull my raws into LR then apply Lens corrections and then set the camera profile to one of my previously created xrite colorchecker profiles. This (I thought) was a very reliable way to go for me but now I'm not sure.

And yep Jeff, I got smart and went after that damn butterfly with the 100-400II this time.
It became an obsession this weekend.

Image 1 Unknown flowers near river

Image 2 Dove

Image 3 Cherry blossoms

Image 4 Butterfly #1

Image 5 Butterfly #2

Apr 04, 2016 at 01:46 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What the ....

Take this with a grain of salt as I'm on the work monitor, but these colors all look spot on to me.

Jeff

Apr 04, 2016 at 01:54 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What the ....

Cool, thanks and let me know if you see something different once your on your good monitor later.

Any iders on how to duplicate into a raw file?

Good lord, I just noticed image #4. Looks like I need to clean my nasty sensor!

Dave

Apr 04, 2016 at 02:05 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What the ....

Cool shots, no color issues, and the processing is great. You can convert Raws in DPPP with the same settings as in camera to get this loo and then save as a Tiff and have most of the Photoshop stuff available to use, like layers etc,

Apr 04, 2016 at 03:25 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What the ....

+1 @ looking good (at least on this browser).

Apr 04, 2016 at 07:50 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What the ....

Thanks Ben & Kent for the conformation. That's good to hear for a change.

And yep Ben, I have tried using the various camera setting selections in LR but most times it doesn't look right to me. Just for the heck of it last night I compared the sooc jpeg files to the "standard" camera setting in LR applied to the RAW files and it was very close with these images. I could clearly see a change/difference but it was close. I think my main problem is WB color cast issues which in these images it appears the camera sensor did a good job at getting right and didn't get fooled. I had it set to Auto WB. That's when I run into trouble me thinks. Regardless, I'll be shooting an extra jpeg file to keep on hand from now on for reference. I just have to figure out a good way to keep them organized because it starts getting confusing with all the separate files.

Dave

Apr 05, 2016 at 08:08 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What the ....

lighthound wrote:
Thanks Ben & Kent for the conformation. That's good to hear for a change.

And yep Ben, I have tried using the various camera setting selections in LR but most times it doesn't look right to me. Just for the heck of it last night I compared the sooc jpeg files to the "standard" camera setting in LR applied to the RAW files and it was very close with these images. I could clearly see a change/difference but it was close. I think my main problem is WB color cast issues which in these images it appears the camera
...Show more

I am not sure Lr/PS does a good job converting colors accurately, That is why I suggested DPP. If you use the same settings in dpp as you have in your camera, it ought to be an exact match to your jpg.

The one thing is if your jpg is 8 bit sRGB and your tiff is 16bit Argb, the jpg will have less color range, some colors may be clipped. The 16 bit is actually the more accurate, but it might look different.

Apr 05, 2016 at 10:43 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.