FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Tamron 85 1.8 Updated First Impressions/Comparison to Nikon

technic
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Tamron 85 1.8 Updated First Impressions/Comparison to Nikon

Mark_L wrote:
Looks like we have a new winner in the AF 85mm category. Marginal step near wide open up from the Sigma 85mm 1.4 in performance though so I'll wait for the Sigma ART version.

Great we now have another third party company in the mix making top class lenses.

The comments about spherical aberration and AF issues are worrying though. What use is an extremely sharp lens if in practice the focus plane can end up in the wrong place? I would definitely wait for a few more reviews and user reports, it could be that lenstip received a bad sample but you never know.
Other recent lenses from Tamron also seem to have some peculiar properties in addition to very high performance on test charts (which may be relevant to some users and not relevant to others ...).

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:17 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Tamron 85 1.8 Updated First Impressions/Comparison to Nikon

technic wrote:
The comments about spherical aberration and AF issues are worrying though. What use is an extremely sharp lens if in practice the focus plane can end up in the wrong place? I would definitely wait for a few more reviews and user reports, it could be that lenstip received a bad sample but you never know.
Other recent lenses from Tamron also seem to have some peculiar properties in addition to very high performance on test charts (which may be relevant to some users and not relevant to others ...).

Many other lenses suffer from significant focus shift (50mm f/1.8G is one such example). We'll have to see if it is ever really an issue in other tests.

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:34 AM
Sayeret18
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Tamron 85 1.8 Updated First Impressions/Comparison to Nikon

More review information, FWIW:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Tamron_SP_85mm_f1-8_Di_VC_USD/sharpness.shtml

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-85mm-f-1.8-Di-VC-USD-Lens.aspx

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:26 PM
technic
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Tamron 85 1.8 Updated First Impressions/Comparison to Nikon

Mark_L wrote:
Many other lenses suffer from significant focus shift (50mm f/1.8G is one such example). We'll have to see if it is ever really an issue in other tests.

True, but I don't remember reading this for the Nikon 1.8/85G. If it is a common problem it would in practice probably negate the potentially better performance of the Tamron.

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:55 PM
plaiditude

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Tamron 85 1.8 Updated First Impressions/Comparison to Nikon

Having a lot of fun with this lens, mostly using it on my 7200. It's really sharp wide open and in certain situations gives a hint of bokeh swirl. I'm surprised there is so little mention of this lens out there, very few user reviews and videos.

_AM25899 by anthonymarkphotography, on Flickr

Oct 08, 2016 at 07:57 AM
jrscls
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Tamron 85 1.8 Updated First Impressions/Comparison to Nikon

After just picking up the Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC, I have to say I'm seriously considering the Tamron 85mm VC. I'm surprised there isn't much discussion about this lens.

Feb 12, 2017 at 08:29 AM
jrscls
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Tamron 85 1.8 Updated First Impressions/Comparison to Nikon

Ordered this lens today so hoping to post some photos soon.

Feb 13, 2017 at 01:11 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Tamron 85 1.8 Updated First Impressions/Comparison to Nikon

jrscls wrote:
After just picking up the Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC, I have to say I'm seriously considering the Tamron 85mm VC. I'm surprised there isn't much discussion about this lens.

There are just too many good 85s and the new sigma has crushed just about all of them bar the zeiss otus.

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:02 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Tamron 85 1.8 Updated First Impressions/Comparison to Nikon

Yeah, but the size/weight of the Sigma puts it really in a different class. Though the VC is certainly no 85/2.8 Sonnar itself.

I'm going to second the positive review here. This lens is great particularly in that it has a lovely rendering to it. I can't exactly put my finger on it (anyone who says they can is probably a little full of themselves) but it has a much nicer look than the 85/1.8G. Or I guess I should say "it has more character than the 85/1.8G" since some people might consider that a bad thing.

Feb 16, 2017 at 04:38 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.