New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Beauty from chaos

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Beauty from chaos

While out shooting some cherry blossoms yesterday I had a welcomed visitor.

I waited for over 20 minutes for her to move to a better location but this was as good as she was going to give me.
I was not equipped with a long enough lens to pull her in so this is a fairly heavy crop.

When I first looked at the shots on my PC I didn't think I had anything worth while with this one because of all the branches and flowers were a huge distraction. So I thought I'd play around with some processing to see if I could isolate her from all the chaos and force the viewers eyes to her.

Thoughts?

Go ahead and let me have it. I'm guessing I know at least one of the things I'll get gigged on but I'll never know unless I toss it in here and ask.

Dave

Beauty from chaos

Apr 02, 2016 at 11:48 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Beauty from chaos

Nice job, I like most of it save the lower right and upper left corner, how about yet a tighter crop? Too much crop kills prints, but not web so much.

Apr 02, 2016 at 12:25 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Beauty from chaos

I don't have any issue with the top, but that big blob in the lower right has got to go. Once cropped I think this will be really nice.

Apr 02, 2016 at 01:46 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Beauty from chaos

What nice light you found illuminating the butterfly's wings. Very nice catch. I agree about the lower right corner, the upper left doesn't affect me at all, but it does seem it could stand just a bit of cropping from the top.

I'd love to see the original!
keith

Apr 02, 2016 at 01:52 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Beauty from chaos

Tighten that mofo up!

Don't shoot me, but def seeing a cyan and blue casts. Perhaps I'm seeing things myself, but people should be able to let me know if I'm off.

Nice capture, Dave!

I'm guessing you didn't have the 100-400, eh?

Jeff

.edit might have gotten a bit too tight with the rework

Apr 02, 2016 at 02:40 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Beauty from chaos

Neat

Apr 02, 2016 at 03:01 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Beauty from chaos

Thank you folks!

This image is a very far cry from where it started out. Again, In order to draw the viewers eye to just the center flowers and butterfly, I had done a lot (for me) of nudging and pulling and heavy crop to get it to look like I have here. It did not look anything like this in real life. More of an experiment for learning purposes I guess. I hope that it still presents as somewhat "real" as that's what I usually "try" to attain.

I gave the suggestions a quick try. I agree about the bottom blossom "blob". I did catch it before posting and tried to lighten it slightly in a failed attempt to keep from cropping in further. I knew you folks wouldn't let me slide on that one.

I've run out of pixels as this is nearly a 1:1 crop at this point. As Ben mentioned it will work for web viewing (barely) but not print. And no Jeff, I was actually thinking of running back in to slap the 100-400 on but I was too lazy and already had my head into shooting just the flower clusters when this gal happened to show up. Next time!

Thanks again for the help folks!

Dave

edit 1

Apr 02, 2016 at 04:58 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Beauty from chaos

I envy you already having flowers, maybe 2-3 weeks some crabapple will be in bloom.

If you do this again, consider pruning, I do that a lot for this sort of shot. Back when I had lots of flowers.

I really like your last by the way.

Apr 02, 2016 at 06:24 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Beauty from chaos

Thanks Ben. And yup, I had the pruning shears in my pocket. I remembered what you and Jim and the others taught me last year and cut out a few nice specimens I later set up on to shoot. Wife was not home. I'm playing around in post right now with a few of them. If they turns out, I'll post it up here for critique.

Dave

Apr 02, 2016 at 07:02 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Beauty from chaos

Or maybe a go for a more conventional composition?

Apr 02, 2016 at 09:35 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Beauty from chaos

Karen's is talking to me!

Apr 02, 2016 at 10:40 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Beauty from chaos

That is nice Karen! I'm not sure why my eyes think the heavy cyan is correct when I work on these. Your edit has a much more cheerful feel to it. It's funny you rotated it like that. That's almost the original position as shot before I hacked on it.

Dave

Apr 03, 2016 at 06:35 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.