New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Morning Light

pixarezzo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Morning Light

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/12901544_10209167247237692_5905783385236740164_o.jpg

Mar 31, 2016 at 03:33 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Morning Light

Nice image I like the softness of it both in color and image with sharpness falling nicely on the center of the flower.

Walt

Mar 31, 2016 at 05:24 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Morning Light

Very well done IMO.

Mar 31, 2016 at 06:09 PM
pixarezzo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Morning Light

Thank you! I was a little surprised the raw image wasn't sharper overall. I'm happy to end up with the final results.

Apr 01, 2016 at 12:13 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Morning Light

pixarezzo wrote:
Thank you! I was a little surprised the raw image wasn't sharper overall. I'm happy to end up with the final results.

Which lens, what aperture, what shutter speed, what time of day, what direction?
A little soft + a little soft + a little soft + a little soft + a little soft, can = a little more than a little soft.

The lighting is sidelighting at best (note rim lighting and direction of shadows), but looks to be a bit more oblique backlighting, rather than front lighting (at least the higher contrast key light). The significance to that, means that the balance of the flower (other than the key lit rim areas) are being illuminated by low contrast fill, i.e. soft light.

So, while the illuminance contrast ratio between key / fill lighting is rather close in terms of quantity of illumination, the quality of contrast (hard/key/specular vs. soft/fill/diffuse) can still remain different ... i.e. the bulk of the subject was illuminated via (uber ) soft light, and possibly captured via additionally softer characteristics of the lens attributes. Shooting WO can be a softer rendering for a given lens.

Also, shooting from mfd (or nearly so) renders the shallow dof also that softens your subject except in the most proximity to the focus plane ... which looks to be more toward the rearward/mid petals (aligned to the left rim lit one) rather than the front or some field curvature is working backward (from center) rather than forward.

Then there is another matter that is not well spoken to (I'm not as well versed as I'd like to be yet), and that is the color light on the color of subject @ warm on warm and its impact on things, particularly @ RGGB/RGBG where we are then recording to (largely) a single pixel of the four. I don't have a good explanation to the impact of this (exposure / noise / smearing / bloom / etc.), but I have noticed it can present some impact to the IQ that comes out a bit diff than expected at times.

So, there can be several "little" pieces to the puzzle that can add up to be a little more than a little.

Still, it has a nice rich, lovely look to it (first glance on cell phone). On the larger display, the lack of detail shows through a bit more noticeably, but it still has a nice conveyance. Probably not something I'd look to print very large, but keep it the right size and the loveliness of the light and subject render nicely ... just not detail junkie material.

Apr 01, 2016 at 07:16 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Morning Light

I try but cannot see the appeal of the blur. I would rather see a sharp image. Since the plane of the flower is pretty much flat that should have been easy. I shoot most flower closeups and macros as f/18-f/20. This one would probably work even at f/16.

Apr 01, 2016 at 08:22 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Morning Light

Camperjim wrote:

Since the plane of the flower is pretty much flat

I'm not quite sure I follow you on this one.

Apr 01, 2016 at 09:06 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Morning Light

RustyBug wrote:
I'm not quite sure I follow you on this one.

I agree with Jim on the softness - not quite working for me personally but I can definitely see the appeal. My problem is that my eyes are diving right into the middle of that flower - they have no choice. That isn't a problem, but being drawn to an area and the having the majority be OOF doesn't suit me.

Just my $0.02!

Perhaps with the flat comments he's stating that the depth of the petal edges are on the same plane so getting more in focus should have been easier?

Eric, mind sharing the EXIF of this guy?

Cheers!

Jeff

Apr 01, 2016 at 09:58 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Morning Light

beavens wrote:
Perhaps with the flat comments he's stating that the depth of the petal edges are on the same plane so getting more in focus should have been easier?

This is the part that I'm not following ... i.e. the depth of flowers vs. the FL / proximity of lens to subject distance isn't all the "flat". The part about not caring for the "softness", I get that ... just that I didn't follow the comment about flowers being (dimensionally) shot with ease @ plane / flat.

Apr 01, 2016 at 10:25 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Morning Light

RustyBug wrote:
This is the part that I'm not following ... i.e. the depth of flowers vs. the FL / proximity of lens to subject distance isn't all the "flat". The part about not caring for the "softness", I get that ... just that I didn't follow the comment about flowers being (dimensionally) shot with ease @ plane / flat.

I'm just guessing. Jim will shed some light soon enough!

Apr 01, 2016 at 10:55 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Morning Light

Why I don't do macros. It seems the sharpest focus is the top pointed edge. The rest is softer as you would expect, but the entire flower is in some level of dof without a huge dropoff.

I suppose it would be better if the closest parts were at sharpest focus, and that would be very difficult.

I typically judge flowers on color, form and composition as long as they are reasonably in focus.

Apr 02, 2016 at 09:26 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.