Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Please Critique First Wedding For I just Started Photography

Arjay18

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Please Critique First Wedding For I just Started Photography

Hello everyone..! My name is Arjay and i just recently started photography and i have been reading and studying a lot so that i can learn more about photography. just 2 weeks ago i had the opportunity to second shoot for a wedding. hoping you guys can critique my images and let me know where i can improve..? heres a link to my facebook page

im sorry i don't know how to post images here yet. but will try uploading here aswell.. hope you guys can critique my images, would really mean a lot

Wedding Images

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:13 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Please Critique First Wedding For I just Started Photography

There are several faults and mistakes I see.
If the first wedding I ever did had the same number of faults and mistakes, I'd have not got my head though the door! Come to think of it, I wouldn't exactly be crying now after all I have done so far!

Well done mate.
There is so much RIGHT with those pics that the imperfections that every shooter makes don't mean diddly squat.
I think you did a great job and for your first or 50th wedding, its a good, solid set of pics that I would guarantee the couple will be very happy with and will get you referrals.

My strongest piece of advise would be to put the opinions of your clients and potential clients first and the opinions of other photographers well behind.
Shooters will always nit pick and frankly often say stupid things like " You should have moved to the left to get better framing" When the picture is a totally unexpected grab shot like someone slipping over on their arse. Had you taken the time to frame the shot better, the picture and the moment would be long gone and you'd end up with nothing at all.

Clients Don't nit pick. They say they like the expression on the persons face, it's a sharp, well lit, focused shot and that's the beginning and end of their technical concerns.

When I deliver an album, one of the last things I say to me clients is " Tell me what I did wrong, what you didn't like, what I could do better or what I should change in any part or your experience with my photos or business."
I make notes of what they tell me ( if anything) and that's what I keep in mind.

Many say that the critique from other shooters helps them and if it has value to you, terrific. I would just suggest the one thing you keep in mind is whom is hiring and paying you.

My other suggestion is your work is highly competent and there is infinitely more to be gained at this point in your career as a shooter by putting time and effort into learning business principals such as marketing, advertising and sales than putting all your effort into trying to become the worlds best shooter.
Hundreds will probably disagree with me,you can only take each opinion for what you think it's worth.

My opinion is that you did and outstanding job with these pics and you should be both confident in your abilities and proud of what you have already done.

Mar 31, 2016 at 05:08 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Please Critique First Wedding For I just Started Photography

What gort said....
you did good.

From a consistency point, I would watch your skin tones throughout the day.
Otherwise this is a great place to start.

Welcome to Fred Miranda wedding section.

-Mark

Mar 31, 2016 at 07:51 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Please Critique First Wedding For I just Started Photography

for a beginner, that's pretty good stuff

Mar 31, 2016 at 08:15 AM
Arjay18

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Please Critique First Wedding For I just Started Photography

Thank you so much gort..! Thank you everyone i really appreciate everything. Thank you gort i will remember every word in mind. That is so true, by the end of the day its the client who pays you and who decide what they like and dont like. I really like that part of asking them at the end what you could hAve done better, what mistakes you made. I think i will incorporate that with my work aswell if you dont mind? Thank you all...! ^_^

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:57 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Please Critique First Wedding For I just Started Photography

Good advice all around above. If you're looking for specific advice on images, it is helpful to post the images directly to the site here and number them so that users can reply.

Anyway, looks like you are on the right track. I'm sure that you learned plenty just by doing your first wedding

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:32 PM
ogerisg321
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Please Critique First Wedding For I just Started Photography

For your first wedding you did great.

Critiques that I have:
- Stay consistent in your post processing (edit on groom picture doesn't fit in)
- I would like to see a couple wider crops of some of the images (bride and bridesmaid shot)

Besides that, well done and keep it up.

Mar 31, 2016 at 02:31 PM
Arjay18

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Please Critique First Wedding For I just Started Photography

Thank you Bsphotog and ogerisg321..! I would remember that. And with the different edit on the groom i was thinking of takin it out. I just loved the dramatic look hehe. and thank you for pointing out to have some wider shots of the couple. I really wanted to do it but all of the shots the main photographer is either on the side or at the bottom part of the image. I should say all of their shots were just candid? I never had the chance to have them pose for me because i dont wanna butt in and offend the main photog. Hoping i can get my own wedding and have the couple pose for me.. Im even more excited now hehehe

Mar 31, 2016 at 03:13 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Please Critique First Wedding For I just Started Photography

Arjay18 wrote:
I think i will incorporate that with my work aswell if you dont mind? Thank you all...! ^_^

It's something I have found very helpful and I do it with every client from weddings to glamours to commercial and events.
You have to stress you are not looking for pats on the back. Being the type I am, I will often say : give it to me straight, I'm not interested in the good, tell me the bad. A lot of times people will say " The price" and that's great because I know I'm on the right track then. If they thought the price was good I'd be way too cheap.

I would suggest you really work on getting CLIENT feedback as well as the general public.
this can be hard because we are trained to be all politically correct and if you can't say anything nice..... but that is not at all helpful in improving what you do. The last thing you need is to be told anything you are doing which is turning people off you is that everything you are doing is great. Depending on your friends, their feedback can be helpful, or not.

Mine know I'm too dumb to be insulted and what I am really after, so they will give it to me straight and love the opportunity to bore it up me. Often I will have a " How the hell did I miss that?" moment when something is stupidly obvious. We call it the " Too close to the fire" Syndrome which is akin to the old " Can't see the wood for the tress" thing.

It is important to find out what clients like as well as don't. Often you can be doing something they love and not realise that there is a big selling point there for you. You need to know those things too so you can make sure you keep doing them and highlighting what your CLIENTS see as one of the best features in dealing with you.

I do these oddball youtube vids. They started out as something for people I knew to see what I had trouble explaining. They started getting seen and popular and took off. Rather than instructional, people were commenting that they were hilarious just because of the phrases and things I say in every day life. I have nearly 14K subscribers now for a very niche interest and I work on the things that people see as funny because thats why they really watch, not as much as what I do. I try to be funny but still educational on how to build what I am showing and put it to use. The thing that constantly gets me is I'll shoot something then when I'm editing it think " Oh geez, that was lame" but it's key to the Vid so I have to leave it in. I put the vid up and get a load of comments at how funny and brilliant I was in that same comment.
Hmm, OK, better they think of it that way than how I did!

The feedback I get is brilliant because I just look for what people comment on and home in on it.
I did ask for suggestions for things but now they come automatically which gives me ideas and insight for what to do next.

The flip side is I have also been able to look at the whinges and complaints which are from a vocal but unpopular few and build on that too by taking mickey out of them. Not so applicable in this market but is does show the value of listening to your clients and giving them what they want.

Getting feedback from your clients is imperative to know the RIGHT direction to take and what you have to fine tune. Combine that with some basic business skills which will let you know how to make the most of the feedback you get and you will b a very successful shooter without having to worry about being the best shooter out there.

You can be the best but if you don't know how to market, price yourself or how to effectively deal with and sell to clients, you will never get near being a successful business.

Mar 31, 2016 at 06:49 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.