FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · A White Lizard Orchid, Himantoglossum, in Greece

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A White Lizard Orchid, Himantoglossum, in Greece

These were uploaded elsewhere in 2012 after Card Recovery software restored them from my corrupted card. At that time I did not have any of my current macro lenses or camera body (EM-1).

On our last day before departure, my wife went for a walk before dinner and returned to give a description of a flower growing in a lane, a short walk away. From her description, I thought it might be very special but my wife seemed unexcited about it. Anyway, after dinner, in the still-good light, I found it was what I thought, only even better. Unfortunately, there was diffuse shade on the plant and shutter speeds were not optimal.

It was a Lizard Orchid but it lacked any dark markings. Himantoglossum hircinum has been split into several species which cannot always be separated. This plant was growing in solitary isolation so I don't know if it was typical of its species in the area. Any way, it looks most like the Adriatic Lizard Orchid H. adriaticum. According to Zissis Antonopoulos of the Greek Orchids website, it is a hypochromic Himantoglossum jankae (syn H. caprinum).

Here is a normally-coloured lizard orchid:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1343299/

Most important is its "wow" factor, with its delicate, flowing streamers. A very three-dimensional inflorescence, I have tried to represent the impression I had of it.

I was having severe problems with the helicoid of my Elmarit 60mm macro, causing some images to be just out of sharp focus, so I returned the following morning and re-shot some images with my 90mm Elmarit (not a macro-rated lens) on my Olympus EP-2. Unfortunately, shade was even more of a problem than it was the previous evening.

The two shots from above have slightly different focus.

There was a noticeable amount of motion blur (even with IS) in the images when I originally posted them but I have now removed this as much as I can. However, it remains that the lens was not the one I would like to have used. It was probably at f16, aperture priority, hand-held.

The stereo is crosseye.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

Mar 30, 2016 at 01:29 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A White Lizard Orchid, Himantoglossum, in Greece

A neat flower Harold ~ Ron

Mar 30, 2016 at 07:12 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A White Lizard Orchid, Himantoglossum, in Greece

What an unusual flower. Love 3 and 4

Birdie

Mar 30, 2016 at 08:13 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A White Lizard Orchid, Himantoglossum, in Greece

birdied wrote:
What an unusual flower. Love 3 and 4

Birdie

Thanks, Birdie. In my whole life I have only seen this one example.

Harold

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:12 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.