Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Am I crazy for liking Art Filters??

Bradphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Am I crazy for liking Art Filters??

I just recently came over to mirrorless and if you would have asked me 2 weeks ago I'd have said in-camera art filters are stupid and gimmicky. Now that I've actually used them, I'm REALLY enjoying them. Most of them look like high quality instagram photos, but for some reason I've really liked the way a lot of them look straight out of the camera. Most of what I've been using is the film grain B&W and the pinhole effects. I'm also spending practically zero time on the computer editing a flat RAW file since the JPEGs come out of my E-M5ii so beautifully.

What are your thoughts on in-camera filters? Do you guys use them at all? Am I a complete disgrace to the photography community now after 10 years of shooting RAW

Mar 29, 2016 at 04:19 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Am I crazy for liking Art Filters??

I'm not a fan of those filters. Sometimes i see images that are really cool looking but I wouldn't personally use them. There's a guy around here a terrible photog he uses them all time and his shots look terrible.

Not saying that your shots will be terrible lol

Mar 29, 2016 at 04:30 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Am I crazy for liking Art Filters??

I don't use them myself, but as long as you shoot both RAW and jpeg, why not apply a bit of "art" to the jpegs ?

Mar 29, 2016 at 04:36 PM
mesoklay
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Am I crazy for liking Art Filters??

Yes, you are now a disgrace to the photography community. All kidding aside, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using them. Why would companies spend their sweet time to tweak or put out new art filters if they aren't used by masses? If anything, you should feel special for going against the grain. 8)

Mar 29, 2016 at 04:36 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Am I crazy for liking Art Filters??

Like whatever you like. Who cares?

Mar 29, 2016 at 04:39 PM
Bradphoto
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Am I crazy for liking Art Filters??

arduluth wrote:
Like whatever you like. Who cares?

I know, I know.

For anything serious I'll definitely be sticking to RAW as always. I was just more curious if anyone else actually used them, or liked them at all for that matter. For quick snaps of the kiddo they have been pretty fun.

Mar 29, 2016 at 05:22 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Am I crazy for liking Art Filters??

Go for it. I think digital photography has led to a bit too much stress when it comes to options, over shooting, etc. I'm not even shooting raw anymore, and I challenge myself to delete a lot of the jpegs I take before I even transfer them from the camera!

Mar 29, 2016 at 05:43 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Am I crazy for liking Art Filters??

I don't tend to like the heavy handed art filters, but I have often used the JPEGs from my Olympus and Fuji cameras. They can be quite excellent.

Mar 29, 2016 at 06:24 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Am I crazy for liking Art Filters??

Bradphoto wrote:
Am I a complete disgrace to the photography community now after 10 years of shooting RAW

yes you are, because everybody knows you are only allowed to enjoy photography through suffering, how dare you cut corners

anyway this is a techo forum, and there is a standing assumption that everybody wants to make his photos as hi-fi as possible, otherwise all meaningful discussion kind of goes out of the window...

so from that perspective it is our duty to inform you that your art filters might be affecting the technical fidelity of your photos

Mar 29, 2016 at 06:38 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Am I crazy for liking Art Filters??

Here's two versions of an image that I recently ran through an art filter. The left side shows the rendering from RAW, slightly adjusted to suit the occasion, and the right side shows the OOC jpeg. The art filter was a Contax Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 AEJ at f/1.4, on a notamirrorless camera (6D).

© jcolwell 2016

Mar 29, 2016 at 07:06 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Am I crazy for liking Art Filters??

As crazy as I am for liking soft focus lenses, etc.
As others have said, who cares?

Now if you are asking the internet audience for critique, totally different...

Mar 29, 2016 at 07:06 PM
mjbetch
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Am I crazy for liking Art Filters??

Classic Chrome, though.

Mar 29, 2016 at 07:53 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Am I crazy for liking Art Filters??

Bradphoto wrote:
I know, I know.

For anything serious I'll definitely be sticking to RAW as always. I was just more curious if anyone else actually used them, or liked them at all for that matter. For quick snaps of the kiddo they have been pretty fun.

I really mean it, and not dismissively.

I know a fellow photographer who only shoots JPEG. She's never used RAW. She uses crop sensor DSLR. Nothing fancy. Yet, she sells a lot of prints, more than most of the touristy landmark photographer I know. I see a photo of hers and can usually recognize it as one of hers. It's not my thing, but it's a pretty recognizable style. Her whole setup works great for her, she gets what she wants out of it, and fortunately for her other people also dig it.

Point being, "serious stuff" or not, like what you make and make what you like. Obviously if there's a client involved that can get complicated, but even then they could be interested because of your style, not your gear and the fidelity of your work flow.

Mar 29, 2016 at 09:01 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Am I crazy for liking Art Filters??

https://i.imgflip.com/11n8dj.jpg

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:12 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Am I crazy for liking Art Filters??

The Vintage ones found on the new Olympus models look pretty interesting.

http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2014/08/olympus-pen-e-pl7-review.html

Mar 30, 2016 at 05:55 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Am I crazy for liking Art Filters??

Never used any of them with the exemption of filters in the multi (dual) exposure app. I find that none of the digital film grain filters accommodates the real B&W film shot and the grain adjusted by chemical development.

Mar 30, 2016 at 06:13 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.