Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Image delivery resolution?

BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Image delivery resolution?

I give clients web sized versions of everything (compressed jpeg, 1600 max dimension) and print quality as well. For the "print" quality stuff, I am delivering 6000 pixel max dimension as my cameras are all 24mp. This means that I am upscaling any crops when I output from LR because, in my experience, this is far superior to trying to upscale or print large from cropped photos at their native resolution.

Does anyone else upscale or downscale delivered image resolution?

Mar 29, 2016 at 01:41 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Image delivery resolution?

Full size images are simply exported as is via LR at 240 DPI.

Web size are 2048px wide at 72DPI, sharpened for screen.

Mar 29, 2016 at 01:45 PM
wenkanzhu
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Image delivery resolution?

I think clients almost never print larger than 12inch, that is 3600px on the longer edge in 300dpi. So I downsample all jpg to 4k resolution.

Mar 29, 2016 at 01:58 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Image delivery resolution?

I deliver at 3000px on the longest side.

Mar 29, 2016 at 02:23 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Image delivery resolution?

I deliver at 3000 px on the long side because clients are permitted to print up to 8x10 on their own per the contract.

Mar 29, 2016 at 02:31 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Image delivery resolution?

Pixieset prefers 3500 so we size for that

Mar 29, 2016 at 07:27 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Image delivery resolution?

BSPhotog wrote:
...For the "print" quality stuff, I am delivering 6000 pixel max dimension as my cameras are all 24mp. This means that I am upscaling any crops when I output from LR because, in my experience, this is far superior to trying to upscale or print large from cropped photos at their native resolution.

So Ben, regardless of crop, etc, you're exporting "for print" images at 6000 pixels (at what PPI?) and you're getting good results?

A lot of times these are sort of trick questions on the boards... this one isn't. I'd really like to hear how this is working for you as I haven't done near enough testing of the process.

Thanks in advance. I'd appreciate your insights and those of any others who care to comment.

C

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:14 PM
DoubleDragon

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Image delivery resolution?

We've been using 6000 pixels on the longest side, 300 DPI, when exporting from Lightroom.

Mar 30, 2016 at 09:28 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Image delivery resolution?

nolaguy wrote:
So Ben, regardless of crop, etc, you're exporting "for print" images at 6000 pixels (at what PPI?) and you're getting good results?

A lot of times these are sort of trick questions on the boards... this one isn't. I'd really like to hear how this is working for you as I haven't done near enough testing of the process.

Thanks in advance. I'd appreciate your insights and those of any others who care to comment.

C

Yeah, no problem. All things are relative, I suppose. For starters, I have nothing specified in my contract about specific resolution. I think the term that I use is "high resolution," so yeah nice and vague. Also in my contract, I don't guarantee any kind of archive service where I keep their images after delivery. If I am managing "better" versions of the images that I deliver, then that kinda sends me down a road I'm not sure I want to go down.

I'm exporting 6000px wide at 240ppi, light sharpening for print (matte paper). I sat down to grab a few images and prove my point, but quickly realized that I've been wasting my time with 6000px. I tried a few images, exported from LR at 6000px (uncropped, so this being their native resolution) and then exported at 3500px wide as well. I pulled both into PS, upscaled the 3500 images and then layered them. After flipping between the images at 200%, the difference is more than underwhelming. I took it a set further. I heavily cropped a 6000x4000 photo to 2768x1845 (arbitrary heavy crop) and did the same, exporting one at 6000px from LR with the same settings and exporting an other at the native cropped resolution (2768px). I scaled the smaller file up to 6000 and stacked them just as I had before. Again, the difference was pointless. The funny thing was that some skin tones actually looked better when output at a lower resolution. It eliminated some of the texture in a way that was not unflattering.

My only thought is that when I started doing this, it was several years back and the software was maybe less capable. I don't know, but it would appear that I've been wasting my time and disk space. I'm happy to admit being wrong here because, well, I am.

I started this thread half-wondering if it really mattered to clients and thinking about what people did when shooting cameras with vastly different resolution. I was wondering about how much of the file was being delivered from a d8x0, 5DSR, or Sony a7r-whatever. Hmm, I'm not totally sure what to think now, but I may change how I output my images from the wedding I have this weekend.

Mar 30, 2016 at 09:50 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Image delivery resolution?

Downsizing is doing a disservice to your clients IMO. If they want to print, they need full native resolution images. Unless it is part of your business model, don't dictate the max print size for them. If you don't want to buy 8GB USB drives or something that can hold everything, then export at 70-80 quality which drastically reduces JPG size but maintains quality.

Exporting at 1 ppi or 6 million ppi is the same thing and yields same file. Best to keep the metadata at LR default which is 240.

Mar 31, 2016 at 11:28 AM
Steve Tinetti
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Image delivery resolution?

I export and deliver at 4000px long side, with no upscale for cropped images and save level 12 JPEG. I deliver via download link from their gallery (Shootproof). I've never been a fan of image interpolation for upscale. I have 40x60s hanging in my home produced from <10mp images and they look fine, so I'm sure I could get away with delivering much smaller dimensions. I just stick with what has worked over the years.

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:28 PM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Image delivery resolution?

I simply talk with the client and find out what they intend to do with the images. Normally they are more interested in electronic viewing rather than printing, but I will typically deliver two sets of images. One set for email, 1000 pixels at 96ppi on the long side, and one full res set at whatever that is based on crops etc.
When printing it's far better to start with a non interpolated file and do whet ever is needed for a particular print.

Sam

Apr 01, 2016 at 09:54 AM
ayjayy
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Image delivery resolution?

Many of you are referencing PPI, but if you are specifying the pixel dimensions in the export, the ppi is meaningless. Right?

Apr 01, 2016 at 09:59 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Image delivery resolution?

Native camera resolution, post crop. No upscale.

Apr 01, 2016 at 10:00 AM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Image delivery resolution?

You can print gorgeous wall size prints from 3900pix or so. If you don't believe me, print a 6000pix image and then scale and sharpen it @ 3900pix. Let me know if you'll see any difference. It would be very very hard.

Apr 01, 2016 at 10:15 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Image delivery resolution?

Steve Tinetti wrote:
I export and deliver at 4000px long side, with no upscale for cropped images and save level 12 JPEG. I deliver via download link from their gallery (Shootproof). I've never been a fan of image interpolation for upscale. I have 40x60s hanging in my home produced from <10mp images and they look fine, so I'm sure I could get away with delivering much smaller dimensions. I just stick with what has worked over the years.

If you're printing anything, it is being upscaled at some point (in this case either in the print software or in the print processor). Modern software and printers are really making a case for how little megapixels matter.

---------------------------------------------

ayjayy wrote:
Many of you are referencing PPI, but if you are specifying the pixel dimensions in the export, the ppi is meaningless. Right?

PPI makes zero difference, correct.
---------------------------------------------

Apr 01, 2016 at 04:16 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Image delivery resolution?

I tried something new about a year ago. I was tired of clients getting poor prints done with the files I give. So I decided to export them as big as possible for a couple reasons. If they have the highest quality file possible then when they do their stupid extreme crops they will still be decent looking when they print them. Or, the files get rejected from the printers because they are too big. I find that a lot of local places have a file size limit and most customers are not smart enough to resize them. So
They come back to us for prints in the end after all

Apr 04, 2016 at 07:37 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.