Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

mjbetch
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

Greetings, all!

I'm looking to venture further into the Medium Format world and step away from 6x6. I'm currently selling my Hasselblad 500CM with the 80mm to try and fund a different medium format camera. Good idea, bad idea? Edit: Come to think of it, I don't think I mind the 6x6 all that much. I just wanted some kind of change. I think the real change would be the workflow of the Hasselblad. It's heavy and focusing it manually can be a pain sometimes.

I'm interested in anything really. I'm really leaning towards the 6x9 format with a Fuji GW690III.

I'm really open to anything and would love to hear whatever anyone hast to say.

Budget is $1100 but would like to spend $500-$700 so I can pocket the rest.

Cheers!

Edited on Mar 29, 2016 at 01:05 PM · View previous versions

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:46 PM
waterden
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

Can't see why you would want to sell the Hasselblad unless you simply have to have a different aspect ratio. If you are happy with fixed lens the Fuji is a great choice. Or maybe a Rolleiflex TLR, but that's 6x6 too. Interchangeable? Rollei 6008 series, Bronica RF645, Mamiya 7ii. Or Pentax, then you can use the lenses for digital MF at a later stage if you want. However, given your budget it sounds like fixed lens will be the way to go. Personally, I'd go for a Rolleiflex for street / portrait or the Fuji for landscape if you feel you simply must change.

Edited on Apr 10, 2016 at 06:17 AM · View previous versions

Mar 29, 2016 at 01:00 PM
mjbetch
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

Actually, you're exactly right. I was doing a bit more research on different medium format cameras and think the Mamiya 6 might be a good choice. You're right. I don't think I have too much of a problem with 6x6, I think I just want to step away from the Hasselblad. Granted, it's beautiful and it's one of my favorite cameras I've ever owned, but I think I just need a change.

Mar 29, 2016 at 01:07 PM
taran
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

If you are interested in a swap for a minty fuji 645zi "point and shoot" lemme know.

Mar 29, 2016 at 01:25 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

Gw690 and gsw go for under $700 - choose one to complement your hasselblad. Nothing beats them for real estate. Very simple to use, the minor quibble is the T shutter setting.

Mar 29, 2016 at 01:33 PM
waterden
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

Before you change, perhaps for the sake of it, I would advise seriously examining your motives for so doing. In my view, 6x6 is the optimal format. If needs be you can always crop to 6x4.5. The only advantage I have ever been able to see with 6x7 is the slightly larger horizontal axis for landscape shots. But, seriously, this is marginal. Of course, these comments do assume you are intending to convert to digital before printing - if you're going to pursue the analogue route throughout they are probably invalid. Except for square aspect, which I lthink is ideal for most MF genres except landscape. Personal opinion of course.

Mar 29, 2016 at 02:04 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

6x9 is by far the most flexible as the other sizes are contained within it. It also is the same ratio as 35mm which can be very handy as if you shoot 35mm and 6x9, only one set of matte sizes are needed for framing.

Fuji GW690III:

Is this a bad time to mention I'll be selling my gorgeous low shutter count - 065 - GW690III?

Mar 29, 2016 at 03:39 PM
mjbetch
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

Desmolicious wrote:
6x9 is by far the most flexible as the other sizes are contained within it. It also is the same ratio as 35mm which can be very handy as if you shoot 35mm and 6x9, only one set of matte sizes are needed for framing.

Fuji GW690III:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/Desmolicious/c377cdc5-0a94-4249-a8db-251d840fa350_zpszunsmqvv.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/Desmolicious/Downtown%20LA/Downtown%20shadow_zps7x8j6byk.jpg

Is this a bad time to mention I'll be selling my gorgeous low shutter count - 065 - GW690III?

Actually, it'll be a good time once I get this Hassy off my hands!

Mar 29, 2016 at 03:51 PM
mikejl29
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

Link to the Hassy sale?

Mar 29, 2016 at 03:55 PM
mjbetch
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

mikejl29 wrote:
Link to the Hassy sale?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1417950/0?nc=1#13455115

Mar 29, 2016 at 07:48 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

Only gripe with GW690III I have in its inability to close the shutter at the release of the cable during long exposures. You actually have to throw a black cloth or place the cap on the lens and wind up the film to do so.
Actually same goes for RZ67.
GX680 seems to be able to though, but its size is far from manageable on location. Another benefit of GX680 is tilt/shift/bend and relatively inexpensive lenses (well, at least in Japan anyway)

If you just want something for walking around and max exposure of 8sec, GW690III is a perfect solution.
Otherwise Mamiya 7 is worth having a look at.

Mar 29, 2016 at 08:49 PM
banpreso
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

I think GW690 is really big and it has a form factor where the lens really sticks out. 6x9 makes amazing negatives for landscape, but for street shooting I think it's a bit of an overkill.

If you are looking for something different than a Hasselblad, you can look into a Pentax 6x7 system or GX680 system. The advantage of both systems over the Hasselblad is PRICE, especially the price of the lenses, which can be had for under $150 each. Pentax has some nice fast lenses for medium format and GX680 has tilt shift controls and can also do some nice tilty bokehs. The shooting experience and operation of the cameras are also different enough from Hasselblads if that's what you're looking for.

I'd say both the Pentax and GX680 are not as streetable as Hasselblads, so you might pick up a Fuji GA645 series to go along if you like to shoot street. I think you can get it all done under $1100.

Edited on Mar 29, 2016 at 10:42 PM · View previous versions

Mar 29, 2016 at 09:14 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

Buy my Rollei.

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

banpreso wrote:
I think GW690 is really big and it has a form factor where the lens really sticks out...., you can look into a Pentax 6x7 system or GX680 system..

I agree that the Fuji MF rangefinders are "big", that's why they're called Texas Leicas. I used the GW670II and GSW690II (and some 645) for many years. OTOH, the Pentax 67 and Fuji GX680 cameras are a lot bigger. Just sayin.

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:27 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

If you decide to get a Mamiya 7, better to spend the extra money and get the Mamiya 7II.

Rich

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:43 PM
mjbetch
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

Still have no idea what to get.

I might just have to settle for an a7r lol

Mar 30, 2016 at 02:13 PM
deadhumpy
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

Rich,
Why do you say get the mamiya 7II over the 7? It was my understanding the only difference was double exposure and view finder. You can update the view finder for about $150 which still makes the mamiya 7 cheaper than a 7II.

Mar 30, 2016 at 03:32 PM
mjbetch
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

I've come to my senses. I think I'm just gonna keep the Hassy and invest in a better focusing screen.

What is preferable? 500c/m or Mamiya 6/7?

Mar 30, 2016 at 04:11 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

deadhumpy wrote:
Rich,
Why do you say get the mamiya 7II over the 7? It was my understanding the only difference was double exposure and view finder. You can update the view finder for about $150 which still makes the mamiya 7 cheaper than a 7II.

Have a look at these discussions:

http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00FYuk

http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/008yHj

But largely due to the improved viewfinder and focusing, lens lock/release,camera color, etc.

Rich

Mar 30, 2016 at 06:15 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Medium Format Film Camera Recommendations?

mjbetch wrote:
I've come to my senses. I think I'm just gonna keep the Hassy and invest in a better focusing screen.

What is preferable? 500c/m or Mamiya 6/7?

Neither. They are not comparable cameras.

Mar 30, 2016 at 08:29 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.