FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · A7R, Printing Nikkor 150mm: Pleione Shantung

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A7R, Printing Nikkor 150mm: Pleione Shantung

This is with a x2TC behind the extension to make f11, effectively, f16. A wider shot would have shown more petals but they are just more of the pink shown. There was a small amout of vignetting in the corners, cloned out, camera in manual mode, fill flash TTL RC.

The stereo is crosseye.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

Edited on Mar 29, 2016 at 10:33 AM · View previous versions

Mar 29, 2016 at 09:31 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A7R, Printing Nikkor 150mm: Pleione Shantung

It has been suggested to me elsewhere that the first image might respond well to B/W conversion.

I tend to agree.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2016

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:28 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A7R, Printing Nikkor 150mm: Pleione Shantung

Like the stereo. Think you are losing too much definition with the TC added for my taste.
Brian V.

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:52 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A7R, Printing Nikkor 150mm: Pleione Shantung

LordV wrote:
Like the stereo. Think you are losing too much definition with the TC added for my taste.
Brian V.

Well, here is a simulation with my EM-1, first with just the Kiron, and then the Kiron with a x2TC (not the same one as previously for mount reasons). Without the TC it was f16, with it f11. Working distance was adjusted to give similar framing. Processing identical, no cropping.

There are some DOF and angle of view issues, so you have to compare like with like.

Harold

Mar 30, 2016 at 03:51 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A7R, Printing Nikkor 150mm: Pleione Shantung

e6filmuser wrote:
Well, here is a simulation with my EM-1, first with just the Kiron, and then the Kiron with a x2TC (not the same one as previously for mount reasons). Without the TC it was f16, with it f11. Working distance was adjusted to give similar framing. Processing identical, no cropping.

There are some DOF and angle of view issues, so you have to compare like with like.

Harold

Think I see what I would expect to see- More detail but less DOF in #1 ?

Brian v.

Mar 30, 2016 at 04:13 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A7R, Printing Nikkor 150mm: Pleione Shantung

LordV wrote:
Think I see what I would expect to see- More detail but less DOF in #1 ?

Brian v.

Brian,

The DOF will be the same but the position of the various flower parts, in spite of my efforts, within it differ. The focus was a little further away in the second image and not as much on the near petal detail as I would like. (The best of several shots). These flowers are very challenging for the use of DOF.

To be fair to the A7R images, the extender there was a Kiron, whereas the only 2x I could find for FD mount was a Canon Extender FD 2x B, whose quality compared with a Kiron I cannot vouch for.

Way, back, I did extensive tests with my best TCs and test charts, camera on tripod, and anti-shock delay or flash, for various apertures of a given lens. Viewed at the same subject magnification, I could find no difference in the rendering of the minutest printed dots on the chart, with or without a TC.

Harold

Mar 30, 2016 at 04:41 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A7R, Printing Nikkor 150mm: Pleione Shantung

I now know why it vignettes on full frame. At 1:1 the image circle is 30mm diam (For the 105mm version it is 54mm).

Harold

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:58 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.