New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Super duper cheesy engagement ft. 85ii

FordTran
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Super duper cheesy engagement ft. 85ii

Couple of key things I've learned and would like to share with you guys since I started shooting for pay last year.

1. 85Lii is a magic ball of a lens, haven't seen contrast, compression, and sharpness like this in any lens I've owned in passing, 1.6 is magic. The focus is not as slow as I've been hearing, sure, relatively, but it's sufficient to get the job done. For ceremonies and events where one-on-one posing is not an option, I stick with 70-200ii and 35ii.

2. When the couple's have great energy and smiles, you basically don't have to do anything. Ive shot plenty with stiff couple's and the keep rate was basically 1/40.

3. Golden hour is like photography hacking (also cheating that I live in the greatest city in America, San Diego).

This dude is a friend from my last job. Guy was in perpetual dating mode until he met this beautiful lady and that was that.

Mar 28, 2016 at 09:32 AM
B Erickson
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Super duper cheesy engagement ft. 85ii

Nice shots but they are much too large for me to see on my monitor.

Mar 28, 2016 at 09:53 AM
mesoklay
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Super duper cheesy engagement ft. 85ii

Last one is my favorite. Almost a perfect shot to me if it wasn't for flaring. Great job here with the cropping, pose, colors, and all-around feel. She's happy to be there and he's confident that she's in his arms.

The second one (single) seems like the flash was forced directly straight on to her. Makes it look unnatural.

The other two are out of focus.

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:46 AM
FordTran
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Super duper cheesy engagement ft. 85ii

Thanks for the tips. Out of focus ones werewhen I used all focus points which focuses him where the contrast was higher. I'm constantly working on getting better. These are much appreciated notes.

The flashed one was forced to make it all Korean magazine quality (Photoshop and all). If you've ever seen those, very unnatural. It ended up being one of her favorites, I'm not a particular fan of straight on flash. I normally bang the flashes off to side for depth.

mesoklay wrote:
Last one is my favorite. Almost a perfect shot to me if it wasn't for flaring. Great job here with the cropping, pose, colors, and all-around feel. She's happy to be there and he's confident that she's in his arms.

The second one (single) seems like the flash was forced directly straight on to her. Makes it look unnatural.

The other two are out of focus.

Mar 28, 2016 at 11:29 AM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Super duper cheesy engagement ft. 85ii

That first shot should have been around 2.8 instead of 1.6. That would have put her face in focus while still blowing out the background. There's also distracting coma in his glasses that needs to be fixed in post.

Last shot is by far the best. If I was to use a cover shot for this engagement, that would be it.

Mar 28, 2016 at 02:54 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.