Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · How good are Pentax 645 lenses?

kparseg
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How good are Pentax 645 lenses?

I keep hearing that Pentax 645 lenses, including the most recent ones 90mm f2.8 macro and 300mm f4, are not as good optically as 645 lenses from other manufacturers, like Leica S or Hasselblad. I wish I could compare them side by side to make my own conclusion, but I do not have this opportunity, at least not in the nearest future. What's your opinion about that? Given that the light/sensor/other setting are identical, is there really a big difference in the way lenses "draw" the photograph, especially for portraits? All constructive suggestions and comments are highly appreciated, thank you.

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:08 PM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How good are Pentax 645 lenses?

I have no complaints with the 90mm the 55mm and the 35mm. My copy of the 300mm f4 isn't great. I'm thinking about the f5.6 version. The 120mm macro is great. My copy of the 200mm is no match for the mamiya.

Mar 28, 2016 at 05:11 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How good are Pentax 645 lenses?

The SMC Pentax-A 645 35/3.5 is better at the edges and corners than the Mamiya-Sekor 645 C 35/3.5 N, on a FF DSLR. I gave up on P645 because at the time I was checking, you couldn't mount one on a Mirex T-S adapter (now, you can).

Mar 28, 2016 at 08:01 AM
dgurtch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How good are Pentax 645 lenses?

Here is an old post from over on Getdpi. The poster is an expert and here are his findings:
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/35577-comprehensive-testing-results-observations-pentax-645-lenses-used-645d.html

Mar 28, 2016 at 09:24 AM
ksagomonyants

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How good are Pentax 645 lenses?

dgurtch wrote:
Here is an old post from over on Getdpi. The poster is an expert and here are his findings:
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/35577-comprehensive-testing-results-observations-pentax-645-lenses-used-645d.html

Thanks for the link. So, it looks like no Pentax 645 lens can be called optically stellar, especially wide open? Maybe except 90mm f2.8 macro?

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:22 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.