Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Tripod advice or recommendation?

M3Roc
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod advice or recommendation?

Im about ready to buy the Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 because its had such good reviews and its right in that great price range. Before I buy it, can anyone suggest something better? My budget is in the $300 range. I already have an Oben ball-head so that's covered.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1034139-REG/manfrotto_mt055xpro3_aluminum_tripod.html

Mar 26, 2016 at 09:59 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod advice or recommendation?

Depends on what your needs are. I had the older 055xPROB and it was a great tripod that lasted me many years before dying. I checked out this tripod in person, and was less than impressed with it. The changes between the 055x and this one were enough to change my mind. But it is of course all personal preference.

If you search the forums, you will find no less than 87 threads on opinions and advice.

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:18 AM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod advice or recommendation?

I used recently a mefoto carbon globetrotter that I got thought Greentoe for 300USD (it is 399 regularly). It fits in carry on and it worked quite well with a Nikon D600 and Tamron 15-30. I got no real complaints.... but since I am picky, i can tell that legs need some turning to lock properly (nothing bad,really) and the ball could be sturdier but hey, it is a travel tripod that works just fine. Not sure I would use heavier lenses on it.
BTW, I have never used the manfrotto you mentioned so I cant compare.

Edited on Mar 28, 2016 at 10:29 AM · View previous versions

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:09 PM
M3Roc
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod advice or recommendation?

I've been reading a lot of the reviews on B&H about the 055XPRO3 and needless to say, there are a number of folks who say that its not worth getting because of cheap plastic materials and because manfrotto is cutting corners to save money. This is rather disappointing to say that one needs to spend $400+ on a freaking tripod to get something worth keeping.

I don't need carbon fiber, I've always done well with aluminum. I just need good build quality. It doesn't seem like there is a good quality tripod anymore without the manufacturer throwing in gimmicks to jack up the price. I believe that on the lower end tripods made by manfrotto, if they didn't have their history and name, no one would consider them.

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:25 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod advice or recommendation?

Several makers have comparable aluminum and cf versions of their legs. Sirui, Induro, Benro (IIRC) come to mind. For example, the Sirui N-3004x is under $250 and the cf version is just over $450 or so. The Benro TMA series has a number of tripods that are offered in aluminum or CF, TMA28a or TMA28C. Slik has offered similar tripods to Manfrotto for years, perhaps a bit less featured but also less expensive. I've always looked to the Pro 700 dx as an alternative to the 055 series (although I got a Giottos way back when, mow will likely replace it - and looking forward to some of the current design features like non-twist legs for quick extending and collapsing, retro folding legs to reduce folded size on some of them, etc. I have a Manfrotto 725b which has eveolved into the BeFrees and that incorporates some advances/more features but also perhaps a more complex design than needed. But my larger argument against it (for me) would come from other features. So while Manfrotto may be a bit off track, others out there aren't.

Mar 28, 2016 at 01:25 AM
M3Roc
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod advice or recommendation?

Thanks Craig! I hate making impulse buys based on a manufacturers name and past reputation, we all should know better that those things don't always carry over and a name carries little weight for me, I tend to shy away from brand loyalists.

You've given me some good advice. I did notice that Sirui and Slik have a lot of ratings at the top on the B&H site at half the price of the Manfrotto stuff. Maybe Manfrotto has gotten too big for its own shoes?

I guess im not set on buying a tripod yet, ill have to keep looking around. I don't like reading too many drawn out reviews but ill trek on to find something suitable. I'm not looking to hold a lot of weight and im not looking to spend Gitzo money, unfortunately for them, I have common sense and am not sponsored.

Mar 28, 2016 at 08:53 AM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripod advice or recommendation?

The Mefoto Globetrotter also exist in aluminum http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/926476-REG/benro_a2350q2t_2_series_travel_tripod_kit.html but I have no experience with this particular one.
I did have a Manfrotto 190 way back and I must tell you that the Globetrotter Carbon is much better in about everything. Dont know about the alluminum mefoto although I have read good things about it. BTW I think Mefoto is the travel line for Benro

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:34 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tripod advice or recommendation?

BTW, I ended up with a Sirui tripod (and have a Sirui head) and it is great!

Mar 28, 2016 at 11:21 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tripod advice or recommendation?

Javier Munoz wrote:
BTW I think Mefoto is the travel line for Benro

Benro manufactures a line of travel tripods in both aluminum and carbon fiber. MeFoto is their cost-reduced brand and Induro is their slightly upscale brand.

Mar 29, 2016 at 09:20 AM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tripod advice or recommendation?

peter_n wrote:
Benro manufactures a line of travel tripods in both aluminum and carbon fiber. MeFoto is their cost-reduced brand and Induro is their slightly upscale brand.

Thanks

Mar 29, 2016 at 09:31 AM
Aloicious
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tripod advice or recommendation?

if you don't care about CF, the best quality aluminum legs I've used in the $300 range is the now discontinued Gitzo GT3330LS. superb build quality, completely rock solid, but a little heavy compared to equivalent CF legs. If you can find them used they'll be around $300 give or take, and they blow away anything I've ever tried from Manfrotto in terms of build quality IMO. The real problem becomes finding them on the used market.

Mar 29, 2016 at 09:25 PM
M3Roc
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tripod advice or recommendation?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I found a used Gitzo G1325 that was priced very well. I love the Manfrotto but Gitzo was really a tripod I wanted to try out.

Mar 31, 2016 at 06:53 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.