Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2016 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

hogwallow
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

Tenn.Jer wrote:
The 300 f/2.8 IS is still supported by Canon; I believe melcat was speculating that its demise could be coming soon, since its replacement was released five years ago.
Canon does tend to keep the "Big Whites" going longer than other lenses, even the other "L" level glass. The construction quality of these monsters is such that they keep going for years after Canon does actually stop repairing them in their own shops; I have a 200mm f1.8 that's still impeccable and plugging away at the age of 21 years. And don't forget third-party repair - Midwest Camera (for example) fixed
...Show more

Thanks for the clarification. You're right. It makes things harder.

Mar 30, 2016 at 08:39 AM
hogwallow
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

melcat wrote:
I can't imagine why you think maginification has anything to do with resolution. I have many botanical and insect shots taken with my 24Mpx 1dsMkIII, and for that matter the 12Mpx 5D I had before that, that would be impossible with the 100-400. Never have I wanted a one metre wide print of an ant on my wall...

It's a compromise for me. 5DR would be great for landscapes and macro. 1DX II is great for birds and wildlife. I went with the 1DX because I'm spending relatively more time on birds and wildlife, absolutely need the weather sealing, and I've never printed anything bigger than 16x20.

Mar 30, 2016 at 08:51 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

melcat wrote:
I can't imagine why you think maginification has anything to do with resolution. I have many botanical and insect shots taken with my 24Mpx 1dsMkIII, and for that matter the 12Mpx 5D I had before that, that would be impossible with the 100-400. Never have I wanted a one metre wide print of an ant on my wall...

I never claimed you could take a "metre wide print of an ant" (exaggerate much?) with the 100-400... but a higher resolution camera would give you all kinds of freedom to crop a frame-filling flower image without needing a specialized macro lens.

Mar 30, 2016 at 09:54 AM
hogwallow
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

All the suggestions were VERY helpful. To tie a bow on it, here's where I ended up:

Keep
100-400 f/4.5-5.6 II (Seems incredibly versatile)
90 f/2.8 TSE (I have a mineral collection and I shoot product type images)

Keep but evaluate
300 f/2.8 IS L (If 100-400 works out, sell when can afford 600 f/4 II)
100 f/2.8 Macro (For use with my MT-24EX; consider longer FL later)
85 f/1.8 (Low light lens; may sell soon or replace with Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art at some point)

Sell and replace
16-35 f/2.8 L, replacing with 16-34 f/4 L (For landscapes)

Sell and don't look back
70-200 f/2.8 IS L
50 f/1.4
24-70 f/2.8 L

In addition, I've picked up a Fuji x-Pro2 with some low-light lenses (16/1.4, 35/2, 56/1.2) that I'll probably use for anything indoors, for travel and for landscapes when I have the telephotos on the 1DX.

Again, thank you for all your suggestions. This is a terrific forum.

Scott

Apr 03, 2016 at 11:57 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

Tenn.Jer wrote:
Helpful hint: NEVER have all of your lenses displayed at once; to the uninitiated, one white lens looks just like any other...
Jerry

True. And honestly, my hubby is happier if he doesn't have to hear about it. He just says he doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about. Just do whatever. So.... maybe you are doing her a favor by not boring her with the details. In my case, I think he trusts me not to do something "stupid" more than I trust me not to do something "stupid".

Apr 03, 2016 at 04:52 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.