Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

hogwallow
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

I'm about to upgrade to 1DX Mark II, and I'm taking stock of my lens inventory: Looking for suggestions on what to keep, what to sell and what to buy. (Some of the lenses don't fit what I'm shooting as much as before, and with others the performance may significantly lag the new glass and the capabilities of the new camera.)

Up until a couple of years ago I was shooting a diverse mix of news/sports journalism, street photography and wildlife. Now I'm shooting mostly wildlife/nature and less frequent landscapes and street photography. No more news. No more sports. More video. Essentially, my hobby has become my job while my job has become a hobby.

1. What would you keep?

2. What would you sell?

3. What would you buy?

Here's the lineup:

300 f/2.8 IS L
70-200 f/2.8 IS L
100-400 f/4.5-5.6 II (Just bought this one for an upcoming Galapagos trip)
100 f/2.8 Macro
90 f/2.8 TSE
85 f/1.8
50 f/1.4
24-70 f/2.8 L
16-35 f/2.8 L

Scott

(If you believe only I can decide what I need and it's useless to take suggestions, no need to respond)

Mar 26, 2016 at 07:57 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

I don't see much in your list that merits selling. Maybe whatever it is that you aren't using at the moment.

You are short in the long focal length department... maybe a 600 would help out or if you like the 300, make it a VII and get the 1.4X III and 2x III to get the most out of the lens, TC, camera and DPP.

It is doubtful that the 1DX II will outperform lenses. Only your business needs should dictate "under-performing" lens replacements.

Mar 26, 2016 at 08:44 PM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

If it was me...

Fewer landscapes would suggest letting the 16-35 go; I find 24mm to be wide enough for my landscape needs (I know this goes against the prevailing wisdom).
Without extenders you may find that the 300 (as wonderful as the lens is, and I've owned two of them) doesn't give you the reach for any but larger animals...both my 300 2.8 lenses were great with the 1.4 extenders (II and III), and tolerable with the 2xIII, suffering the most in AF speed. Selling it outright will get you about half of the current price of a version I 500 f/4 IS, which is still an outstanding Big White, and the mainstay of wildlife shooters for years. The newer version II's are marginally sharper and considerably lighter, but at twice the price...
I'll always keep a low light lens, and you have both a 50 and an 85mm with large apertures; problem is, neither will give you much cash if you sell, so I'd probably hang on to both.
My 70-200 is one of my least-used lenses, but I couldn't bear to let it go. My 100mm macro is in constant use (wildflower season right now!)...
You'll love the new 100-400 II; I substitute it for a macro when I'm trying to travel REALLY light, and use a 1.4x extender with it too.

Once again, this is "If It Was Me", I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else...just ideas to consider.
Good Luck, and Have fun...
Jerry

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

I'd swap the 16-35/2.8L for a 16-35/4L IS, and buy a 500/4L IS.

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:42 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

Keep

100-400 f/4.5-5.6 II .... Will also cover Macro
300 f/2.8 IS L

Add

16-35 f4 Lis >>>> For the occasional Landscape
24-70II or 24-70 f4 Lis >>>> For the occasional Landscape

600II & 1.4 & 2X III extenders >>> Wildlife >>>> There's been chatter about a 600 DO

Good luck with your Decision.......Nice to spend others $$$

My pennies worth !! .

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:17 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

Keep it all

Mar 27, 2016 at 02:31 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

There is no need to sell any lens as the value is pretty solid. You can sell them after your hobby ends no regrets. the fact that a 1Dx2 is coming has nothing to do with lens quality. It's only 20mp so lenses that were good for a 1Ds2 will still be perfect for a 1Dx2.
I would sell the 16-35/2.8 and get a 16-35/4IS, I quickly sold mine after reading how good the new f/4 is. Then get your new camera and set up your small stuff on your study table as paper weights. Any items shill there in three years you could consider selling, but personally I would keep them.
Bottom line is that as long as there is money in your bank account, you don't need to sell lenses.

Mar 27, 2016 at 03:20 AM
hogwallow
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

rabbitmountain wrote:
There is no need to sell any lens as the value is pretty solid. You can sell them after your hobby ends no regrets. the fact that a 1Dx2 is coming has nothing to do with lens quality. It's only 20mp so lenses that were good for a 1Ds2 will still be perfect for a 1Dx2.
I would sell the 16-35/2.8 and get a 16-35/4IS, I quickly sold mine after reading how good the new f/4 is. Then get your new camera and set up your small stuff on your study table as paper weights. Any items shill there in
...Show more

I'm sold on the 16-35/2.8 for 16-35/4 IS swap. With the change in my shooting mix and the higher ISO sensors, I really don't need 2.8 anymore. I'm concerned about the quality of all my series I lenses because I'm coming from a 1D Mark IV. So, I suspect going from 1.3X to full frame will expose their weaknesses.

Mar 27, 2016 at 08:30 AM
hogwallow
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

danski0224 wrote:
I don't see much in your list that merits selling. Maybe whatever it is that you aren't using at the moment.

You are short in the long focal length department... maybe a 600 would help out or if you like the 300, make it a VII and get the 1.4X III and 2x III to get the most out of the lens, TC, camera and DPP.

It is doubtful that the 1DX II will outperform lenses. Only your business needs should dictate "under-performing" lens replacements.

Because of what I'm doing now, the 300 w/1.4X is my "walkaround" lens. You're right that I could use even more reach, especially for smaller birds. I'd love to add the 500 or 600, but I'll have to save my pennies for a while. But selling a few things could move the date up. It looks like the 500 II is not much heavier than my old 300, which I'm able to shoot in hand with no problem.

My existing camera is a 1D Mark IV. Do you think that I'll notice the deterioration at the edge of the frame on a full frame camera?

Mar 27, 2016 at 08:36 AM
hogwallow
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

jcolwell wrote:
I'd swap the 16-35/2.8L for a 16-35/4L IS, and buy a 500/4L IS.

This makes the most sense for what I'm doing I think, but I'd have to sell some other stuff to get the 500 and make sure it's delivered when my wife isn't home. I've got enough lenses that she probably wouldn't notice the big one at the end of the shelf.

Mar 27, 2016 at 08:40 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

hogwallow wrote:
This makes the most sense for what I'm doing I think, but I'd have to sell some other stuff to get the 500 and make sure it's delivered when my wife isn't home. I've got enough lenses that she probably wouldn't notice the big one at the end of the shelf.

Good luck with that (been there).

Mar 27, 2016 at 08:43 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

I shot older cameras for years because I thought the right lenses were my priority. Are you sure you want to get a 1dx2? If a 500/4 makes sense to what you shoot then I see no point in upgrading to a 1dx2 first.

Mar 27, 2016 at 09:40 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

rabbitmountain wrote:
I shot older cameras for years because I thought the right lenses were my priority...

Same here.

Mar 27, 2016 at 09:47 AM
leica_f64

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

If you're trying to free up cash I'd sell the 85, 50 and 16-35. The 24-70 and the 90 t/s cover any landscape you happen onto and the 100 macro can always capture an image the others can't. The 100-400 will give you reach. If you're looking for more reach and you're on a budget to add a lens with the new body I'd sell the 300 and add a 500 f4 and 1.4 and 2.0 extenders. The first gen 500 is still current even for the 1DXII and it's considerably lighter weight and less expensive than the 600. F4 with extenders will give you an edge beyond the f5.6 on the 100-400.

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:02 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

hogwallow wrote:
Because of what I'm doing now, the 300 w/1.4X is my "walkaround" lens. You're right that I could use even more reach, especially for smaller birds. I'd love to add the 500 or 600, but I'll have to save my pennies for a while. But selling a few things could move the date up. It looks like the 500 II is not much heavier than my old 300, which I'm able to shoot in hand with no problem.

My existing camera is a 1D Mark IV. Do you think that I'll notice the deterioration at the edge of the frame on
...Show more

The 300 f/2.8 would allow you to use both VIII extenders and retain the use of most focus points with the 2x converter.

Not knowing your budget, getting enough pennies to reach the 500 II or 600 II could require selling most of the rest of your lenses. Would you really want to do that? Maybe going out on a limb before 4/1 and buying from Canada is an option...

Another option is the USM 500 f/4.5. You could still use the 1.4x and retain AF, but no 2x and AF, at least with Canon products. IQ is reportedly nearly indistinguishable from current production f/4 IS lenses. The one big drawback is the lens is no longer serviced by Canon and in all honesty, should be considered unrepairable anywhere else. It is significantly less expensive than a new 500 f/4 though. Most pros that post here recommend not using the IS if you can get the shutter speed and ISO within acceptable limits, so no issues there with a lens without IS. The MFD on the f/4.5 is longer than either 500 IS or IS II.

The 500 f/4.6 will probably blow the doors off of the 100-400II from a strictly IQ perspective. The 100-400II brings an awesomely low MFD and the latest IS tech to the table- the MFD is quite long on the 500 f/4.5. The 100-400II + 1.4x gives you 560mm at nearly f/8 while the 500 f/4.5 + 1.4x is 700mm at f/6.3. That is a significant difference and probably beats the Sigma at 600mm IQ wise.

I had a 1D Mk IV.

I never used it once I got a 1DX. In very good to excellent light, the "pixels per duck" argument could hold some water. Once the ISO levels go up, the argument falls apart and the X pulls ahead quickly.

I am very interested in the XII, but it is a big nut to crack for a hobbyist, and I can wait. The increased AF points at f/8 are very interesting to me, as is better colors at lower ISOs.

In my opinion, there is a significant difference between the 1D Mk IV and the 1DX. The 1DX is pretty "reasonable" now compared to when it first came out (I waited there too) and it is considerably less than the intro price of the XII.

A 500 f/4.5 and a 1DX will give you an incredible bang for the buck. They could be sold later with minimal to no financial loss- and even then, it is really a long term rental.

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:20 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

I'm an editorial dude, too, but I haven't used my 50mm or 85mm in years. I had a similar lens lineup and found it worthwhile to update my glass. In particular, the newer 16-35 f/4L IS, 24-70 f/2.8L II and the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II. In all cases the older glass was good, but the new stuff is better--sharper, more resistant to flare. You really notice the difference when pixel peeping.

An unusual lens that you may or may not be interested in is the fantastic 11-24 f/4L.

I plan to be buried with my 300 f/2.8, but you may want to get rid of yours. Don't know how much you use the 90mm TSE, either.

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:33 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

A used 1Dx could also be a good option, if you *must* upgrade. In your OP, upgrading the camera was put as a decision made and not subject to advice. may I ask why the 1D4 has to go? Where does it lack? I've used a 1D4 and found the sensor magnificent for lower and mid ISO's. The only area where it could be improved was ISO 12800 and up and AF in low light. But otherwise it has been excellent.
In my history on FM and other fora, I have been saved sometimes by others who questioned my gear upgrade desires. There was a point where I had tunnel vision on getting a 1D3, but thanks to the forum I went with a 5Dclassic (this was in 2006) and it was a very good decision. I saved lots of cash which allowed me to buy two more lenses, one of which was a 135L. I was able to create special images that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Now I don't mean to say you're making a bad decision by getting the 1Dx2, but just offering an opportunity to discuss it.

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:52 AM
hogwallow
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

rabbitmountain wrote:
A used 1Dx could also be a good option, if you *must* upgrade. In your OP, upgrading the camera was put as a decision made and not subject to advice. may I ask why the 1D4 has to go? Where does it lack? I've used a 1D4 and found the sensor magnificent for lower and mid ISO's. The only area where it could be improved was ISO 12800 and up and AF in low light. But otherwise it has been excellent.
In my history on FM and other fora, I have been saved sometimes by others who questioned my gear
...Show more

That's a good question. The problem is, the 1D IV shutter is well beyond the end of its useful life and my third set of batteries are now losing their charge. (It's a reliable, lovable car that I don't want to put any more money into.)

Looking at a 1DX rather than 1DX II is something worth pondering. I've always had a tendency to buy brand new cameras and run them into the ground, just as I do with cars. The attractions of the new camera are: (1) some ISO improvement, which really helps shooting near dawn and dusk, (2) faster autofocus and tracking, (3) a little additional headroom for cropping, since I'm going from crop to full frame and (4) 4K video, which will enable me to carry one camera a lot of the time rather than a still and a video camera.

Going with a used 1DX I'd save about $2,700 or so, which would bring a used 500 f/4 down to about $1,900 or a used 600 f/4 down to about $2,800. That's a fairly strong argument for what I'm shooting now.

Hmmm.

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:28 AM
hogwallow
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

hotdog12 wrote:
I'm an editorial dude, too, but I haven't used my 50mm or 85mm in years. I had a similar lens lineup and found it worthwhile to update my glass. In particular, the newer 16-35 f/4L IS, 24-70 f/2.8L II and the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II. In all cases the older glass was good, but the new stuff is better--sharper, more resistant to flare. You really notice the difference when pixel peeping.

An unusual lens that you may or may not be interested in is the fantastic 11-24 f/4L.

I plan to be buried with my 300 f/2.8, but you may want to
...Show more

Right now, the 300 2.8 w/1.4X is on my camera more than anything else, but that could change with the 100-400 or if I buy a 500 or 600 at some point. I use the 85 occasionally indoors and when I don't want to lug the 70-200 around. But the 50 is the same for me. It was one of three lenses that spent the most time on my camera before the quality of the zooms go so good. I don't think it's been on the camera in the last four or five years.

I'm curious about the 24-70. I don't have to have 2.8 any more. How much of a step down would the 24-70 f/4 IS be in image quality at f/4? How much of a step up would the 24-70 f2.8 II or 24-70 f/4 IS be from my version 1?

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:36 AM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Spring cleaning the gear: what stays? what goes?

hogwallow wrote:

Helpful hint: NEVER have all of your lenses displayed at once; to the uninitiated, one white lens looks just like any other...
Jerry

Mar 27, 2016 at 01:17 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.