New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Cases Packed!

kalees

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cases Packed!

Taken on a street walk in Birmingham UK yesterday. I really like the expressions on their faces, what are they thinking?

C&C always appreciated,

Keith

© kalees 2016

Cases Packed!

Mar 26, 2016 at 09:52 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cases Packed!

Where's my ride?

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:26 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cases Packed!

They do have a look of consternation, not my style of shooting but I see no glaring deficiencies. Nice conversion to BW.

Walt

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:51 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cases Packed!

Agree with Ben, tired grumpy travelers waiting for their ride, probably home after a long trip.

Hope you don't mind, I've darkened the background as it looked slightly washed out.

Good job of getting close to your subjects. I like the body language you've captured, the man hunched over with his lips pursed and an annoyed expression on his face, the angled legs of both the man and the woman, the woman resting back on the man conveying a closeness. There's also an interesting triangulation here with the couple walking on the left hand in hand and the couple sitting on the steps on the right, the man yawning. The woman's torn jeans at the knees and the well worn soles of her shoes add to the story. (By the way, my daughter has a pair of jeans torn at the knees similar to this woman's...it's an unfathomable fashion trend.)

All in all, a well done street photo in my opinion.

Steve

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:09 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cases Packed!

Good edit, makes it stronger.

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:29 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cases Packed!

BG is washed out, but to me its within stylistic range and could go even further to isolate the subjects, place them on a sketched-like BG. Nothing wrong with the rework either.
But, why the tilt? I haven't tried to modify it, but does it the positioning of your subjects? Otherwise seems a bit of an oversight.
Expressions are great.

Scott

Edited on Mar 26, 2016 at 01:05 PM · View previous versions

Mar 26, 2016 at 12:01 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cases Packed!

In street photography, tilt can be to taste. Gary Winogrand was a strong proponent and at the time was much criticized for it. In this case, you might consider that it adds to the "off balance" theme of things not being quite right.

Steve

Mar 26, 2016 at 12:09 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cases Packed!

I agree, Steve, and I have done the same. As with the BG processing, I could go either way, but just wonder if it adds something here.
Scott

Mar 26, 2016 at 01:06 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cases Packed!

I really like this one! Fine with the BG being less detailed as the couple is the star of the show here. Same with being fine with tilt - def goes hand in hand with the expression on the woman's face. Tilted back more as if she's almost defeated.

They look a little hot around their faces, otherwise good to go!

Cheers,

Jeff

Mar 26, 2016 at 01:34 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cases Packed!

sbeme wrote:
I agree, Steve, and I have done the same. As with the BG processing, I could go either way, but just wonder if it adds something here.
Scott

Re: background , I suggested darkening it to make it more readable as I felt the triangulation previously mentioned was part of the story. On the other hand, lightening it puts more emphasis on the main characters in the foreground, if that is your direction.

Mar 26, 2016 at 01:42 PM
kalees

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cases Packed!

Cheers for the comments folks. Now the BG... I tussled with myself over this one and decided to was it out more than it was to keep focus on the main subject but was still undecided when I posted it.

Steve, I do like the edit, the couple to the left might have been copped out but again, I was insure and it would have been to tight to the man. I agree with the comment on the jean's I keep telling the grandchildren that I have thrown better in the bin, apparently, I have no style (would probably tend to agree!).

Scott, The tilt is something that I did look at, I put a level on it and it cropped out the girls shoe which did not sit we with me, also the step that they are sitting on looks level so it was a tough one but I decided to the full shoe.

On the whole, I was quite pleased with this as it was the only real keeper of the day for me, it was not a good day shooting street for me yesterday.

I will post a couple more from the day when I get time to go through them.

Again folks, I really appreciate the comments, they really make me think more when I am out shooting.

Mar 26, 2016 at 01:53 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cases Packed!

Not much to add, but another vote for liking it. The expressive capture can probably tolerate a lot of diff manner of rework / presentation.

Mar 27, 2016 at 03:45 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cases Packed!

I really like this shot. I like the high contrast original to separate them from the background. I also like the 'tilt' -- obviously they are not on level ground but having them appear level is good. The angled lines of the steps in the background draw my eye right to them like a big arrow.

Mar 29, 2016 at 07:44 AM
Henry Lydecker
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cases Packed!

Thanks for sharing, and everyone has said much of what I would have. I didn't notice the tilt, I was focused on them and their faces and poses. I like it, and want to know what they were looking at...

Mar 30, 2016 at 04:20 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Cases Packed!

To me the second older couple offered a priceless mirror/counterpoint. In the following version I re-composed it to illustrate how a simple content shift could raise the meaning quotient. Of course, getting everyone involved to cooperate and for the older couple to shift position just for your shot was probably not an option.

Mar 30, 2016 at 03:10 PM
kalees

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Cases Packed!

Hi AuntiPode,

I really like what you have done there, I never really looked too much at the couple in the background, again, learning that I need to look all around the image for anything that might not be obvious at first!

Mar 31, 2016 at 04:50 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.