New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Contax 100 f2 vs. Leica R 90

nehemiahphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Contax 100 f2 vs. Leica R 90

Anyone shot these two lenses enough to be comparatively familiar, specifically for portraits, and occasionally landscape/urban/nature shooting? Specifically, highlight retention, color palate/saturation, fringing, focus throw, bokeh, focus transition, focus accuracy on a7 and just general impressions after shooting the two lenses.

Thanks!

Mar 24, 2016 at 05:35 PM
rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Contax 100 f2 vs. Leica R 90

I can speak about the CZ P100. Being an older generation of Planar, it has lower contrast w/o and less optical correction all around. Unlike most Planars, the bokeh is beautifully smooth. It has freakishly low linear distortion and is, therefore, just perfect for cityscape: I call it an infinity-focus makro. Perhaps because the sharpness is merely moderate when w/o, there is no glaring LCA, although it's not an apo. In keeping with the Contax RTS line, and because of the long throw, the DOF scale is real and usable. I was never willing to mount it on my Canon D30/1Ds bodies because the large "shark fin" would grind off plastic from the mirror box. All that is past history with the A7ii:

I don't shoot portraits @ f/2, but this was a studio test and, no, the lens does not vignette at top-of-frame!

Mar 24, 2016 at 06:56 PM
Sam_W
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Contax 100 f2 vs. Leica R 90

Do you mean the Leica Elmarit-R 2/90 (v1 or v2), or the Leica Apo-Elmarit-R 2/90? Vast difference between the Apo and non-Apo versions.

The non-Apo is more comparable to the C/Y Planar 2/100, though they each have their own full character, as well as personalities.

The Apo 2/90 is fairly raw machine excellence. Almost everything is great or better, though it lacks some character, as it's kinda too perfect. (It's like Leica's take on the Otus line, if they had been released in reverse chronological order.)

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:44 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Contax 100 f2 vs. Leica R 90

Sam_W wrote:
Do you mean the Leica Elmarit-R 2/90 (v1 or v2), or the Leica Apo-Elmarit-R 2/90? Vast difference between the Apo and non-Apo versions.

The non-Apo is more comparable to the C/Y Planar 2/100, though they each have their own full character, as well as personalities.

The Apo 2/90 is fairly raw machine excellence. Almost everything is great or better, though it lacks some character, as it's kinda too perfect. (It's like Leica's take on the Otus line, if they had been released in reverse chronological order.)

Sorry--the R 90.

Mar 25, 2016 at 02:35 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.