New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Larger Barndoors?

cambyses
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Larger Barndoors?

Does anyone know of any 3rd-party or DIY barn doors that would fit the larger Profoto reflectors like Magnum and Narrow Beam reflector?

For our standard zoom reflectors, I paid just $24 for the generic Fotodiox barndoors. The build quality is not very good, but it does the job:
http://amzn.com/B0054EJ5GW

But I cannot seem to find anything for the larger reflectors, and the Profoto barn doors are insanely expensive, even for the Profoto standard ($840).

Thanks...

Mar 24, 2016 at 01:47 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Larger Barndoors?

Make your own with Rosco Cinefoil.
Rosco Cinefoil

Mar 24, 2016 at 01:56 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Larger Barndoors?

I have the OEM barndoors for Profoto standard zoom reflectors, and found them to be near worthless for light control. The NarrowBeam doesn't particularly need narrowing, but the Magnum does benefit from a grid (and remains compact). If the grid pattern mars a specular in your subject, then DIY barndoors would be cool. My notion is actually closer to a snoot: long cardboard tube (of circular or square cross-section) lined with velvet. Position in front of the light on its own grip arm. I mean to build one of these...

Mar 24, 2016 at 02:17 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Larger Barndoors?

I don't think barn doors and grids serve the same purpose though. With grids you end up with a more focused/narrowed circular light whereas with barn doors, you technically can enforce somewhat asymmetric control on the light. (couple of examples shown here: http://lowel.tiffen.com/edu/light_controls/barndoors.html). Of course, one can achieve similar results with flags too, but barn doors would just make it more convenient and easier particularly for smaller adjustments.

Anyway, since we already had both Magnum and Narrow Beam Reflector, I just bit the bullet and bought the barn doors for them when a new one got listed on eBay for less than half the retail price. Even at half price, it is still way too expensive, IMO, but, hey, what can I do? It is Profoto after all, and I figured I can use it, and if/when I need extra cash, sell it again, hopefully at small loss.

Apr 01, 2016 at 05:26 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Larger Barndoors?

cambyses wrote:
Anyway, since we already had both Magnum and Narrow Beam Reflector, I just bit the bullet and bought the barn doors for them ...

We drinkers of the Profoto Kool-Aid know the price of admission. Please post your findings about the utility.

Regarding barndoors and flags, I agree they have the same basic role. Flags, however, allow far more light-shaping possibilities because their shape can be matched to the subject and they can be positioned throughout space. Flags also share support with other modifiers like scrims, diffusers, and reflectors. Barndoors and grids are compact and portable, but I rarely use them. I do like (diffused) snoots to confine stray light and for perfectly circular speculars—a tabletop staple.

Apr 02, 2016 at 02:55 PM
PhilF
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Larger Barndoors?

why can't you just flag your light with a cinefoil?

Apr 03, 2016 at 01:13 AM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Larger Barndoors?

PhilF wrote:
why can't you just flag your light with a cinefoil?

I certainly can, and in many situations, I will. But there will be situations where using a barndoor would simply be quicker and much more convenient with a more predictable result in how the lighting will actually look like.

Apr 03, 2016 at 03:34 AM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Larger Barndoors?

So I received the barn doors last night. And it is huge with an amazing build quality. No wonder it is so expensive! What I don't like very much though is how hard it is to put it on and take it off, unless I am missing on the right technique. It has four metal tensioners on the 4 sides to hold on to Magnum (or NarrowBeam reflector) and one would need 4 hands to mount it without scratching the reflector too much. So if anyone has one of these barn doors, would appreciate any hints on how best to mount it or take it off!

Apr 08, 2016 at 09:51 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.