Jack

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:27 AM
jancohen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Likes

jforkner wrote:
How do I post a "Like?"

You don't post likes, but simply "like" other posts (click on like at the bottom of a post you like):

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:06 AM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Likes

Or?

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:25 AM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Likes

Etherton wrote:
Or?

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1700/25913811842_a47e5b9475_c.jpg

Lol... yeah, I guess you could do that also. Won't show up in any counts though, but does that really matter?

Edited: now you've got me trying to edit things in your image, instead of the actual quick reply field.

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:05 PM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Likes

jancohen wrote:
You don't post likes, but simply "like" other posts (click on like at the bottom of a post you like):

That's what I meant. However, I don't see the "Multi-quote . Like" box on anyone's post. This thread is the first I've seen it.

Jack

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:27 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Likes

jforkner wrote:
I don't see the "Multi-quote . Like" box on anyone's post. This thread is the first I've seen it.

Strange. I'm using the latest version of Chrome on Win 7 64 bit, and see the box in other posts. Probably a stupid question (have to ask, just in case), but were you logged into the site when the issue cropped up?

Maybe it's browser related (the specific functionality we're discussing is driven by javascript). Are you perhaps blocking javascript in your browser settings? Which browser/OS are you using?

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:50 PM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Likes

I'm using the latest version of Firefox (45.0.1) on a Mac running latest OS X (10.11.4). I am logged-in.

I just noticed I do see the "Multi-quote ∙ Like" box on all the posts except the one with the image, (i.e., all the posts containing just text, but the one with the image---the one I would like to "Like"---it doesn't appear.

I also note that a post I made this morning containing an image has the "Multi-quote ∙ Like," but has "18 members like this post." appended to it.

I also tried using the Safari browser---same thing. The "Like" box does not appear on any post containing an image.

Jack

Mar 24, 2016 at 06:20 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Likes

Do you see the multiquote-like box when viewing the following post?

multiquote-like box test

I ask that because I don't think all boards are set up to display that box. For instance, the posts with images in just about all of the Presentation boards display a "Vote as Featured Thread" button instead of that box. I'm wondering if that's what you're experiencing.

Can you give us an example of where you're expecting to see the "Multi-quote ∙ Like" box, but don't see it?

Also, the "Multi-quote ∙ Like," with "18 members like this post." appended to it is normal functionality. It just means that number of people have clicked on the "Like" text-link.

Mar 24, 2016 at 08:08 PM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Likes

Yes, I see the box. But appended is “2 members like this post,” which I’m assuming is the reason the box appears. BTW, I know what the phrase means—it just seems that when a “Like” is made & indicated (i.e., appended to the “Multi-quote” box), the whole Multi-quote box appears.

You may be on to something with the “Vote as Featured Thread” information. You’re correct I do see that on some posts with images, but not the “Multi quote” box And I do see the Multi-quote box on my recent post with an image (although it has “19 members like this post” appended to it, but DOES NOT have the “Vote as Featured Thread” box. What would be the rationale for “Voting as a Featured Thread,” but not being able to “Like” a post? I might like an image without thinking it should be featured, for instance.

On the other hand…I just found this post on another forum that contains an image, but no “Vote as” box nor a “Multi-quote” box. I do see other posts without either box on other forums as well. See attached screen print. Its link is: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1420777?b=2

Thanks for working with me on this, BTW.

Jack

http://jackforknerphotography.com/Temp/FM-Problem.jpg

Mar 25, 2016 at 07:57 AM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Likes

Just noticed the "Multi-quote" box appeared beneath the above post which contains an image." Why not the post I referenced with the attachement? I'm really lost now.

Jack

Mar 25, 2016 at 08:01 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Likes

Jack,

Let me have a try at alleviating some of the confusion. First, with respect to the "Featured Thread" votes, that only applies to opening posts on three presentation forums: Nature & Wildlife, People Photography, and Landscape. Threads opened on any other forum will not have that button, regardless of whether or not they contain images.

As for the multi-quote button, it appears once a user makes a post following the opening post in a thread. This allows someone who, for example, is the third poster in a thread and wishes to quote the original poster and second poster, to do so easily and in an orderly fashion. Previous to Fred implementing this feature, the third poster would have to either make two separate posts quoting each of the previous two posters, or format his post manually to clearly attribute quotes and replies to the respective posters. Multi-quote is a simple way to select posts before the one you're about to make and quote them in sequence with the proper formatting.

In a post above, you posted a screenshot of the thread opened by user "eeneryma" which contains an image. Since it was not posted in one of the three presentation forums, there is no "Featured Thread" voting option. Also, since it was an opening post in a thread — image or no image — there is no multi-quote option since that is the only post in the thread.* Your post immediately above this one has a multi-quote option since there is a plurality of posts in this thread.

As to Fred's rationale for "Featured Thread" instead of "likes" in presentation forums, he mentioned that he would like to see more discussion of images in those fora, as opposed to people simply clicking on "like" and moving on. Therefore, "likes" are disabled for opening posts on those forums, but are enabled for subsequent posts.

Hope that helps!

* that thread now has more than one post, so you can see the multi-quote option below both:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1420777

Mar 25, 2016 at 09:10 AM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Likes

^ +1 Thanks, Mitesh--perfect explanation!

Mar 25, 2016 at 09:44 AM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Likes

Thanks, mitesh, for the explanation. I wasn’t really interested in the “Multi-quote” portion of the button; rather, the “Like.” Regardless, I understand now when & where it will appear. I must say I don’t understand the logic of disabling the “Like” on opening posts, but having it on subsequent ones. But it’s Fred’s website, so he can do whatever he wants.

Anyway, thanks for clearing it up for me. Just out of curiosity,,,is that explanation somewhere else on the site? If not, perhaps it should be an FAQ.

Jack

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:02 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Likes

jforkner wrote:
... I must say I don’t understand the logic of disabling the “Like” on opening posts, but having it on subsequent ones.

Keep in mind, this only applies to threads in the presentation forums. Opening posts in threads on other forums — such as the Canon Gear Forum, where an opening post may or may not contain an image — can be "liked". Again, I believe the rationale is to encourage people to vote for "Featured Thread", since the presentation forums are all about images, as well as to encourage posts to discuss the image as opposed to just giving a "like".

jforkner wrote:
Just out of curiosity,,,is that explanation somewhere else on the site? If not, perhaps it should be an FAQ.

Here is a link to a discussion about the "like" system in which Fred gave some insight:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1197558/2#11420951

Mar 25, 2016 at 01:27 PM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Likes

Got it. Thanks again.

Jack

Mar 25, 2016 at 06:53 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.